IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

17 hours ago, Tim_J said:

wait? what button? this is what i see in my editor...

Untitled.png

Weird, maybe it's a permissions thing - On mine it's to the left of teh B icon (super ancient reference only partially intended):

image.png

But yeah @Joyrex it's not saved as a default editor view, you have to click it every time you want to post using the 'non-formatted-post' mode. The new editor in the recent builds of ipb is definitely much improved though, in the previous version we had I would have real trouble dealing with nested multi-quotes and trying to remove the unnecessary posts in that quote!

I'd prefer the names of the posters in the quote boxes to be first rather than after the time they said whatever it was. If not that then a slightly different shade for the username. Makes it more difficult to see who said what a glance as it is now.

Edited by hello spiral
  • Like 1

^Aye

Also I get the invalid url error when trying to post with an @ username tag, but it looks like JR and mcbpete can do it, so it may be a permissions thing.

Edited by ManjuShri

Switching the Recent Topics sidebar to show 'who posted and how long ago' instead of 'who created the topic and how long ago' would be better.

Also it's somewhat sluggish in updating compared to the old one, dunno if that's fixable or not.

3vukbv.png

3 minutes ago, ManjuShri said:

Switching the Recent Topics sidebar to show 'who posted and how long ago' instead of 'who created the topic and how long ago' would be better.

Also it's somewhat sluggish in updating compared to the old one, dunno if that's fixable or not.

3vukbv.png

So have it show the last person posting in the thread? Let me see if I can alter that or there is an addon that accomplishes that.

You're also going to have to tell everyone how you managed a dark theme as we currently don't offer one (yet) :dadjoke:

1 minute ago, Joyrex said:

So have it show the last person posting in the thread? Let me see if I can alter that or there is an addon that accomplishes that.

You're also going to have to tell everyone how you managed a dark theme as we currently don't offer one (yet) :dadjoke:

Aye, that's it.

I'm using Dark Reader browser addon, it's pretty deece.

57 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

also please change Eugene to eugene. Users, no matter their "subscription level", have the right to have their name the way it was before a forum update. Ridiculous to propose otherwise.

Is it fair that only some of the members pay to support the forum while others (and sadly some who have been here more than a decade) have never paid? I think it's a fair tradeoff for users who want the flexibility to change their name (and save me the administrative headache of having to do it) to support the forum they obviously gain benefit from.

I don't want to turn this into a paid/free discussion, so if you want to discuss it further, PM me please.

1 hour ago, ManjuShri said:

joy srsly bruv this is crampin my style m8 you gotta do smthn about it bro im srs here pls :cattears:

untitled9sj91.png

Christ, man - it's currently set set to 50 per day for Members!

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

lots of weird graphics issues. quoted posts metadata needs to be dark gray not black. I'm talking about the header that says "11 hours ago, dr lopez said" No reason for it to be given as marginally smaller, same type and same color as a normal post. In fact I think it's even bolded which is insane. it's obviously secondary information and needs to be treated as such visually. poor design that wasn't in the older GUI.

also why isn't there a space between Gender: Male, Location: New York like there should be.

Right now it reads as 
Interests:having poopy pants.

Please add a space there.

Also quoting posts seems to be very hard to do. Often it won't let me quote you joyrex. don't know why. 

I'll get some more graphical gripes off my chest later.

I hastily put this WATMM Classic theme together; let me see about refining those issues. Good catch on the space between items - let me see why that is like that.

When you say 'quoting posts' do you mean via the multiquote button or the quote button, or the @mentions? I'm still trying to find the proper setting so everyone can do that.

14 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

have never paid

i did though, back in 2010 when you were begging people to crowdfund the whooping 50$ server costs that you could not afford for some reason.

Edited by Eugene

If he had it lowercase before I don't see why he'd have to pay for that. I know how annoying that can be, I enjoy muh spinborn lowercase.. that being said all this free work being put into WATMM is worth a fiver at least, will def upgrade once I'm done oogling my coins for food at home :flower:

2 minutes ago, Eugene said:

i did though, back in 2010 when you were begging people to crowdfound the whooping 50$ server costs that you could not afford for some reason.

See, I take issue with this attitude - I paid for Joyrex/WATMM out of my own pocket for years before somebody suggested I take donations (at one point I was paying nearly 100/month because we were growing so fast no normal hosting company could provide the resources we needed), and I did donations for years before in August 2013 requiring all new or returning members to purchase at least a 3.00 PER YEAR subscription to help offset the costs.

Whether I could afford it or not wasn't the issue - why am I going to put the time, resources, and money into something others enjoy and I shoulder all the costs? Would you?

