IGNORED

Downloads:Autechre Live @ National Concert Hall, Dublin, Ireland 15 July 2018

Joyrex

2 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Because it's fucking subversive, and it's basically a middle finger to me. This is my site, not a public utility/service that anyone can do what they wish with.

oh ok

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Because it's fucking subversive, and it's basically a middle finger to me. This is my site, not a public utility/service that anyone can do what they wish with.

this is basically a middle finger to everyone on this site who isn’t you.

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

yes it's your site, so you need to cover the costs. it's your site, your hobby, and as such you have the responsibility to pay for it - I think that's why people find the "you, the user, has to pay to use this website" comment you keep repeating really disingenuous. It's your site when it's convenient for you, and it's everyone's site when you need contributions. 

I really can see problem in paying some of you see. This thing costs money and time and we’re all using it. I mean, someone must pay... it’s a clean place, lots of great and smart ppl around that like and talk about great music... what’s not to like? And why shouldn’t we support it? I just don’t get it 

• Like 1

I do pay. It's the putting fan bootlegs behind a paywall I find shady as shit. I don't need this bootleg because I dloaded it as soon as it appeared in the Dublin live thread. Uploaded by a fan.

To then take that and put it behind a paywall leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

yes i pay too btw. not because i want "more privileges" or get anything beyond the paywall. I do it basically as a donation because i love watmm. for the love of the game and the music the downloads should be accessible to all members, not just paying members. It's not a problem to me to keep the already existing live sets in the DL section behind a paywall. A watmm archive that costs the yearly fee. but to new sets that come out -- that's open and for everyone. 

small fee to support site for members to pay is not an issue in itself. but to interpret links to a fan made freely available live recording as a middle finger to the site admin, and then deleting links, and holding the files hostage behind a paywall, is 100% trying to take something away from the fans and assume ownership over something which site admin does not hold any ownership to.

very lame.

Edited by bitchroast

51 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

this is basically a middle finger to everyone on this site who isn’t you.

43 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

yes it's your site, so you need to cover the costs. it's your site, your hobby, and as such you have the responsibility to pay for it - I think that's why people find the "you, the user, has to pay to use this website" comment you keep repeating really disingenuous. It's your site when it's convenient for you, and it's everyone's site when you need contributions. 

I don't think I have ever phrased it like that - I've always asked everyone to contribute to keep the site going, and my contribution is taking responsibility to maintain it, and deal with you lot :dadjoke: from time to time. That's a lot of the reason I haven't gone further with the site and why in part the upgrade took so long - finding free time out of my schedule and life to do it can be difficult at times. I don't expect any sympathy for that, but at the same time I want everyone to realize that like any hobby, it takes time beyond the financial commitment. 

32 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

I do pay. It's the putting fan bootlegs behind a paywall I find shady as shit. I don't need this bootleg because I dloaded it as soon as it appeared in the Dublin live thread. Uploaded by a fan.

To then take that and put it behind a paywall leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I changed downloads to only paying members because going forward, that is all there will be - I hope that all of you would come around eventually and contribute something considering the unusually long time some of you have been coming here - it's obviously something of value to you, so why not give a little back besides your participation in what makes this place so great to begin with?

21 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

yes i pay too btw. not because i want "more privileges" or get anything beyond the paywall. I do it basically as a donation because i love watmm. for the love of the game and the music the downloads should be accessible to all members, not just paying members. It's not a problem to me to keep the already existing live sets in the DL section behind a paywall. A watmm archive that costs the yearly fee. but to new sets that come out -- that's open and for everyone. 

I see your point, and appreciate the constructive criticism. I think maybe it's time for a 'grandfathering' of members to bring everyone into parity? I just don't like the idea of some people never having paid for something they're enjoying and benefitting from while others are footing the bill. 

11 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

small fee to support site for members to pay is not an issue in itself. but to interpret links to a fan made freely available live recording as a middle finger to the site admin, and then deleting links, and holding the files hostage behind a paywall, is 100% trying to take something away from the fans and assume ownership over something which site admin does not hold any ownership to.

very lame.

My intention wasn't to take anything away - simply provide features and services that do cost money to users who are paying to support them. I will admit I didn't think this through enough before putting in place these changes. I could have done better.

running a forum of any kind is often a thankless job.

1 good page of the dank memes thread is worth $3 a year.  i don't get what the problem is. it's simple. server space costs something. throwing in a fiver to help w/the cost seems like the least a person can do. this place is a service. we live in a society yo. shrug. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Joyrex said:

But you're both okay with using the site for close to a decade without considering the costs to run it, nor the fact others have paid so you can use it?

Hey i made a donation once and subscribed as Expert Knob Twiddler once and i know what you re talking about. But..

6 hours ago, kausto said:

Hey i made a donation once and subscribed as Expert Knob Twiddler once and i know what you re talking about. But..

Yeah, I hear what you're saying as well, but we're getting onto a slippery slope here with the 'how much is enough over x amount of time' territory...

I think for now, until we can all come to an agreeable solution to members vs paying members, I'm going to put the Downloads back for anybody to download if they have a current account (subscribed or not).

• Like 2