IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

9 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Second, the mods aren't "trigger happy" - we react when there's something to react to, not just for the sake of doing so. And if we do take action on something, it's typically for a good reason (or there is more to it than what you may see or know from your side of things). Granted, we're not perfect, but we try our best.

Just to avoid any confusion which would lead me to become hated by every mod, I was only saying that it just seemed out like that, since I've found this hiding somewhat incremental when compared to older times. That's all. It hasn't had so much to do with anything which have violated my undeniable rights to bury innocent bystander under my bullshit spree, but more like.....having no actual point behind it. That's just something what I thought was little quirky. BFF's? :cattears:

• Like 1

About the "trigger happy" hiding/deleting of threads: I'm not a fan of hiding threads. Although there might be good reasons for doing so, often I find myself wondering whether it was really necessary. And worse, I get a sense it's often a passive aggressive response of sorts. In the sense that often it was obvious shit was festering in a thread and for a while nothing happens. Mods don't do anything. Things get worse. And finally, when some invisible line is crossed, a mod jumps in, and closes/hides the thread. Without any kind of warning. And I don't mean warning points. 

Instead of being "trigger happy" in closing/hiding threads, I'd prefer it if mods give a warning shot first in those threads before they decide to take "affirmative action". And early on.

Seems to me there's often plenty of time to prematurely give some kind of warning. As the toxicity tends to build up over a couple of days. In my experience, at least. 

So, mods, please drop a warning shot.

Another idea: hide those threads temporarily. For a month, or so. After a month, people have cooled down and completely forgotten. A couple of those threads should have been findable, imo. A waste to keep them from public. Especially if it's about releases.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

We're doing the best we can dagnamit! We are only humans.

giphy.gif

Caption: @Squee, @Joyrex, and @MadameChaos color image, 2019.

6 hours ago, goDel said:

About the "trigger happy" hiding/deleting of threads: I'm not a fan of hiding threads. Although there might be good reasons for doing so, often I find myself wondering whether it was really necessary. And worse, I get a sense it's often a passive aggressive response of sorts. In the sense that often it was obvious shit was festering in a thread and for a while nothing happens. Mods don't do anything. Things get worse. And finally, when some invisible line is crossed, a mod jumps in, and closes/hides the thread. Without any kind of warning. And I don't mean warning points. 

Instead of being "trigger happy" in closing/hiding threads, I'd prefer it if mods give a warning shot first in those threads before they decide to take "affirmative action". And early on.

Seems to me there's often plenty of time to prematurely give some kind of warning. As the toxicity tends to build up over a couple of days. In my experience, at least. 

So, mods, please drop a warning shot.

Another idea: hide those threads temporarily. For a month, or so. After a month, people have cooled down and completely forgotten. A couple of those threads should have been findable, imo. A waste to keep them from public. Especially if it's about releases.

This. I really appreciate the positive and helpful feedback - we will most certainly attempt to "hey guys, this is getting out of hand - let's cool off" or something to that effect in threads before shutting them down.

However, please note that sometimes it's best to kill things quickly before they escalate out of control, so we may not have an opportunity to do so in every situation.

9 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

ban joyrex

38025y.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Anyone else having issues pasting images?

Well only in that now I have quoted you, I cannot see a quick link button that allows me to paste an image into this thread.

Sometimes simply pasting the URL does not return an image

We are all but humans, apart from some

latest?cb=20180727050118

most discussion websites have a spam/garbage/containment section, I'm not saying I hope the levels of garbage increase and that it needs its own thread, rather that if it's in one place then people who don't want to read it just don't have to go in there

it seems more effective to say "take your garbage to the containment thread" than to destroy entire threads over some garbage mixed in, or delete individual posts

its like drugs, if you make them illegal then it just gets driven underground in practice, or in the context of a forum, mixed in with everything else.  but if spam is well-defined and is agreed to go in one place, the rest of the board's health increases

Edited by Zeffolia
  • Like 1

Guys, this forum is called General Banter for a reason. This *is* the containment section. Not a single thread, but an entire space for banter. Or garbage, if you will. 

I don't know if anyone else has said this already but the inability to edit a post in plaintext is problematic. for those posting image dumps in the memes thread or a couple of videos in a music thread and not being able to move the auto-embedded images or videos easily and quickly around the text sometimes leads to just giving up the post entirely. which might actually be a "feature" now that I think about it.

22 minutes ago, usagi said:

I don't know if anyone else has said this already but the inability to edit a post in plaintext is problematic. for those posting image dumps in the memes thread or a couple of videos in a music thread and not being able to move the auto-embedded images or videos easily and quickly around the text sometimes leads to just giving up the post entirely. which might actually be a "feature" now that I think about it.

nah..wont happen..

• Thanks 1

the "we updated our policy" page keeps reloading endlessly and i can't scroll down the click "i agree".  i had to stop it from loading then when i clicked "I agree" i go the "Something went wrong- contact us" but then was able to get into the forum as usual. 

on whatever latest version of safari is on high sierra. 

• Like 3

Smae here. Tried opera and firefox on el capitan. Was gonna post a screenshot of the error but I got distracted by the dank memes thread.

I liked it. the "Forum Rules" were right there at the top of the page and slapped you in the face ceaselessly as the page kept reloading. essential.

flol that was fun alright, somehow managed to circumvent by holding down the left click on stop loading (in Firefox), which allowed you to actually scroll down to where you had to do it to 'em

Wish I could share this protip w/ brethren having the same problem but oh well rite