IGNORED

Teenage Engineering x Ghostly Pocket Operator

Joyrex

All good man, it's just something I'm passionate about lately, as I've been part of some recent discussions about inclusivity in electronic music, so an argument like this kinda hits close to home.

Regarding the twitter link you sent, yeah it's an issue if people are starting to lose income, but much like any other industry, you just need to learn to adapt. I've never really made anything other than pocket money from playing gigs (or really anything else music related) but it seems the smart people out there are moving into other areas that are music related, but not necessarily directly playing gigs or making records. Stuff like soundtracks, sound design, education, product design, etc. I think that's a good next step for a lot of established musicians.

don't read if you are tired of watching me flail around trying to make a point stick

i don't know man. i really still think it's a very dark time.

it's never been my position to discourage anyone to pursue music. i always encourage anyone who asks me, because it's a lifelong pursuit that is its own reward. but it's a mystic pursuit.

my issue is, i don't think the gear companies are fostering that pursuit. they are catering to consumers who want to feel like they have control over the kind of music they like. now that streaming has fully permeated culture down to the deepest tissue, i believe that a pretty large portion of people who buy electronic instruments are doing it as an extension of consumerism, and not out of any kind of pursuit. this ghostly / TE collab, to me, reinforces that theory. it's pushing a certain kind of synth music as the pinnacle of the kind of music a given demographic likes, and then, as an auxiliary bonus, giving that demographic a little taste of the controls.

kind of like, in 60s radio voice: "I know all you kids at home thought Strands was a really swell album, and now kids, YOU TOO can make your very own midwest tinged subtractive arpeggios, thanks to our limited edition Ghostly International Pocket Operator. Thats right kids!"

it's literally like something bleep would sell with a box set of an album.

when you add that to the toll streaming is taking on most musicians i know, i can't have such a positive outlook. it's not about the money. for many people it is, but i can make money through other means. it's just that it's all completely devalued, and that's what really frustrates me. music consumerism is killing music production.

my issue is, i don't think the gear companies are fostering that pursuit. they are catering to consumers who want to feel like they have control over the kind of music they like. now that streaming has fully permeated culture down to the deepest tissue, i believe that a pretty large portion of people who buy electronic instruments are doing it as an extension of consumerism, and not out of any kind of pursuit. this ghostly / TE collab, to me, reinforces that theory. it's pushing a certain kind of synth music as the pinnacle of the kind of music a given demographic likes, and then, as an auxiliary bonus, giving that demographic a little taste of the controls.

I think this has been happening since the 90's in a way. Look at Roland's MC303 and other products designed and marketed to capitalise on the popularity of music made with their instruments from the early 80's in ways they did not envisage. Then look at how the MC303 has been used by Omar S and other raw electronics musicians of the 2000's in ways Roland did not envisage. Omar used the MC303 because it was cheap. Just like the TB303, 909 etc were all dirt cheap when Juan Atkins etc picked up theirs.

Maybe in years to come some kid will pick up an Elektron Model Samples in a charity shop for €50 and do something really interesting with it. I prefer to think of this possibility than look at the endless "Just picked up the new__________ here is my first jam!!!!!!!!!" social media posts.

But a lot of new products are just landfill, no doubt about it.

All the hobbyists/amateurs who buy gear are also those who keep the prices relatively low. If only professionals or those who are seriously into making music into a career bought music making gear and software they would be ridiculously expensive due to R&D and production line costs per sold unit.

This is true also with instruments like electric guitars, most of which are sold to people who really can't even play them.

Archived