Consul

Flying Lotus - TBA

Looking forward to this. Hopefully he goes in a completely new direction with this one

Posted (edited)

After the last album I'll definitely be waiting for a bunch of sample tracks before ordering.

Proper pond material, that one was.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Yeah, didn't care for You're Dead at all really... Maybe he'll give the overuse of thundercat a rest and go back to making more straight up LA/UTQC hip-hop beats

That would be cool yeah.

Unfortunately he's got enough of a reputation at this point that he can get some pretty big name cameos. I doubt he will give up that "star power" approach. I am sure the next album will be ripe with guest appearances like Kanye West etc. 

:eyeroll:

I thought his collabs with Kendrick and Thom Yorke were all good but I'm not a fan of most of the others. 

What does pond material mean though?

What does pond material mean though?

lol :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

Yea, unless this has proper fleshed out tracks instead of handfuls of 2 minute jobbers with a bunch of guests, I’ll sleep on it. Haven’t been too excited by anything he’s done, really. Seems like it’s all very generic. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by jules

Yea, unless this has proper fleshed out tracks instead of handfuls of 2 minute jobbers with a bunch of guests, I’ll sleep on it. Haven’t been too excited by anything he’s done, really. Seems like it’s all very generic.

I liked Cosmogramma well enough but yeah, haven’t been jazzed about his stuff since then.

Yea, unless this has proper fleshed out tracks instead of handfuls of 2 minute jobbers with a bunch of guests, I’ll sleep on it. Haven’t been too excited by anything he’s done, really. Seems like it’s all very generic.

I liked Cosmogramma well enough but yeah, haven’t been jazzed about his stuff since then.

I did love Cosmo when it came out but it got boring quickly. Everything since then has been just as tired as the worn out Cosmo IMO

Posted (edited)

I actually think cosmo was a sweet spot in terms of using thundercat and some cameos + straight up flylo tracks (nose thing, astral plane, recoiled etc). I also found some tracks to be a bit more on the experimental side compared to his other albums. 

I do play that album more than his other ones tbh, so I'm not sure why I said Los Angeles is my fav. 

I would be alright with a cosmo2. 

But Jules like you I hope tracks are fleshed out, not just 2 min things with various rappers. yawn

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I promised myself to never fork out for another FlyLo album again after the instant regret of You're Dead.

LA, Cosmo & UTQC is all I need from him really. Very much a turn-of-the-decade early 20s artist for me, that is where he belongs. I was absolutely nuts about Cosmo on release, but UTQC has proven to get the most consistent plays over the years, more durable rotation given it is a little more everyday life-friendly. 3 very decent and different albums, I don't need anything more from FlyLo. Thanks for the memories.

The problem with UTQC and You're Dead is that they both loose steam pretty quick, whereas Cosmogramma is awesome from A to Z.

The 1st half of You're Dead up until Coronus is extremely solid and might be my favorite work of his!

Posted (edited)

I am also in the LA /Cosmo camp, great music from that era.

Pattern & Grid World was alright but I've not listened to it in a long while....

Hope his sound has evolved.

Bonus:

Edited by fletcher

Pattern & Grid World was alright but I've not listened to it in a long while....

Hope his sound has evolved.

Haha that's fun, I told myself the exact same thing and gave it a listen two days ago. Some weaker tracks but Kill Your Coworkers and Physics For Everyone are still BANGING

I'm cautious... Flying Lotus is another one of used-to-be-my-favorite artists who made a pinnacle album and then fell (like Clark with his magnificent "Totems Flare" and then lost his touch ... well many on WATMM share this sentiment with me :( ). Flying Lotus also made stellar "Los Angeles" and "Cosmogramma" and then became boring. I think the main problem is in his lack of riffs. "Until The Quiet Comes" and "You're Dead!" both had unimaginative riffs (unlike previous albums which were packed with strong melodies), so FlyLo builds his tracks around jazzy chords and limpy drums and of course tracks quickly fizzle out because they don't have enough gravity. When he was still hip-hop minded he NEEDED to make a strong theme for his beats because they were loop based and how the hell can you drive a 3-minute loop without a riff? I think many artists need to realize that there was a point in them making simpler songs with more banging drums and melodies - that that wasn't just their amateur phase but indeed a more focused and effective phase. Many of these artists never really come full circle back to their bangers or when they do they make them consciously and with too much of an effort.

Posted (edited)

Flamagra, which comes via the LA artist's usual home Warp Records, spans 27 tracks and features a host of collaborators, including Anderson Paak, George Clinton, Little Dragon, Tierra Whack, Denzel Curry, Shabazz Palaces, Thundercat, Toro Y Moi, Solange and David Lynch. Steven Ellison's follow-up to 2014's You're Dead, " encompasses hip-hop, funk, soul, jazz, global dance music, tribal polyrhythms, IDM and the LA Beat scene," reads the press release.

