Joyrex

New Forum Discussion/Issues

I personally like the extra emoticons we have now

👩‍🚀💃

15 hours ago, yekker said:

I personally like the extra emoticons we have now

👩‍🚀💃

They're essentially the emoji you get on your phone, but yes, nice.

I find it little stupid that nowadays threads just disappear all of sudden. Just this week first the Monolith tape thread and now the Beatwife in new releases are gone like fart in the wind. imo, if it isn't full of some obscene offending shit, locking would be enough. Not so much talking particularly about the threads I mentioned above but just in general. There still may come some discussion or posts one likes to revisit etc. Just feels kinda odd if I can't be sure if the whole thread even exists anymore when I log back. Maybe some limiting about who can delete threads to mods and admins and with a good reason or something

Of course your forum, just my plug.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Uros said:

I find it little stupid that nowadays threads just disappear all of sudden. Just this week first the Monolith tape thread and now the Beatwife in new releases are gone like fart in the wind. imo, if it isn't full of some obscene offending shit, locking would be enough. Not so much talking particularly about the threads I mentioned above but just in general. There still may come some discussion or posts one likes to revisit etc. Just feels kinda odd if I can't be sure if the whole thread even exists anymore when I log back. Maybe some limiting about who can delete threads to mods and admins and with a good reason or something

Of course your forum, just my plug.

Well yes, unless there are obvious offensive posts in the threads then it seems bizarre that the entire thread is deleted.

Perhaps just delete the bad posts, reprimand the offenders and keep the thread active? Especially music discussion threads about scene stalwarts Beatwife and Monolith which I guess is the actual point of this forum.

Edit: unless of course Beatwife / Monolith requested that the thread was deleted, but that seems unlikely.

Edited by Soloman Tump

People are well within their rights to ask for a thread to be deleted IMO. 

They're in their right to *ask* yes. Whether or not the whole thread should be nuked is another thing entirely. We had to destory the village in order to save it mentality.

What like if it was infected by the plague you mean? No you'd just have to destroy it dude.

fwiw, I was mainly pointing the deleting trend since it seemed like a new policy to the forum in consequence of the new forum launch. I don't remember that our old watmm had any thread deleting anywhere even though there has been way more questionable stuff in the past. Now it looks like mods are trigger happy with their new delete button or something. And in cases when there really isn't any point behind using that. So was only wondering if this is now the new routine for lame ass threads and deleting will be commonly used method and we just have to swallow it. I still think very strongly it would be pretty lame. :cerious:

• Like 3

The correct term is hidden, and in most cases it's dupes and crap people ask us to remove.

Sometimes hiding a thread from public view is better than locking it as locking typically generates more (sometimes misplaced) outrage over it.

Users who have EKT or EKT Plus subscriptions can also delete their own threads and posts, but we encourage that ability not be abused.

I strongly encourage anyone who has a concern about actions myself or the moderation team take to PM us - you can PM me personally, or include the mod(s) involved, and we can hash it out that way.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

The correct term is hidden

Oh I see and stand corrected. From a regular user's point of view, the difference is, indeed, colossal. :dry:

• Haha 1

Anyone else having issues pasting images?

8 hours ago, Uros said:

fwiw, I was mainly pointing the deleting trend since it seemed like a new policy to the forum in consequence of the new forum launch. I don't remember that our old watmm had any thread deleting anywhere even though there has been way more questionable stuff in the past. Now it looks like mods are trigger happy with their new delete button or something. And in cases when there really isn't any point behind using that. So was only wondering if this is now the new routine for lame ass threads and deleting will be commonly used method and we just have to swallow it. I still think very strongly it would be pretty lame. :cerious:

Agreed. If a thread is locked the mod can give an explanation why it was locked and at least we would know what's going on.

I’d like to file a complaint. Within minutes of the incredulous censure of the Dank Memes thread, I received a visit from a pair of gentlemen from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Mods abusing their privileges to send Mormons to my home is a complete breach of privacy. My thoughts and prayers are with all the helpless victims of today’s WATMM

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, yekker said:
8 hours ago, Uros said:

Agreed. If a thread is locked the mod can give an explanation why it was locked and at least we would know what's going on.

First, there's no new delete button - we've had the ability to hide/lock/delete posts/threads prior to the forum upgrade.

Second, the mods aren't "trigger happy" - we react when there's something to react to, not just for the sake of doing so. And if we do take action on something, it's typically for a good reason (or there is more to it than what you may see or know from your side of things). Granted, we're not perfect, but we try our best.

In my experience, the forum goes through periods where there's an increase in questionable threads and posts, people losing their shit over minor things, etc. - I dunno - retrograde planets, pull of the moon - who knows. We've tried (and I think for the most part been successful in) keeping WATMM from turning into a Shitposting Palace™ or worse by moderating where needed.

Also keep in mind the Mods are volunteers - they do this because they want to keep the forums a place where we can have a laugh, enjoy music, and make this as much as possible a place people want to come to, preferably away from other toxic environments online.

We'll try doing a better job of being more transparent about actions, and you can always PM me/and or any of the Mods if you have a question or concern.

