Consul

Flying Lotus - TBA

Saw the image of wolf Lynch on Warp's instagram page and immediately thought my dream release of either a Cunningham/AFX/Lynch or BOC/Lynch was real, bit low-key disappointed that it's FlyLo. Gonna check it out though, some of his things are really special, there's just loads I don't care about too much

I'm cautious... Flying Lotus is another one of used-to-be-my-favorite artists who made a pinnacle album and then fell (like Clark with his magnificent "Totems Flare" and then lost his touch ... well many on WATMM share this sentiment with me :( ). Flying Lotus also made stellar "Los Angeles" and "Cosmogramma" and then became boring. I think the main problem is in his lack of riffs. "Until The Quiet Comes" and "You're Dead!" both had unimaginative riffs (unlike previous albums which were packed with strong melodies), so FlyLo builds his tracks around jazzy chords and limpy drums and of course tracks quickly fizzle out because they don't have enough gravity. When he was still hip-hop minded he NEEDED to make a strong theme for his beats because they were loop based and how the hell can you drive a 3-minute loop without a riff? I think many artists need to realize that there was a point in them making simpler songs with more banging drums and melodies - that that wasn't just their amateur phase but indeed a more focused and effective phase. Many of these artists never really come full circle back to their bangers or when they do they make them consciously and with too much of an effort.

Agree about the riffs/melodies lacking on the last 2 albums. 

I liked both UTQC and You're dead when they were released, yet I've hardly listened to them since then. The one album of his I come back to the most is Los Angeles, which is weird because I thought it was kind of boring when I first heard it.

Posted (edited)

I liked both UTQC and You're dead when they were released, yet I've hardly listened to them since then. The one album of his I come back to the most is Los Angeles, which is weird because I thought it was kind of boring when I first heard it.

Los Angeles has aged really well. So have his old EPs: 1983, Reset, and Pattern+Grid

Edited by joshuatx

flylo is exclusively LA hype shit now. has been for a while. the film was so incredibly embarrassing.

Sad but true, I was expecting a great come back album after 5 years...

he should do himself a favor and leave LA, shack up in the woods and just try and make music.

Posted (edited)

I don’t think he can, he needs all the guest spots and random jazz noodling to sound complex. I think young people eat it up because they think they are listening to complex jazz but actually never have

Edited by jules

lol 

Posted (edited)

Fly Lo is fucking awful imo

I was at this show, and I'd of given it zero, trust me 2.5 is beyond generous. It was so bad I've never listened to him since. 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/10044

Edited by beerwolf

I don’t think he can, he needs all the guest spots and random jazz noodling to sound complex. I think young people eat it up because they think they are listening to complex jazz but actually never have

bingo. G-G-G-G-G-G-GOT HIS ASS

Fly Lo is fucking awful imo

I was at this show, and I'd of given it zero, trust me 2.5 is beyond generous. It was so bad I've never listened to him since. 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/10044

yeah, the last time i saw him he played dubstep bangers, and wore some angel wings and posed in front of his computer like god. never really listened to him since.

eh

I saw fly lo at bloc weekend in 2010, thought it was good. Although that may have been the drugs.

Autechre and Luke Vibert were on after!

Posted (edited)

Revisited You're Dead yesterday. Still find it incredibly lame compared to his previous 3 albums. That was such a fall from grace for me, I don't understand what people see in it.

I saw him live in Canberra during the 2010/11 summer, it was okay. Back then, was just cool to have a hype international artist come out to that neck of the woods, typically you have to trek over to Sydney (which I did do that summer with Sufjan & Warpaint).

Edited by Roo

Posted (edited)

I lucked out both times I saw him, they were perfectly fine sets with good visuals

that said my friend saw him play Austin years ago and he was so high that he got in an argument with some heckler and stopped the show so he could look up Gentle Giant songs on youtube to educate everyone on how good they are

perhaps that more than anything explains why this is correct:

bingo. G-G-G-G-G-G-GOT HIS ASS

and yeah, he should go offline and/or out of LA

a lot of artists should TBH - too much Abilene paradox shit going on between the musicians, fans, music press, etc.

Edited by joshuatx

flylo is still a G for having david firth on his GTA radio tho

Nothing wrong with short tracks

Well it depends.......... I always thought of his albums as just a bunch of not properly fleshed out sketches, and his arrangement game is almost nonexistent. 

Posted (edited)

Man, that artwork and title is terrible. Dislike that new clip with Lynch too (I adore Lynch). :|

A lot of Flylo stuff hasn’t dated too well imo.

I’ve revisited UTQC recently, which I loved when it came out, and found it quite boring as an album, but like certain parts of it still.

Your Dead got annoying real quick, wish I hadn’t jizzed money on the box set during prerelease hype.

Cosmo is still good but have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

LA is great and I like Pattern Grid World a lot but 1983 gets the most plays by me.

Saw him play in 2008 and met him. He was a really nice guy, his set kinda blew my head off. Starting off with 1983/LA style stuff and ending with breakcore.

This will probably be the first release of his I don’t instabuy (it should've been You’re Dead).

Edited by Moebius

More optimistic about Madonna's upcoming Madame X. Says it all really.

really love that the consensus is he sucks. proud of everyone here.

really love that the consensus is he sucks. proud of everyone here.

In these hard times, WATMM finally comes together, undivided, united, strong.

The consensus seems to be indifference with a few people sniffing their own farts for hating him

I think he'd be good live. But I hold him at arms length in the same way I hold OPN...I actually listened to Age Of again last night, what the fuck is that shit?I haven't written it off as bad, i just don't see a way of it clicking with me.

The consensus seems to be indifference with a few people sniffing their own farts for hating him

well sir! lol

I don't hate him at all, several really good records. Just the recent albums seem to be really meh.

listened to Cosmogramma on acid when i was ~20 and it was pretty fun :^)

the short tracks don't matter too much when you're tripping and 30 seconds can last forever.

not sure if this validates the 'young people eat it up because they think they are listening to complex jazz but actually never have' comment or not lol.

tbh bit, that was my first time listening to cosmo was on acid lol. ffs did I just validate that comment?

ugh