"I'd been working on stuff for the past five years, but it was always all over the place. I'd always had this thematic idea in mind—a lingering concept about fire, an eternal flame sitting on a hill," Ellison says. "Some people love it, some people hate it. Some people would go on dates there and some people would burn love letters in the fire. Then I went to this party and heard David Lynch saying the words that he wound up saying on the record. And I was like, 'That's it, we're just going to go in that direction."

While a half-decade has passed since Flying Lotus's last album, he's kept busy, collaborating with Kendrick Lamar, directing and writing a horror film called Kuso, producing much of Thundercat's RA-recommended Drunk and running his Brainfeeder label, which celebrated its tenth anniversary last fall.

flying-lotus-flamagra.jpg

Thanks Resident Advisor...

Tracklist

01. Heroes

02. Post Requisite

03. Heroes In A Half Shell

04. More feat. Anderson Paak

05. Capillaries

06. Burning Down The House feat. George Clinton

07. Spontaneous feat. Little Dragon

08. Takashi

09. Pilgrim Side Eye

10. All Spies

11. Yellow Belly feat. Tierra Whack

12. Black Balloons Reprise feat. Denzel Curry

13. Fire Is Coming feat. David Lynch

14. Inside Your Home

15. Actually Virtual feat. Shabazz Palaces

16. Andromeda

17. Remind U

18. Say Something

19. Debbie Is Depressed

20. Find Your Own Way Home

21. The Climb feat. Thundercat

22. Pygmy

23. 9 Carrots feat. Toro Y Moi

24. FF4

25. Land Of Honey feat. Solange

26. Thank U Malcolm

27. Hot Oct.

Warp Records will release Flamagra on May 24th, 2019.

27 tracks, which gives us a bunch of 2-3 minutes tunes again assuming its just 1 CD :cerious:

Edited by fletcher

I remember him talking about a double album project some time ago, hopefully it's this one. Looking forward to having more details about the album!!!

Artwork might be the worst of his entire discog tho

[Why can't I embed YT links?]

i'm sorry you do not possess The Touch.

TRACK LENGTHS.

1 Heroes 2:44 Flying Lotus

2 Post Requisite 2:08 Flying Lotus

3 Heroes In A Half Shell 1:17 Flying Lotus

4 More (feat. Anderson .Paak) 4:17 Flying Lotus

5 Capillaries 1:54 Flying Lotus

6 Burning Down The House (feat. George Clinton) 3:03 Flying Lotus

7 Spontaneous (feat. Little Dragon) 2:08 Flying Lotus

8 Takashi 5:51 Flying Lotus

9 Pilgrim Side Eye 1:30 Flying Lotus

10 All Spies 1:45 Flying Lotus

11 Yellow Belly (feat. Tierra Whack) 3:11 Flying Lotus

12 Black Balloons Reprise (feat. Denzel Curry) 2:41 Flying Lotus

13 Fire Is Coming (feat. David Lynch) 3:16 Flying Lotus

14 Inside Your Home 1:26 Flying Lotus

15 Actually Virtual (feat. Shabazz Palaces) 1:58 Flying Lotus

16 Andromeda 1:28 Flying Lotus

17 Remind U 2:41 Flying Lotus

18 Say Something 1:15 Flying Lotus

19 Debbie Is Depressed 2:19 Flying Lotus

20 Find Your Own Way Home 1:40 Flying Lotus

21 The Climb (feat. Thundercat) 3:15 Flying Lotus

22 Pygmy 1:24 Flying Lotus

23 9 Carrots (feat. Toro y Moi) 3:01 Flying Lotus

24 FF4 1:11 Flying Lotus

25 Land Of Honey (feat. Solange) 3:27 Flying Lotus

26 Thank U Malcolm 1:32 Flying Lotus

27 Hot Oct. 4:35 Flying Lotus

its as we feared expected

Jesus, I've totally missed this somehow

Yeah, didn't care for You're Dead at all really... Maybe he'll give the overuse of thundercat a rest and go back to making more straight up LA/UTQC hip-hop beats

I liked that one because it was cohesive, fun, and flowed quickly. Until the Quiet Comes was a bit slow and overwrought

Yea, unless this has proper fleshed out tracks instead of handfuls of 2 minute jobbers with a bunch of guests, I’ll sleep on it. Haven’t been too excited by anything he’s done, really. Seems like it’s all very generic. ‍♂

He's kind of in that same category as Tycho, Com Truise, [insert very distinct but same-y artist here] where they are progressing on their own terms but in smaller and smaller boxes style wise. That coupled with more and more overthinking production wise. It's objectively good and worthwhile music but TBH just not as appealing as say, someone just freely sampling stuff and banging out beats on a MPC. 

I love Flying Lotus but I just haven't had the urge to revist his post-Cosmogramma albums much at all. I rather just throw on Ras G, Odd Nosdom, or stuff like that.

its as we feared expected

at least David Lynch is in there I guess lol 

I remember him talking about a double album project some time ago, hopefully it's this one. Looking forward to having more details about the album!!!

Artwork might be the worst of his entire discog tho

Vinyl-Records-Michael-Jackson-Vynil-Mich