Yeah it's not great but not bad either.

Posted (edited)

lol all this hype for this...

edit: come on warp now that we are done with this, can we get some info about warp 30 ?

Edited by d-a-m-o

For real tho it sounds a lot better in my opinion than UTQC which was really boring. Flamagra starts very well, it's indeed much more "light-headed" than his previous releases. It's just a bit too long for my tastes and tracks loose their individuality after a while but it's a good release.

Also on Spotify there are little animated clips for every song of the album popping while you're streaming the track, cool bonus artwork.

Ha i like it a lot. Best one since cosmogramme

Remind U is so pretty 

Land of honey sounds it's handpicked off UTQC

Impossible not to feel like doing a split listening to Takashi

Overrated by some, overHATED by others, FlyLo does indeed make music. Stay tuned for more at 11.

I think it's not bad, I like throwing on albums like this. 

I totally forgot about UTQC woah. I just think about You're Dead and Cosmogramma. Though I do like a few of the tracks off UTQC.

First impression is kinda lukewarm. Not bad, but not great. I'll keep trying. 

First listen... got the impression it goes nowhere really.

My second listen was more enjoyable. Still just on a decent-sounding bluetooth speaker, not headphones or hi-fi, but it was more pleasant and didn't feel as much like a compilation.

Posted (edited)

here's my first impression track by track.

Heroes - one of those intros that serves as a preview, like some kind of musical medly or something, which is cool but I prefer THX -esque openings that really set the stage for something exciting

Post Requisite - promising track, lot of momentum and return to his old charm in his beat heavy days

Heroes In A Half Shell - this title > actual track, pointless lovely forgetable interlude track

More - first fully-formed and engaging track so far, the best of the singles I heard previously

Capillaries - absolutely pointless inclusion, at least the last interlude filler track was shorter and more dynamic this sounds like an unfinished half-baked sketch

Burning Down The House - hot mess but a fun one, not sure where it was going but it kept my attention

Spontaneous - perfectly MOR, Little Dragon always enhances a track but I've heard her so often that the track itself needs to stand out and it doesn't. could of easily been released 10 years ago and been just as innocuous.

Takashi - this one is def a grower, shame it's kind of out of place so far, would of been more effective if the tracks proceeding it were more cohesive and/or built up to this track faster and more effectively. in other words this suffers from an iffy context even if it's a great track

Pilgrim Side Eye - ok, here's a good interlude track and the first song so far I actually want to repeat, a return to his weird brilliance

All Spies - another nice, upbeat, and inquisitive track

Yellow Belly - hell yes, really getting into a groove now, digging this one a lot, perhaps my favorite track so far

Black Balloons Reprise - heard this earlier, solid but not much more to say about it

Fire Is Coming - can't not like this one, I'm a huge Lynch fan. very akin to the good old days of 90s to early 00s Ninja Tune and Mo'Wax releases that coupled leftfield instrumental hip-hop with spoken word: Coldcut, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, etc. halfway point in the album, hopefully this stays as good, the first part was haphazard

Inside Your Home - another decent but seemingly pointless interlude track

Actually Virtual - very good, getting Cosmogramma flashbacks

Andromeda - this one has a lightness and flow to it that we didn't get with earlier tracks, one of the best so far Remind U - another solid track

Say Something - good but a bit out of place, has the vibe of a soundtrack piece - a vignette feel that seems hollow on an album like this

Debbie Is Depressed - another good "narrative" track but again it suffers not on it's own merits but because it seems shoehorned in

Find Your Own Way Home - lovely interlude, feels like a come down from a climax that never happened

The Climb - lot of cool ideas in this track, some 70s soul vibes but not a knock out track - not as much pointless noodling Thundercat is known for but it's still a fairly stagnant track

Pygmy - this is again another frustrating interlude that sounds like a window in an incredible song or album - in this case trippy space-y 50s/60s bachelor pad exotica and then it just ends...

9 Carrots - ...into what sounds like an outtake from Toro y Moi's last album

FF4 - another nice funky beat track with hypnotic backing melody and atmosphere that's literally way, way too fucking short

Land Of Honey - one of the best, in fact this is probably the only full-formed song on here in terms of arrangement and the most thought out - shame it's literally the 3rd to last track and took an hour to get here. this is the kind of music I know Flying Lotus is capable of yet seems to accomplish less and less. perpetual lauding of this mediocre work is not going to help him hone in on brilliant moments like this, I wish someone could get it in his ear that he should be pickier about his own stuff or least release only what's truly worthwhile instead of fleshing out a double album withpretty filler.

Thank U Malcolm - nice little coda to the last track

Hot Oct. - digging the first part, pitched shifted vocals seem needless though. this outro could easily been 2-3 minutes shorter - it's a conclusion with the epic scope of an album we didn't actually hear

This could of succeeded if cut down by a 1/3 or even a 1/2 shorter, as his previous LPs clocked in below 47 minutes. I love Steven Ellison's growth as a musician and his passion for the sounds, timbres, and concepts that speak to him but I must admit he's less and less engaging in translating those ideas and feelings into music that had the same novelty and punch as his earlier classics. He's kind of swimming around in the same superficial tropes and aesthetics instead of either honing in on something really unique or truly trying something risky and experimental.

Edited by joshuatxuk

Haven't listened to the album yet, but wish he made more stuff like this:

Posted (edited)

Takashi is fantastic.

Man, he sure burns through tracks fast.  How am I already on track 8?  Anyway, I'm thoroughly entertained so far.  (first listen)  Of all the electronic artists I listen to, Flylo always sounds like he's having the most fun.  Well, maybe after Ceephax.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova