IGNORED

Are beards still IDM or not

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

new track. there's a little story in the description about what led to it. also thanks to ans for the "repetition" idea.

I posted some new escape the loops on my bc recently https://escapetheloops.bandcamp.com/album/exercises-in-nothing

unlike the previous ep, this one is not-so-serious naive electronica and idm for 5-year-olds, cos this is what I end up with if I jam with no particular idea in mind, but I quite like it anyway.

if anyone happens to listen, curious to know which track you like the most so I can upload it to my soundcloud to represent the album.

cheers

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, chronical said:

why are the track titles WATMM memes? Do you identify with your music that little? Not trying to be a dick, that just weirds me öut

Which ones? Stoke newington? I thought it's just a cool name for a track, that's all. I don't see how that makes me identify with my music less. Besides the whole album is sort of a tongue-in-cheek naive electronica as opposed to my previous release, so I just wanted to have some fun. Not everything has to have an underlying personal masonic meaning which I adhere to.

10 minutes ago, lickneonlights said:

Which ones? Stoke newington? I thought it's just a cool name for a track, that's all. I don't see how that makes me identify with my music less. Besides the whole album is sort of a tongue-in-cheek naive electronica as opposed to my previous release, so I just wanted to have some fun. Not everything has to have an underlying personal masonic meaning which I adhere to.

autechrist.exe
who is brainwaltzera?
friend lyreminder (maybe)
carefree casual

but, alright ?  I've tried listening to your tunes a bunch of times, and while I really like the palette you "paint" with here and there, the melodies just don't do much for me. They don't have a crescendo for me, a high point of emotions so to speak. I really like the presentation though. Reminded me of this:

On 7/13/2019 at 2:54 PM, lickneonlights said:

new track. there's a little story in the description about what led to it. also thanks to ans for the "repetition" idea.

Cool! I like the R2D2 remixing Basic Channel style. Nice groovy beats. Next time, try giving it the dubs as well. Basic Channel style!

22 minutes ago, chronical said:

but, alright ?  I've tried listening to your tunes a bunch of times, and while I really like the palette you "paint" with here and there, the melodies just don't do much for me. They don't have a crescendo for me, a high point of emotions so to speak. I really like the presentation though. Reminded me of this:

Thanks for listening, chronical! Yeah I get what you're saying. I've been told this a couple of times already in fact, something to work on.

The video you linked is fucking fire man. I thoroughly enjoyed it and want more. Who's this artist?

interesting point. perhaps you're more of a surgeon kind of producer, if you know what i mean. that embrace the loops track was a pure beats fest. with a bit of basic channel on top. (i'm a fan of basic channel, so i always want moar!!)

so, what i'm getting at is you need to follow your heart on this one. some people want more melodies. if that's closer to your heart as well, you should work in it. but if it's not, take an example to surgeon. or current autechre.

6 minutes ago, goDel said:

interesting point. perhaps you're more of a surgeon kind of producer, if you know what i mean. that embrace the loops track was a pure beats fest. with a bit of basic channel on top. (i'm a fan of basic channel, so i always want moar!!)

so, what i'm getting at is you need to follow your heart on this one. some people want more melodies. if that's closer to your heart as well, you should work in it. but if it's not, take an example to surgeon. or current autechre.

thanks goDel! I guess chronical was referring more to the arrangement / overall structure of the track which I do find very important. Most of my output is a little all over the place in hopes of escaping the loops, and it'd be nice to have a more structured approach. 

I appreciate that you liked that track, I purposefully made it minimalistic and claustrophobic because of the experience I had. What do you mean by "giving it the dubs"?

listen to basic channel, or rhythm & sound. those tracks are always shifting and changing in a very minimalistic way. playing with the reverbs and all that. changing accents. thing about basic channel is they can get away with making tracks going for 20 mins. and somehow they keep it interesting. 

octagon might be a better example. first 5 mins is a build up. adding the different ingredients. you can skip past that. after those first 5 mins, all the ingredients are basically there and the rest of the track it's like a bubbling bath of shifts and changes. different accents. and the dubs is mostly about playing with reverbs. ;)

your beats were in a way similarly shifting and changing. but the rest wasn't really. i guess my "giving it the dubs" was about having the rest of the track also take part in these shifts and changes. similarly to the way you were playing around with the beats. (not asking you to do a basic channel trak btw)

Archived