IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

4 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I have introduced ads for Members (non-subscribing) and guests to offset the hosting costs since subscription revenue is down (and continuing to do so). You can remove the ads by getting a Supporting Member subscription at 3.00 USD per year - that's not much to ask, is it?

Except I"ve been a 15 USD per year subscribing member for ten years now. 

• Like 1

re the problem of ads and money and site upkeep: I think the old meter on the frontpage showing site costs and current levels of contribution should be brought back. if it's not in sight then it'll be out of mind for most users. if it is in sight then more users will be reminded to donate every now and then and it may well avert the current situation where ads are necessary to keep the site going. also it provides a level of transparency for costs/contributions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psn said:

Except I"ve been a 15 USD per year subscribing member for ten years now. 

Except that right now, you're not - your subscription lapsed...

12 hours ago, usagi said:

re the problem of ads and money and site upkeep: I think the old meter on the frontpage showing site costs and current levels of contribution should be brought back. if it's not in sight then it'll be out of mind for most users. if it is in sight then more users will be reminded to donate every now and then and it may well avert the current situation where ads are necessary to keep the site going. also it provides a level of transparency for costs/contributions.

Agreed - It was removed because the add-on went paid and other issues, but that could be factored into the upkeep costs. I'll look into it!

I'll add too though if the costs were met each month and it was the same group of people paying, we'd have the problem (which now that I think about it was another reason I removed the meter), then it's not fair where a small group of people are paying for everyone else. I'd ideally have it where everyone pays (which is how it is now, except there isn't any real penalty for letting your subscription lapse - that may change) so it's fair to everyone. The ads will hopefully do that for the guests who visit the site and if they don't want or can't join, then at least the ad revenue will offset that somewhat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Except that right now, you're not - your subscription lapsed...

I have a receipt here from April 2021. I'll send you an email.

surprised the anti-capitalism contingent hasn't weighed in here yet on all of this... there would be no ads if everything was open sourced free cummunism web 5.0

2 hours ago, cern said:

The ads are weird as fuk!

The last add was about  Indonesian thermoplastic polyurethane for the car handle.

?

That wasn't an ad... new Autechre album named :dadjoke:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, auxien said:

hey Joypops any news on the borked Twitter embeds? i think most or all of us were seeing that across browsers

I believe it's. only Safari/Webkit browsers... are you seeing this in Chrome or Edge?

https://twitter.com/ghostly/status/1481807425715986439?s=20

Hmmm... not working. Lemme see...

1 hour ago, cern said:

Member or guest? You are seeing ads (and how to rid yourself of them)

What? What does that even mean? FAIL! 

?

lol

lol

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, cern said:

"consider supporting us by purchasing an annual subscription for as low as 3.00 USD per year."

I dont see any lower option than 5 usd in the row tho? ?

If I donate 3 usd/year would it increase my message attach size?? which is 8 KB lol 

lol is this fo realz?! Yo can’t be that cheap!

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, cern said:

"consider supporting us by purchasing an annual subscription for as low as 3.00 USD per year."

I dont see any lower option than 5 usd in the row tho? ?

If I donate 3 usd/year would it increase my message attach size?? which is 8 KB lol 

Screenshot?