IGNORED

Notre-Dame is Burning

dingformung

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone left the kettle on.. the hunchback perhaps... 

They had the builders in, as is often the case

gah.. that's heartbreaking really. i wonder what set it off? 

So we recently had this discussion about how those ancient buildings weren't so ancient anymore. Forgot which thread. And who. But whoever made those remarks, you're suspect!

Either that, or some terrorists were throwing burning paper planes on the roof of the Notre Dame.

grrrrr

:(

It's a tragedy. I wonder how such a valuable piece of cultural heritage can burn down just like that. The damage can't be quantified

Truly, they will rebuild it of course. Buildings this old have a rich history of vandalism and deterioration just as much as they do renovation and preservation. It was heavily looted and stripped during the revolution, half-abandoned when Hugo wrote his novel. Granted nothing like this of course, this is flat out disheartening to witness, but as mentioned earlier, ancient icons are far less permanent and unchanging than we often think of them. 

yeah some of the outside might remain, but it looks pretty toasted on the inside... shame hoped to see it one day myself

not to detract from this unfolding tragedy.. but reminds me of reading about the second Glasgow School of Art fire last year, which was one of few losses of non-animate things that i actually got worked up about.

Notre Dame..  they will surely rebuild it.  Will just take a lot of time and $$$.

Archived