IGNORED

Warp30

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2019 at 12:47 PM, StephenG said:

… yay... stickers... ? 

:shrug:

lol I'm not a 5yo (sorry not trying to be a dink) - how about some... music? The live sets in a physical format or a warp30 disc with some unreleased tunes played throughout the sets would be dope. Stickers though? =/

you want a bunch of DJ mixes pressed onto physical media ? :shrug:

sorry for the knee Jerk reply. i just feel like, a good bulk of the WARP30 material was presented and exists purely because of the format in which it was presented in, and because there was no expectancy or requirement for it to be pressed onto physical. 

no physical online radio stream, therefore we can have a BOC mix of influences and inspirations. 

40 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

you want a bunch of DJ mixes pressed onto physical media ? :shrug:

sorry for the knee Jerk reply. i just feel like, a good bulk of the WARP30 material was presented and exists purely because of the format in which it was presented in, and because there was no expectancy or requirement for it to be pressed onto physical. 

no physical online radio stream, therefore we can have a BOC mix of influences and inspirations. 

No, for the most part I completely agree with you. I'm not about to buy all of the warp30 sets on physical or anything. But I figure the sets most of us loved (IE Squarepusher, Autechre etc) in HQ on a disc are at least better than..... stickers =/. Or maybe some of the select unreleased tracks that were played throughout the sets - like a "best of" warp30....?

I couldn't think of any other merch from that warp30 weekend I'd bother spending money on. I'm kinda underwhelmed tbh lol. Stickers? Might as well have LTD edition pogs or something.

In the wake of this big 30 celebration, read Warp lables unlimited book and it did actually expand my understanding quite a bit about what Warp really is. As much as I and quite a few others like to think their core is to only act as an outlet for stuff to feed hungry IDM neckbeard herds, there has been a wider spectrum of styles since from the beginning. Can't be so much surprised about them signing bands like Maxïmo Park/ Broadcast/Born Ruffians or other poppish stuff when they have been putting out some first works of goddamn Pulp. Also, didn't know that HipHop was kinda big thing to them, even had their own sublabel for it. So shouldn't have been surprised about Danny Brown or some R&B like Kelela or the NTS radio appereance of Death Grips. Wouldn't be surprised about a release from Death Grips on Warp.

Funny that from the very beginning Warp have been dragging the weight of the past releases all the way from the first batch of Bleep techno 12"s so 30 years later that general mood for expectations hasn't really changed. I'm not a fan of most of "that other stuff", but now stand corrected when have been whining about Warp changing into something that isn't rooted on, say, Artificial Intelligence series, which in the first place was meant to drag the focus away from being only a dance floor/ bleep techno label. Hah, I was n00b enough to think AI series was more or less the ground zero for warp, which made them known widely.

Just my two cents. Read books kids, it makes good for you. :rolleyes:

Don't know why I waited this long to check out the Kelela hour, but went into it yesterday not knowing what to expect and it was amazing.

Spoiler

小久保隆 - 01 [00:00 - 04:06]
Susumu Yokota - Hagoromo [04:06 - 7:52]
Marc Cary - Rhodes Ahead Intro [07:52 - 10:07]
Autechre - Altibzz [10:07 - 13:41]
Jonny Nash & Suzanne Kraft- Beluga’s Song [13:41 - 18:04]
Aphex Twin - Untitled [18:04 - 21:12]
Oneohtrix Point Never - Physical Memory [21:12 - 23:22]
Kareem Lotfy - FR3SH [23:22 - 26:55]
Biosphere - Chukhung [26:55 - 28:34]
Leila - Underwaters [28:34 - 31:28]
OCA - Heaven Cent [31:28 - 34:49]
Visible Cloaks - Screen [34:49 - 38:03]
Jaco Pastorius solo (live w/ Joni Mitchell, 1977) [38:03 - 41:10]
Iury Lech - Barreras [41:10 - 46:45]
Cliffdiver - Digital Dreams [46:45 - 51:30]

I wonder what will happen when the summer holidays are over and the second wave of Warp30 hits the shores of watmm?

Please Mr Beckett pull the necessary strings and get The Rome Track released. I think I might have a minor meltdown if it doesn't see the light of day by the 31st December. And that's just not cricket.

• 2 weeks later...

I can officially say after listening through the entire buffet of audio offered (twice) it is all worth at least two listens. The Bjork Remixed show is really good. DJ Nigga Fox, duh. All the Plaid. All the OPN. Leila segments are fire. Flying Lotus shows rule. Lorenzo shows are fire. Mount Kimbie shows are dope. All the lecture picks are bad ass. Mark Pritchard was good. Love the lonelady personal effects mix. B12, Darkstar, Electrifying MOJO, Blue Jam, Old Live BOC, Air Is On Fire, and all the Warp Works segments are incredible for playback. Finally the new BOC mixtape, AE tapes, Squarepusher liveset, and Broadcast and LFO tribute segments are just un stoppable. I say again. Great job Warp. You can really sink your teeth into this event. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/12/2019 at 4:33 PM, fringerviv said:

I can officially say after listening through the entire buffet of audio offered (twice) it is all worth at least two listens. The Bjork Remixed show is really good. DJ Nigga Fox, duh. All the Plaid. All the OPN. Leila segments are fire. Flying Lotus shows rule. Lorenzo shows are fire. Mount Kimbie shows are dope. All the lecture picks are bad ass. Mark Pritchard was good. Love the lonelady personal effects mix. B12, Darkstar, Electrifying MOJO, Blue Jam, Old Live BOC, Air Is On Fire, and all the Warp Works segments are incredible for playback. Finally the new BOC mixtape, AE tapes, Squarepusher liveset, and Broadcast and LFO tribute segments are just un stoppable. I say again. Great job Warp. You can really sink your teeth into this event. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you've wisely left Eno out of this, kudos.

Well the NTS weekend was pretty cool, but our friends over at Warp never made any money from it. I'm pretty sure they have been dreaming up ways of filling up their piggy bank for round 2.

Archived