Surely you can afford that "for some reason", right?

1 minute ago, chronical said:

If he had it lowercase before I don't see why he'd have to pay for that. I know how annoying that can be, I enjoy muh spinborn lowercase.. that being said all this free work being put into WATMM is worth a fiver at least, will def upgrade once I'm done oogling my coins for food at home :flower:

I'm really not expecting him to pay just to change his name, but to get him to support the site he obviously enjoys and uses.

• Thanks 3

Whether I could afford it or not wasn't the issue - why am I going to put the time, resources, and money into something others enjoy and I shoulder all the costs? Would you?

lol that's such an american capitalist dad attitude. it's your site and your own hobby, so why not expect from yourself to pay for your own hobby? other people are not just using it, they are enriching it as well, without other users posting here the site is worthless. so maybe it kinda evens it out at the end? you pay a little bit with money and other users are paying with the time and content they put here, when combined what we get is watmm. seems like a good deal to me for like 50$ a month or whatever you pay for it now.

i also don't need any of the features offered by "member plus" package, so maybe i could pay some fraction of 5$? by my calculations the ability to change own display name should cost about 63 cents per year (before taxes), so if you're cool with that, i can start my yearly subscription any minute now.

3 hours ago, Joyrex said:

The "recent topics" addon I installed seemed to be the culprit. Going to ask for a refund on that one!

Definately uBlock Origin (and really, no need to run it here (whitelist us) since WATMM doesn't display advertising.

Yeah, it was the Recent Topics addon. I've disabled it.

See above. All is well now!

I whitelisted watmm but then I get ads in yt vids when I watch them in thread. Anyway, switched to ublock now. Thanks everybody.

• Like 1

First of all thanks for the update !

The only thing bothering me is that the header block (with the WATMM logo, profile icons and stuff) does not come down when I scroll down the page. It was extremely handy to have that logo on top of the screen at any time because it was extremely easy to go back to the forum index that way. Don't know if that's something you can fix or if it's just a design choice !

Cheers anyway !

• Like 1

Dear god no, leave that header up top

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim_J said:

thanks a bunch for addressing it, hopefully you'll get it fixed...

Looking into this more, it might not be possible as that exposes the HTML source (not BBCode like the old editor did) - obviously not something we'd entrust with just anyone (for their own safety and ours). That being said there are lots of addons for the editor that might restore that functionality I'll have to look into further.

1 hour ago, eugene said:

lol that's such an american capitalist dad attitude. it's your site and your own hobby, so why not expect from yourself to pay for your own hobby? other people are not just using it, they are enriching it as well, without other users posting here the site is worthless. so maybe it kinda evens it out at the end? you pay a little bit with money and other users are paying with the time and content they put here, when combined what we get is watmm. seems like a good deal to me for like 50$ a month or whatever you pay for it now.

i also don't need any of the features offered by "member plus" package, so maybe i could pay some fraction of 5$? by my calculations the ability to change own display name should cost about 63 cents per year (before taxes), so if you're cool with that, i can start my yearly subscription any minute now.

LOL @ "american capitalist dad attitude" - you're suggesting this is some grand money-making venture? We get enough in donations and subscriptions to cover the monthly hosting costs, and the costs of the very software you are using now (for free).

Yes, this site is my hobby, but it also takes a lot of time, effort and for many, many, years a lot of my own money to keep it going. Yes, users do contribute content that make the site worth visiting (our community's longevity is a testament to that), but do you think the Reddits and Facebooks of the world are "free"? No, they're showing you advertising (which you are likely blocking) and targeted marketing in exchange for a "free" service. You're well aware of that fact; I shouldn't have to make the comparison.

I am quite sure if there were ads plastered all over WATMM you'd be complaining similarly about how I'm selling us all out to corporate overlords, etc. - I think you're just disagreeing to do so and your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Also, I am not charging you for being able to change your name (as you can clearly see) - my point in asking for a subscription in exchange for the ability to do so was to convince you to pay for a service you have used without charge since 2005 in the hopes that you'd give back a bit of what WATMM has given you, which is hopefully a positive thing.

• Like 4

Okay, after speaking to the addon developer I've re-enabled the dynamic "Recent Topics" addon on the forum index... I'm watching it to see if it is going to behave itself now or will crater WATMM again like it did yesterday and today... please post any slowness or odd behavior you notice.

1 minute ago, ManjuShri said:

Forum slows down when switched to Tomorrow's harvest theme in comparison to default.

That might be due to the Recent Topics widget... the TH theme shouldn't put that much overhead on the page load...