IGNORED

Notre-Dame is Burning

dingformung

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay here we go...they're getting it now:

Notre-Dame has occupied the heart of Paris for the better part of a millennium, its twin medieval towers rising from the small central island wedged between the storied left and right banks.

Now, France is burning.

The fire at Notre-Dame happened on the day that the country’s troubled president, Emmanuel Macron, was supposed to explain how he intended to address the demands of the “Yellow Vest” movement. An anguished, restless nation has struggled to cope with the monthslong uprising and with the frayed social safety net that spurred the protests. Generations that had come to rely on this social safety net, as a matter of national pride and identity, see it going up in smoke.

On Monday, so was the cathedral, which for centuries has enshrined an evolving notion of Frenchness. The symbolism was hard to miss.

I found it quite distasteful that millions have already been pledged to help the rebuild, before confirming there are no fatalities inside and no cause/blame has been identified.

Yeah sure rebuilt it one day.

But as you say, France has more than its fair share of social issues to resolve first...

i don't think it should be rebuilt as it was, as france, and europe, are not the same as they were centuries ago. history doesn't stop, and if noter dome is considered an historic object, in its renewal it should integrate cultural elements from modern muslims of color who are now integral and ever growing population of europe.

I'm excited by all the technology enabling us to reconstruct it exactly as it was down to the centimeter. I understand "exactly as it was" is a fraught, nuanced and unclear idea given the nature of its lifespan and restorations etc but there shouldn't be an "updated" notre dame that "reflects" our time. stupid and trolly thing to say.

lol

I was wondering about this, I wonder how many other historic sites have been scanned to this extent

interesting thread on twitter on why it is particularly difficult to fight a church fire 

very informative, thanks

Abraham Lincoln assassinated April 15th

Titanic sank April 15th

Boston Marathon bombing April 15th

Notre-Dame burned down April 15th

Damn you intergalactic lizards!

Archived