Consul

Flying Lotus - TBA

epic fail

tbh bit, that was my first time listening to cosmo was on acid lol. ffs did I just validate that comment?

ugh

+1 for Cosmogramma on acid, especially the music video for Zodiac Shit

But I do agree with you Bulk, his last two albums were not good but had some great tracks. I definitely don't like his jazzy, Thundercat bass heavy tracks as much, so I'm hoping this album is a lot different

I'm still going to give it a chance for sure! :beer:

Cosmogramma is the tits. He's had a few good moments since, but yeah

Posted (edited)

really love that the consensus is he sucks. proud of everyone here.

this is prob the first time watmm has collectively agreed on something.

which means we're probably wrong and he's great

Edited by QQQ

doesn’t suck. over hyped though, which creates suckage.

I think Flying Lotus tries a little too hard to be weird and "out there" these days. I'll listen to the new album when it's out but I'm not keeping my expectations high. He should step away from the DMT, chill out a bit on trying to be a jazz-fusion artist just because he's Coltrane's nephew, and just go back to making more stripped down hip-hop inspired beats, rather than this overly-busy thundercat filled jazzwank. His less jazzy stuff is his better stuff imo. 

This. Although I do like Cosmogramma and it was relatively mind-blowing when it came out, depending on my mood it was "overly-busy thundercat filled jazzwank." 1983 and LA are definitely my favorite material. UTQC was fine, refreshingly chill but also not that moving. And to be honest I don't really remember what You're Dead! sounds like at the moment, though I know I've listened to it plenty. Or maybe just a handful of times? That could be the case. Need to revisit those last two.

I'm in agreement the cover at sucks and looks like Michael Jackson's Dangerous. The "teaser" video/track isn't enough for me to go on, I'll just approach with caution and certainly not be pre-ordering anything. Cosmogramma was the last one I bought physically anyway. I hope I'll enjoy it and assume I'll find something of value, but yeah he's a previous favorite artist that is no longer.

Still better then 99% of all those dudes on rephlex

Oh, Ivan you troll you.

Posted (edited)

I think Flying Lotus tries a little too hard to be weird and "out there" these days. I'll listen to the new album when it's out but I'm not keeping my expectations high. He should step away from the DMT, chill out a bit on trying to be a jazz-fusion artist just because he's Coltrane's nephew, and just go back to making more stripped down hip-hop inspired beats, rather than this overly-busy thundercat filled jazzwank. His less jazzy stuff is his better stuff imo. 

This. Although I do like Cosmogramma and it was relatively mind-blowing when it came out, depending on my mood it was "overly-busy thundercat filled jazzwank." 1983 and LA are definitely my favorite material. UTQC was fine, refreshingly chill but also not that moving. And to be honest I don't really remember what You're Dead! sounds like at the moment, though I know I've listened to it plenty. Or maybe just a handful of times? That could be the case. Need to revisit those last two.

I'm in agreement the cover at sucks and looks like Michael Jackson's Dangerous. The "teaser" video/track isn't enough for me to go on, I'll just approach with caution and certainly not be pre-ordering anything. Cosmogramma was the last one I bought physically anyway. I hope I'll enjoy it and assume I'll find something of value, but yeah he's a previous favorite artist that is no longer.

Honestly, Firth's animations is cheesy as fuck, thats what turns me off from the videos.

Edited by logakght

its ok to be wrong

Methinks thine haterade doth protest too much my liege, no?

*opens Actress new release thread, searches furiously for misplaced duck blind*

Cosmogramma is the tits. He's had a few good moments since, but yeah

QFT

doesn’t suck. over hyped though, which creates suckage.

QFT2

Solid takes, maybe in the minority here but I've really come around to Thundercat, Drunk was f'n great imho. So now I'm digging Thundercat and come back to the Flylo and Kamasi Washington albums and appreciate his presence all the more.  Truth be what it do the partnership peaked early w/ Cosmokramer and has kinda stagnated since, the following 2 were decent yet forgettable.  Lately it seems he strives too far into overly ambitious when all that's needed is just a good busting thru drywall.

I want some nice FlyLo beats pls m8. I'm really not into his newer approach of having features on his albums either. Just give me 10 tracks of pure instrus Mr. Coltrane.

Posted (edited)

relistened to UTQC and it's pretty damn good. few pointless tracks* here and there but overall very good (* wtf is Sultan's Request...)

You're Dead is a lot more just.. instantly annoying. hard to maintain interest past the onslaught of bass noodlings and highly compressed 'audacity wall of sound' everything all at once production thrown at you over and over again.

Edited by bitchroast

i love the onslaught but the loudness is indeed unbearably bad

Yeah no problem with thundercat, he’s all good, actually I would love a complete free jazz album from the man and his team.

I quite like the look of the pop-up gatefold vinyl edition

HomePageModule-36350-80363.jpg

Totally reminds me of this

friendly reminder that You’re Dead also has very good artwork and packaging

Spontaneous has a kind of UTQC vibes imo. But Takashi is the real surprise, love that groove. More focused than his recent output without being too simple, me likey :music:

Yeah no problem with thundercat, he’s all good, actually I would love a complete free jazz album from the man and his team.

Yeah same here. I feel like his collabs with Flylo are more improv noodling than fleshed out compositions.

friendly reminder that You’re Dead also has very good artwork and packaging

Fair point but this reminds me how much aesthetics and conceptual fluff overpower a lot of otherwise unremarkable music - not that album in particular but I feel like Gorillaz has done this since their debut. Avalanches milked their novelty and notoriety of sampling successfully for their subsequently good but overrated album. 

Posted (edited)

we have Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and the cutout moustaches in the sleeve to thank for this.

Edited by bitchroast

Tracks "Spontaneous" and "Takashi" are listenable.

https://flying-lotus.warp.net/release/129090-flying-lotus-flamagra

Spontaneous is ok. Sounds like something I could hear at any time on my Spotify daily mix though. Nothing remarkable.

Takashi is a bit better.

You can definitely hear the Dorian Concept and Dimlite influence in Takashi.

The semi-minimal drums with the jazz/funk stabs.

Can really hear the Dimlite at times with the chord progressions and offbeat-style.

Not a bad thing.  Those are two of my favorite artists.