Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
T3551ER

The Big Ol' Renoise Thread

Recommended Posts

I have a question for a collaboration:

Me and my friend are going to collaborate soon, but she is using Ableton and I'm in Renoise. How do we do this? I want her to see all the drum patterns rather than the export of that channel. How do I do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three things I can think of:

1. You'd have to have both programs and then use something like ReWire to use one to control parts of the other, or vice versa. This is the sanest option.

2. You could also export everything out as midi and wav data separately when you transfer one to the other, but that is both time consuming and prone to many errors. I don't recommend doing this option, but its the most straight forward one.

3. Both of you could use ableton and then pick up Redux, which is the vst plugin version of Renoise. This is the most expensive option.

 

Whatever the case, you can't save a renoise file as an ableton file, and can't save albeton as a renoise file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

Three things I can think of:

1. You'd have to have both programs and then use something like ReWire to use one to control parts of the other, or vice versa. This is the sanest option.

2. You could also export everything out as midi and wav data separately when you transfer one to the other, but that is both time consuming and prone to many errors. I don't recommend doing this option, but its the most straight forward one.

3. Both of you could use ableton and then pick up Redux, which is the vst plugin version of Renoise. This is the most expensive option.

 

Whatever the case, you can't save a renoise file as an ableton file, and can't save albeton as a renoise file.

Think entorwellian covered it.

If you go for #2 might check out the tool here: https://www.renoise.com/tools/midi-convert

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone used Redux much?

I used to enjoy writing percussive parts in Renoise but pretty much stopped because Rewire is a slight faff.

Can you write long complex parts in Redux and use all the same pattern commands + fx?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know of a single person who has used Redux, let alone purchased it. Anything that was exclusive to Redux can be found in Renoise, Renoise is an entire studio vs. just a VST instrument, and only a $10 difference between the two.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Redux…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I have just realized that compared to other DAWs, Renoise is really quiet for me. What can I do to fix this? Master volume is 100 in all DAWs but Renoise is quiet regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Consul said:

Also, I have just realized that compared to other DAWs, Renoise is really quiet for me. What can I do to fix this? Master volume is 100 in all DAWs but Renoise is quiet regardless.

Ooops, never mind. I apparently tried to do some mixing etc. on an older track of mine, the breaks were more louder than they originally are, so I thought there was something with Renoise. Well... problem solved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tossing up between buying Renoise or getting a yearly sub to Max 8.. I love the workflow in Renoise. Does anybody use it with a laptop (w/o numpad)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MadellisTheSixth said:

Does anybody use it with a laptop (w/o numpad)?

Yup, my desktop keyboard is 10 keyless as well and it doesn't slow me at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Brian Dance said:

Anyone used Redux much?

I used to enjoy writing percussive parts in Renoise but pretty much stopped because Rewire is a slight faff.

Can you write long complex parts in Redux and use all the same pattern commands + fx?

Yes, w/ caveats. IIRC, Redux is basically the "phrase" element of Renoise - i.e., you write patterns like you would in renoise (w/ effects, etc.) up to a certain length, and then those patterns are triggered by your midi keyboard/what have you and play through. Believe there is a demo version you can try . . . I've had mixed luck w/ Rewire and Renoise myself. . .personally, only thing I really wish Renoise did better was handling the recording/management of long samples (otherwise I would never really step outside the environment). 

51 minutes ago, MadellisTheSixth said:

tossing up between buying Renoise or getting a yearly sub to Max 8.. I love the workflow in Renoise. Does anybody use it with a laptop (w/o numpad)?

Yep (tho tbh the lack of numpad usage may be b/c I never trained myself to use the relevant shortcuts). . . still, feel like Renoise is sort of built to be able to be used on the go: minimum CPU footprint, built around keyboard shortcuts, etc. . . 

1 hour ago, Consul said:

Ooops, never mind. I apparently tried to do some mixing etc. on an older track of mine, the breaks were more louder than they originally are, so I thought there was something with Renoise. Well... problem solved!

^o^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Consul said:

Also, I have just realized that compared to other DAWs, Renoise is really quiet for me. What can I do to fix this? Master volume is 100 in all DAWs but Renoise is quiet regardless.

dunno compared to other daws, but you can set the track headroom in the Song options (top of the gui Song tab / Song options). I think default is minus 6 dB, set it to 0 for moar juice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, Brian Dance said:

Can you write long complex parts in Redux and use all the same pattern commands + fx?

There's no sequencer in redux which lets you string together phrases into some kind of redux song, the idea is that you use redux inside your daw of choice and use the daws sequencer to arrange the phrases/patterns from redux. It is great fun creating a bunch of different phrases dividing them over the keyboard using the keyzones tab. So for example you can have a set of midi keys dedicated to basslines, another set to breaks, some for vocals etcetera, and live record these using your playing chops into some kind of arrangement. Or perhaps not live play, but through lego block tinkering in a painoroll/step sequencer of choice.

