IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

4 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

yeah it works with firefox, guess that's chrome fault... i've cleared all data, do you think a fresh installation might do any difference?

Wouldn't hurt to try - just make sure you back up your bookmarks, etc. if you're not syncing them with your Google account, etc.

How do I manage and delete some of my attachments?  I am starting to run into the limit.  Looks like I have never done it since there are some on there from 2007.

I searched through the settings menus and the "My Attachments" page, but I don't see any way to delete old attachements.

7 hours ago, randomsummer said:

How do I manage and delete some of my attachments?  I am starting to run into the limit.  Looks like I have never done it since there are some on there from 2007.

I searched through the settings menus and the "My Attachments" page, but I don't see any way to delete old attachements.

Hmm. I can't either, so it makes me think there is a setting controlling this - I'll look into it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:26 AM, randomsummer said:

Thanks.

So here's the thing with deleting attachments:

It is a setting, and if enabled, would mean any content uploaded by the user (including pasted images, which get uploaded) would be deleted, but then would show as a broken link in whatever posts the content existed.

Members were only allowed 20 MB of uploads - I have increased that to 100 MB, so that should ease the pain a bit. I don't think enabling the ability to delete content would be a good idea (of course you can still edit a post within the time limit and delete something if you need to; this just pertains to deleting content from your My Attachments page).

Makes sense, thanks.

Quick question, is there a way to enable  deletion of attachments that are X years old and older?  A lot of my attachments are from previous iterations of the board where the posts that contain them don't even exist anymore.

Thanks again for taking the time to look into this.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure anyone noticed, but the forum was down for a couple of hours. I missed a lot of quality content.

Just now, Gocab said:

I'm not sure anyone noticed, but the forum was down for a couple of hours. I missed a lot of quality content.

it was down more than a couple hours for me. i'm sure i missed some opportunities to post memes. 

I'm not 100% sure if this is new (but I'm pretty sure it is).... but when you go to https://forum.watmm.com/ on mobile (using safari mobile view on an iphone), the first two pages are pinned topics from various threads BEFORE you get to see any of the "Recently Updated" content. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there used to be recently updated content on top, just like when you view on a desktop browser. Could this potentially have changed during the recent WATMM blackout?

lol, I did this too way back. You're being a dummy and hitting the wrong place. Unread post feed is in the top bar newspaper next to the plus, you're reading the three dots&lines thing that brings up all the posts from all the forums, which is preceded by endless pages of pinned posts. Regular view is the three lines. The view you're in as broken as shit though, unless you love pinned posts.

I think it's been like that since the new forum rolled out.

Edited by Gocab
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gocab said:

lol, I did this too way back. You're being a dummy and hitting the wrong place.

Ah. My bad. I’ve actually never touched those things before, so I had no idea it was on me....

but... “dummy”?

spacer.png

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

So in desktop mode when using the search function inside a specific topic you have the option to search this topic, but on mobile such option doesn't exist... 

Yeah, because the mobile search takes you to the search page, whereas the search box within a topic (on desktop) allows you to choose that option. Those kind of floaty dropdown menus don't work well on mobile.

If you are using mobile Chrome, you can tap the dots in the lower right corner and choose "Find in page"

13 hours ago, auxien said:

so is the forum just gonna crash regularly from here on out, or is something going on?

Yeah, @Joyrex : could you tell us what is going on? Just so, you know, we can sympathize with you and stuff?

On 6/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, auxien said:

so is the forum just gonna crash regularly from here on out, or is something going on?

Sorry... finally got things sorted out thanks to @Centurix and @chaosmachine - needed to bring in folks who understand stuff far better than I when it comes to server stuff.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:39 AM, rhmilo said:

Yeah, @Joyrex : could you tell us what is going on? Just so, you know, we can sympathize with you and stuff?

Long story short - corrupted database table, database connection limits being hit, and 50 GB of log files that needed cleaning out. You know, normal stuff :dadjoke:

We should be good from here on out.

Also, I removed the off-topic discussion - read the rules, etc. and PM me if you have any issues.

Thanks for keeping the ship running! I'm familiar with the bowels of app infrastructure, server, network, database and all that so I feel your pain. Been dragged kicking and screaming into the cloud/Kubernetes world in the past year and the more things change the more they stay the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Long story short - corrupted database table, database connection limits being hit, and 50 GB of log files that needed cleaning out. You know, normal stuff :dadjoke:

We should be good from here on out.

Thanks for the update! And, yeah, thanks for keeping the ship running.

50GB of log files for a discussion board ... wow.

I think I've asked this before but is there a way to hide a specific topic in a forum that you don't care to see?

Example: In the Aphex Twin forum I have no interest in seeing the "sauce inquiry" topic so I keep just marking forum as read when I finish reading the other topics. It's annoying though because apparently there are other people in there who really enjoy that, eh... topic... of discussion.

Would be nice to just click a button on that topic and it's gone as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hijexx said:

I think I've asked this before but is there a way to hide a specific topic in a forum that you don't care to see?

Example: In the Aphex Twin forum I have no interest in seeing the "sauce inquiry" topic so I keep just marking forum as read when I finish reading the other topics. It's annoying though because apparently there are other people in there who really enjoy that, eh... topic... of discussion.

Would be nice to just click a button on that topic and it's gone as far as I can tell.

Kind of like snooze/unfollow/hide functions on the book of faces. This would be great.