IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

4 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I think that has more to do with it only being 2 characters... most search engines don't handle that well as it would return potentially millions of results for words like to, we, etc.

OK, that's kinda what I figured. It's a bit unfortunate now that there are titles like F7 and X4 etc but I worked around it by adding other search terms and selecting "all of my search terms". Might be useful for others to know so I kept the post up. Cheers 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

You could make it mandatory to replace the picture - or whatever it is that you are deleting - with a descriptive name which then replaces it

Er, no - that's not how this (or any forum/site) works - the real issue (and I've complained to the forum software developers about this) is what is uploaded into posts as pasted in content is counted against a user (if there are limits imposed) and whatever upload limit(s) there are by the forum administrator.

I understand from a development standpoint why they did this, but it creates the problem outlined here - if a user deletes uploaded content used in a post, it is replaced with a broken image. In some cases, that can totally ruin a potentially valuable thread (e.g., pictures of a rare release).

I'm planning on moving the forum's storage to Wasabi (think Amazon S3 but far, far cheaper) but haven't had the time to do so, and server backend stuff is not my strong point, so I generally have to get help with some of these things.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

OK, that's kinda what I figured. It's a bit unfortunate now that there are titles like F7 and X4 etc but I worked around it by adding other search terms and selecting "all of my search terms". Might be useful for others to know so I kept the post up. Cheers 

Another workaround (though it means jumping 'outside' of the website) is to do the search term in google and appending the site: command. e.g.

f7  site:forum.watmm.com

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Joyrex said:

In some cases, that can totally ruin a potentially valuable thread (e.g., pictures of a rare release).

i understand but at the same time it's not right to prohibit users to delete their own uploads, imagine if that guy didn't want to show the pics of the rare release anymore? he simply doesn't want to, i think it's his own right to decide what to do with his own content...

Edited by Tim_J

4 hours ago, Tim_J said:

i understand but at the same time it's not right to prohibit users to delete their own uploads, imagine if that guy didn't want to show the pics of the rare release anymore? he simply doesn't want to, i think it's his own right to decide what to do with his own content...

That's a valid point... it gets into a gray area of "is the content you post on a public forum still your content or not?" I do think if the thread or post is deleted, the associated content goes too...

On 1/26/2021 at 8:46 PM, Joyrex said:

That's a valid point... it gets into a gray area of "is the content you post on a public forum still your content or not?" I do think if the thread or post is deleted, the associated content goes too...

the time we keep following a thread is set to what now? it used to auto unfollow after some time of inactivity in said thread...

23 hours ago, Tim_J said:

the time we keep following a thread is set to what now? it used to auto unfollow after some time of inactivity in said thread...

I don't see a setting for unfollowing after a period of time... are you finding content being unsubscribed automatically?

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I don't see a setting for unfollowing after a period of time... are you finding content being unsubscribed automatically?

you told me in the past that there was a limit cause it would make the forum too heavy to load or something like that... but now nothing is auto-unsubscribing... that's good... thanks...

something's wrong with my chatmm on chrome desktop... i've chatted with 2 members in total... dingforung and mixl2... first of all i can't delete this chats... and it doesn't display all my chats... it keeps displaying mixl2 there and the rest of my conversatins with other members doesn't show up... if i want to resume a conversation with a memebr i need to go to his profile and press the chatmm button... whatevr i'll post pics...

ClipboarderTemp-11382f.png

@Joyrex

something's wrong with my chatmm on chrome desktop... i've chatted with 2 members in total... dingforung and mixl2... first of all i can't delete this chats... and it doesn't display all my chats... it keeps displaying mixl2 there and the rest of my conversatins with other members doesn't show up... if i want to resume a conversation with a memebr i need to go to his profile and press the chatmm button... whatevr i'll post pics...

ClipboarderTemp-11382f.png

Edited by Tim_J