There are great tools out there that facilitate making phrases out of existing Renoise song projects, saved instruments from Renoise can be loaded into redux; https://www.renoise.com/tools/phrasemate

I've used phrasemate a lot when creating the Djeroek library packs that can be used in Renoise & Redux; https://files.renoise.com/forum/downloads/Libraries/

The same pattern commands, native dsp apply in Redux as in Renoise, it is basically Renoise's instrument editor section made available for other daws.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MadellisTheSixth said:

tossing up between buying Renoise or getting a yearly sub to Max 8.. I love the workflow in Renoise. Does anybody use it with a laptop (w/o numpad)?

Get Renoise unless you see yourself spending a lot of time reading and programming. I also use it with a laptop(no numpad) and it owns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Entorwellian said:

I don't know of a single person who has used Redux, let alone purchased it.

I bought it but I've never even tried it. I thought I'd use it for my next prog album, so I bought it and a Kontakt drumkit at around the same time, but ended up getting way too much into live stuff using hardware to even think about making any more prog. One of these days..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

how2deletecomment

Edited by MadellisTheSixth
help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Yep (tho tbh the lack of numpad usage may be b/c I never trained myself to use the relevant shortcuts). . . still, feel like Renoise is sort of built to be able to be used on the go: minimum CPU footprint, built around keyboard shortcuts, etc. . . 

18 hours ago, GetSquirrely said:

Yup, my desktop keyboard is 10 keyless as well and it doesn't slow me at all.

6 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

Get Renoise unless you see yourself spending a lot of time reading and programming. I also use it with a laptop(no numpad) and it owns.

looks like I'll be copping Renoise. I'm already pretty comfortable in Max having read the Cipriani book but at the end of the day I can just use it inside Ableton or PD for nada.

I wish I had the patience/knowhow to build huge ass patches like this: 

 

 

 

Edited by MadellisTheSixth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That is a really messy patch, but not super complicated. His dac~ is in the middle of everything, ffs. There are unlabelled subpatchers there too so I have no idea what is going on even being literate in Max. He obfuscated it like that by choice to make himself look like he knows more than he does.

Edited by Entorwellian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nvrmnd

Edited by plugexpert
Didnt read

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Entorwellian said:

That is a really messy patch, but not super complicated. His dac~ is in the middle of everything, ffs. There are unlabelled subpatchers there too so I have no idea what is going on even being literate in Max. He obfuscated it like that by choice to make himself look like he knows more than he does.

yeah he does it on purpose, a lot of his other stuff have them arranged into artworks though:) just in regards to sequencing I'm pretty clueless. been wanting to make some kind of patch that can just read midi from a text file or something but haven't investigated further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coll object is your friend :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies @T3551ER & @plugexpert (just realised I was listening to your tunes on the Renoise forum 11 years ago), I'm going to give the demo a whirl but seeing as I already have Renoise should probably stop being such a basic bitch and get Rewire back into the old workflow.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about how Phrase Editor works.

After creating a phrase, I can easily put it inside the pattern editor (let's call this Phrase A). But when I create a second phrase (Phrase B) and put Phrase B into the pattern editor, it plays Phrase A twice. When I select Phrase A, it plays Phrase A twice. What do I need to do in order for Renoise to play Phrase A first, and Phrase B second in the same pattern?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Consul said:

After creating a phrase, I can easily put it inside the pattern editor (let's call this Phrase A). But when I create a second phrase (Phrase B) and put Phrase B into the pattern editor, it plays Phrase A twice. When I select Phrase A, it plays Phrase A twice. What do I need to do in order for Renoise to play Phrase A first, and Phrase B second in the same pattern?

There are pattern commands  which let you change phrases in the pattern editor (  Zxx - Trigger phrase number xx (01 - 7E, 00 = no phrase, 7F = keymap mode), https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effect_Commands )) and/or you can switch phrases in the automation editor. Note; when using the pattern commands, you'll need to supply a note-event with it.

If you want to use the automation editor to draw in phrase changes, you'll first need to add a meta device through the trackDSP tab named "*Instr. Macros", go to the particular device in the automation editor and enter your points or lines in "Phrase Program". It still needs note-events in the pattern editor as well for the phrases to sound.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, plugexpert said:

There are pattern commands  which let you change phrases in the pattern editor (  Zxx - Trigger phrase number xx (01 - 7E, 00 = no phrase, 7F = keymap mode), https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Effect_Commands )) and/or you can switch phrases in the automation editor. Note; when using the pattern commands, you'll need to supply a note-event with it.

If you want to use the automation editor to draw in phrase changes, you'll first need to add a meta device through the trackDSP tab named "*Instr. Macros", go to the particular device in the automation editor and enter your points or lines in "Phrase Program". It still needs note-events in the pattern editor as well for the phrases to sound.

Thank you so much! Phrase Editor is so much useful right now.

I was trying to find the command by looking at this page (https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Phrase_Editor), but couldn't see any of the commands you've written. I should've thought about looking at the Effect Commands page.

Edited by Consul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...