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

First, there's no new delete button - we've had the ability to hide/lock/delete posts/threads prior to the forum upgrade.

Second, the mods aren't "trigger happy" - we react when there's something to react to, not just for the sake of doing so. And if we do take action on something, it's typically for a good reason (or there is more to it than what you may see or know from your side of things). Granted, we're not perfect, but we try our best.

In my experience, the forum goes through periods where there's an increase in questionable threads and posts, people losing their shit over minor things, etc. - I dunno - retrograde planets, pull of the moon - who knows. We've tried (and I think for the most part been successful in) keeping WATMM from turning into a Shitposting Palace™ or worse by moderating where needed.

Also keep in mind the Mods are volunteers - they do this because they want to keep the forums a place where we can have a laugh, enjoy music, and make this as much as possible a place people want to come to, preferably away from other toxic environments online.

We'll try doing a better job of being more transparent about actions, and you can always PM me/and or any of the Mods if you have a question or concern.

This is great and all but please stop sending Mormons to my house. My dog has eaten his fill already and burning flesh sends the wrong signals to the neighbors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We're doing the best we can dagnamit! We are only humans.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Just to avoid any confusion which would lead me to become hated by every mod, I was only saying that it just seemed out like that, since I've found this hiding somewhat incremental when compared to older times. That's all. It hasn't had so much to do with anything which have violated my undeniable rights to bury innocent bystander under my bullshit spree, but more like.....having no actual point behind it. That's just something what I thought was little quirky. BFF's? :cattears:

• Like 1

About the "trigger happy" hiding/deleting of threads: I'm not a fan of hiding threads. Although there might be good reasons for doing so, often I find myself wondering whether it was really necessary. And worse, I get a sense it's often a passive aggressive response of sorts. In the sense that often it was obvious shit was festering in a thread and for a while nothing happens. Mods don't do anything. Things get worse. And finally, when some invisible line is crossed, a mod jumps in, and closes/hides the thread. Without any kind of warning. And I don't mean warning points. 

Instead of being "trigger happy" in closing/hiding threads, I'd prefer it if mods give a warning shot first in those threads before they decide to take "affirmative action". And early on.

Seems to me there's often plenty of time to prematurely give some kind of warning. As the toxicity tends to build up over a couple of days. In my experience, at least. 

So, mods, please drop a warning shot.

Another idea: hide those threads temporarily. For a month, or so. After a month, people have cooled down and completely forgotten. A couple of those threads should have been findable, imo. A waste to keep them from public. Especially if it's about releases.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MadameChaos said:

We're doing the best we can dagnamit! We are only humans.

giphy.gif

Caption: @Squee, @Joyrex, and @MadameChaos color image, 2019.

6 hours ago, goDel said:

About the "trigger happy" hiding/deleting of threads: I'm not a fan of hiding threads. Although there might be good reasons for doing so, often I find myself wondering whether it was really necessary. And worse, I get a sense it's often a passive aggressive response of sorts. In the sense that often it was obvious shit was festering in a thread and for a while nothing happens. Mods don't do anything. Things get worse. And finally, when some invisible line is crossed, a mod jumps in, and closes/hides the thread. Without any kind of warning. And I don't mean warning points. 

Instead of being "trigger happy" in closing/hiding threads, I'd prefer it if mods give a warning shot first in those threads before they decide to take "affirmative action". And early on.

Seems to me there's often plenty of time to prematurely give some kind of warning. As the toxicity tends to build up over a couple of days. In my experience, at least. 

So, mods, please drop a warning shot.

Another idea: hide those threads temporarily. For a month, or so. After a month, people have cooled down and completely forgotten. A couple of those threads should have been findable, imo. A waste to keep them from public. Especially if it's about releases.

This. I really appreciate the positive and helpful feedback - we will most certainly attempt to "hey guys, this is getting out of hand - let's cool off" or something to that effect in threads before shutting them down.

However, please note that sometimes it's best to kill things quickly before they escalate out of control, so we may not have an opportunity to do so in every situation.

9 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

ban joyrex

38025y.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Anyone else having issues pasting images?

Well only in that now I have quoted you, I cannot see a quick link button that allows me to paste an image into this thread.

Sometimes simply pasting the URL does not return an image

We are all but humans, apart from some

latest?cb=20180727050118

Posted (edited)

most discussion websites have a spam/garbage/containment section, I'm not saying I hope the levels of garbage increase and that it needs its own thread, rather that if it's in one place then people who don't want to read it just don't have to go in there

it seems more effective to say "take your garbage to the containment thread" than to destroy entire threads over some garbage mixed in, or delete individual posts

its like drugs, if you make them illegal then it just gets driven underground in practice, or in the context of a forum, mixed in with everything else.  but if spam is well-defined and is agreed to go in one place, the rest of the board's health increases

Edited by Zeffolia
  • Like 1

Guys, this forum is called General Banter for a reason. This *is* the containment section. Not a single thread, but an entire space for banter. Or garbage, if you will. 

3 hours ago, goDel said:

Or garbage, if you will. 

DYehEuY.jpg

• Haha 1