IGNORED

Plaid - Polymer

fumi

128327.jpg

Warp lifers Plaid return with their 10th LP. Polymer is a baker’s dozen of tunes that finds the duo of Ed Handley and Andy Turner showing off all of their tricks. Crafted under the manifesto ‘Polyphony, Pollution and Politics’, Polymer manages to synthesise this trio of concerns into a set of stirring electronic compositions.

Unsurprisingly for a record so heavily concerned with the current socio-political climate, there are times when Polymer can be an intense listen. Quite a few of these tunes feature the sort of wheezy, pensive synth play that crops up in the work of Oneohtrix Point Never. The fact that this is frequently wed to choppy breakbeat techno rhythms (think Clark) only heightens the air of dystopian unease that skulks in the background of the LP.

However, the ‘Polyphony’ that the group lean on here also spawns some gorgeous moments. An entry like ‘Maru’ chains propulsive beats together with some sparkling harmonies in a manner that recalls Modeselektor or Apparat. It is a clouds-parting moment, one where the worries that plague Polymer lift and the listener is swept away by the simple beauty of Plaid’s music. Handley and Turner repeat the magic several times across the track list, and these computer ballads bring Polymer close to the sort of records Mark Pritchard has been crafting of late.

As they have done time and again throughout their career, Plaid draw a human warmth from their machines on Polymer.

last two were great, reachy prints probably their best album. no reason to believe this won't be good. also big lol at references 0pn... bitch plaid have been around since 91. flip that narrative around

big lol at references 0pn... bitch plaid have been around since 91. flip that narrative around

^ This, times million! Even worse, apparat and modselektor! :facepalmism

Not feeling these two new tunes. Recall sounds like an experimental piece of noodling that should have never made it out of the demo sessions.

Still pretty hopeful the album will be very good.

Edited by fumi

Not feeling these two new tunes. Recall sounds like an experimental piece of noodling that should have never made it out of the demo sessions.

Still pretty hopeful the album will be very good.

Have to agree, particularly with regard to Recall. I'm hoping, however, this is once again just Warp doing their usual thing of only previewing what in their opinion are the most "edgy" tracks first (much like Ghostly International always pick the most tedious ones) and that the actual album will be much better than this initial impression.

Also: go here and fiddle with the odd interactive for a free download of Maru.

Edited by Jamesqdot

This is great news! I’m diggin Maru but recall isn’t doing a lot for me, doesn’t sound much like Plaid. I’m not usually a big “hope it’ll sound better in the context of the album!” guy, but....hoping it sounds better in the context of the album.

They are one of my favorite all time groups and have built up a huge amount of goodwill with me so I will be picking this up and enjoying the hell out of it.

Well...lifelong Plaid fan here, and I will chime in to say that I echo the sentiments about the last two albums being some of their best -- especially Reachy Prints, which I feel is criminally underrated.  

Released tracks here clearly sound like part of a greater narrative to me (and sound great to my ears).  Maru is definitely the most "Plaid-like" i.e. closer to traditional but I love the album potential that Recall alludes to.  Very alien sounding track.  Really hyped to hear how they all fit together here.

Well...lifelong Plaid fan here, and I will chime in to say that I echo the sentiments about the last two albums being some of their best -- especially Reachy Prints, which I feel is criminally underrated.

Released tracks here clearly sound like part of a greater narrative to me (and sound great to my ears). Maru is definitely the most "Plaid-like" i.e. closer to traditional but I love the album potential that Recall alludes to. Very alien sounding track. Really hyped to hear how they all fit together here.

I said reachy prints was their best album.. in this thread hoss

Reachy Prints is up there for me for sure. Maybe my favourite. Actually looking back through their discography it's very difficult for me to choose a favorite. Scintilli has some amazing moments, as does Spokes... Double Figure is classic Plaid at this point IMO.

With most artists I have a clear favourite but tbh having a hard time picking a fav Plaid album? weird

Can't bloody wait. Started listening to The Digging Remedy again a lot earlier this month, couple of tracks on there are up there with their best..then started thinking 'wait a minute, its been ages since this came out, surely something new is due soon'...and then todays announcement told me it was written in the stars. Digging Remedy reappraisal was a doozy and this is the cherry on top. Sad tosee their tour ain't coming anywhere near me though..they need to spread their wings a little and head further north like they used to.

Released tracks here clearly sound like part of a greater narrative to me (and sound great to my ears). Maru is definitely the most "Plaid-like" i.e. closer to traditional but I love the album potential that Recall alludes to. Very alien sounding track. Really hyped to hear how they all fit together here.

I said reachy prints was their best album.. in this thread hoss

And I echo your sentiments!

maru sounds good. recall sounds not so great..

i'm surprised they made 2 tracks available to listen. i imagine i'd be more hyped if it was just maru being released.

keen to listen anyhow :-)

big lol at references 0pn... bitch plaid have been around since 91. flip that narrative around

Yeah, pretty shocked at the name-dropping of much younger producers, lol. I only took a quick sample of the tracks on shitty speakers yesterday, but hope that's not a sign Plaid's sound is becoming too influenced by the mentioned artists. 

Yeah, pretty shocked at the name-dropping of much younger producers, lol. I only took a quick sample of the tracks on shitty speakers yesterday, but hope that's not a sign Plaid's sound is becoming too influenced by the mentioned artists. 

I'm not hearing much/any 0pn or Modeselektor here.

Maru struck me as a not particularly great for them so still pretty good tune.

Recall: a bit, uhm, in Plaid-like. Let’s leave it at that.

Not that it matters anyways because I’m gonna buy this no matter what.

I kinda agree with the general response to Recall. But I'm curious to hear it in the context of the full album. I might change my mind about it. Maybe it makes more sense between the other tracks.

And it brings associations of an Untilted-era Ae-Plaid collab. Although I currently appreciate LCC way more than Recall, to name an example. But again, i think the track needs more context.

I'm not hearing much/any 0pn or Modeselektor here.

whoever wrote the marketing blurb f-off  :fail: 

I'm really liking the art for this one.

:wub: