IGNORED

Good but Underrated/Unseen Supernatural Horror Films

T3551ER

At this point, I feel like I've seen almost every supernatural horror film out there (wife and I love 'em - can't get enough). It's gotten to the point that we've pretty much exhausted every high budget/pop ones (e.g., Conjuring films universe; Happy Death Day; Pet Sematary), Horror Comedies (Slither; Tuck and Dale v Evil, Evil Dead movies, etc.) and are starting to scrape the very bottom of the Amazon Prime horror barrel (I'm talking grad school level of acting, directing and production value horror films). We've seen pretty much every A24 film (even though we tend to hate them) out of a sense of duty and somnambulism. 

So, someone surprise me (or help other folks out who are in a similar boat). Is there some super-amazeballs supernatural horror film out there you just LOVE and think other folks haven't seen yet? 

having a hard time deciding what to recommend seeing that you ask for supernatural but then you mention happy death day and horror comedies so, here's a few and then you can check the rest of the list on the following link... 

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls057970204/?page=1&sort=date_added,desc&st_dt=&mode=detail&genres=Horror&ref_=ttls_ref_gnr

click on the covers below to be redirected...

MV5BMzc5ODcyNTYtMDAwNy00MDhjLWFmOWUtNGVhMV5BMzE2ODI3NTU0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTgwMV5BZTdkOTU5NDYtZjk4NC00NDA0LTlkMDItODY3MV5BMTc1MjQyODcxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU1

MV5BNDZmOWE3M2YtMDNkNC00YzFmLTljZTItNTk3MV5BYTQyMmUwMjgtOTU0Yy00YTJiLWFlZjMtOWM5MV5BYWJjYzBkMGYtMzRhZi00YWM5LWJmYjUtYzFlMV5BMTY2NGUzZmEtMWNkZi00NmI1LWI3NzUtYWQ2

MV5BMjRiYTNjODctNGU1Ni00NDg3LTk0NGUtMWU0MV5BOTRmNGQ5NTAtNGEzYS00Mjk5LThiZDQtOTk4MV5BZGI4OThmNmYtODU5My00MDFhLThhMGQtYWI4MV5BZmIzODA2ZWYtYzM3Yi00YjZlLTg4ZTYtNDM2

MV5BYWMwMmYwMDktMGQ2Zi00YzUwLWEyNzctMmVkMV5BMjcyNzQyMjI0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU2MV5BMTU1MDEwMDg4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk3MV5BYmE5MjMyYjItZTkxOC00YmI5LWJhMzYtOTY3

MV5BMmZjYTYwNzYtNTdhYi00MDQzLTk1NTYtNDlhMV5BYTQwMzEyNGQtOWZlNy00MDFkLWI5MWQtZWM2MV5BMjAwNDA5NzEwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTA1MV5BMjIxMzBlNDgtMTM0Zi00MmEyLWIxMTAtYTFl

MV5BNzZmYWQwNDYtZmI3ZC00MWU4LTgyMGItM2ZjMV5BNjVjNDBkZjQtMTc4Ni00MTQ5LTkyNmYtNDE2MV5BMDM5YzZmZjUtMjkzOS00ODBkLWE1OWUtODdmMV5BMTUyNzIyNzc0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTM5

MV5BZmM1ZmRkMjItZjc3Ny00ZWQzLWFhYmUtMWE0MV5BMjMwOTU3ODY2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA1MV5BMTY1OTI0NjcyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc1MV5BMTYwNDQ2MjEzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQz

I know at one point I watched Beyond the Black Rainbow, I just don't remember what it was about since the pacing was quite slow, like The Void, but with a lot less violence.

What We Do In The Shadows is new, though, isn't it?

Seen nearly all the ones in TIMJ's list, still need to see Resolution. Wouldn't call Hourglass Sanitorium a horror movie either.

In the same boat as Tweeter. I will say one of the newer cheapo horrors I have a soft spot for is As Above So Below. Some nice moments in that one.

At this point, I feel like I've seen almost every supernatural horror film out there (wife and I love 'em - can't get enough). It's gotten to the point that we've pretty much exhausted every high budget/pop ones (e.g., Conjuring films universe; Happy Death Day; Pet Sematary), Horror Comedies (Slither; Tuck and Dale v Evil, Evil Dead movies, etc.) and are starting to scrape the very bottom of the Amazon Prime horror barrel (I'm talking grad school level of acting, directing and production value horror films). We've seen pretty much every A24 film (even though we tend to hate them) out of a sense of duty and somnambulism. 

So, someone surprise me (or help other folks out who are in a similar boat). Is there some super-amazeballs supernatural horror film out there you just LOVE and think other folks haven't seen yet? 

I am in the same boat. We've watched every single supernatural horror movie worth watching, so instead we've watched a bunch of body horror movies from the 80s.

Lots of love for Michael Jackson’s post but they ain’t supernatural mate.

I watch so many horror film but when I see questions like this my mind goes blank, I’ll come back to this but off the top of my head:

Lake Mungo

Shutter

The Borderlands

Pulse

Noroi: The Curse

Will add a couple of British TV classics to the list:

The Woman in Black - 1989

A Warning to the Curious - 1972

The Signalman - 1976

The Entity:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082334/

And then by extension, Peter Tscherkassky's "Outer Space":  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219964/

Cheers will take a look, these look interesting. . .

Seen nearly all the ones in TIMJ's list, still need to see Resolution. Wouldn't call Hourglass Sanitorium a horror movie either.

In the same boat as Tweeter. I will say one of the newer cheapo horrors I have a soft spot for is As Above So Below. Some nice moments in that one.

Yeah, same feelings about As Above. Although I'll probably lower my karma points for saying this, Grave Encounters + Grave Encounters 2 are probably my/our fave found footage horror movies ever (verging on top horror). 

I am in the same boat. We've watched every single supernatural horror movie worth watching, so instead we've watched a bunch of body horror movies from the 80s.

Yeah, we've been on a "lab experiments gone wrong" kick a bit. Although it got a bad rap, thought the Lazarus Effect was a nice lab experiment/supernatural horror pop gem. Tend to cycle through other horror genres in hopes that good supernatural films will replenish themselves in our absence. 

Lots of love for Michael Jackson’s post but they ain’t supernatural mate.

I watch so many horror film but when I see questions like this my mind goes blank, I’ll come back to this but off the top of my head:

Lake Mungo

Shutter

The Borderlands

Pulse

Noroi: The Curse

Ta! some of these have been on the "give it a try" list for a bit. 

Oh, right, cheers to MJ - have seen pretty all of those (many are indeed non-supernatural but still a pretty top list)

Check out Cinemassacre's Monster Madness reviews, then when one intrigues you, watch it. He reviews mostly older stuff from 20s-80s but there are some more recent.

A few favourites that I've seen in the last couple of years.

A Dark Song

Bone Tomahawk

Cold Fish

Hagazussa

Hereditary

Mandy

Piercing

Possum

The Eyes Of My Mother

The House That Jack Built

The Witch

The Ritual

Also As Above and Borderlands are also great recommendations.

Have you watched any giallos before?

It's weird - I've been aware of them for such a long time but never got around to even watching Suspiria (og one I mean - which I know is like some sort of cardinal sin). At the moment, somewhat restricted b/c I can pretty much tell my wife would generally hate them . . . even though I would probably quite like them. . .

EDIT: All this talk of italian films makes me think of this which I first encountered on WATMM like forever ago. . . wasn't this someone's avatar at some point? 

giphy.gif

Archived