IGNORED

Are there any plugins that let you control parameters using scripting or programming logic?

Brisbot

What I mean is, a plugin you can use to tie together or automate individual parameters using simple programming logic. I'll try to write a simple example even though this could be stretched very far. 

Say you have two parameters: pan and the cutoff frequency of a low pass. You could write conditionals such as, and I'll use percentage here for simplicity tho you could use different units:

If pan is less than 50% -> set cutoff to 500 hz;

else -> set cutoff to 1000 hz;

And obviously you'd be able to go way further with this. Tying together multiple parameters in patterns of conditionals which if done well enough would be pleasing to the ear since it is good at picking up patterns and such. And I think a good way to get interesting glitches. Use different 'units' or divisions in the parameter.

Another example would be to be able to correlate two parameters in a ratio without having to rely on those often vague ratio equations you get when trying to assign any kind of controller to a parameter. Say you have two voices of a synth with their own low passes and cutoff filters:

If: as cutoff 1 moves from (0-1000 hz) -> cutoff 2 will move from (0-250 hz) 

else if: as cutoff 1 moves between (1000 - 5000 hz) -> cutoff 2 will move from (750- 933 hz)

else if: cutoff 1 is greater than (5000 hz) -> mute cutoff 2.

Which would easily and simply create conditional ratios without having to figure out all the equations and figuring out how to tie them together. You'd then be able to just tweak the cutoff 1 knob and have cutoff 2 change in the exact way you specified.

And obviously these things would be overkill for many things, but imho with a good setup would yield interesting results in terms of glitching things out, and could also help with simple setups you need exactness for, like when wanting to mute the volume if the cutoff percentage is greater than 2000 hz.

I should make clear that I'm looking for something pretty specific. While Max/MSP, Pure Data, SuperCollider look interesting, they're more ground up type things. I'm just looking for a controller that can work in a DAW using conditional logic. Not necessarily a mathematical controller which I've used.

I've only ever looked at two DAWs in depth and they do have simple mathematical controllers which can tie together parameters in a way similar to what I'm asking, however they aren't usually intuitive and direct in the way literally writing out the conditionals would be... which would require in the very least a scripting environment.

hey i like this idea, really expands on the mod matrix and makes a synth patch more than just what the knobs are set to. this would certainly be possible with max or max 4 live, it can grab a list of all the parameters and ranges, and then with that information you could make calculations and adjustments and send changes back, just make sure you structure the patch to avoid feedback loops (i.e. gating parameter changes with an event timer). if there's a synth with this sorta stuff built in then i'd also love to check it out.

Oh yeah I imagine it's possible with all of those, but I am looking for a plugin built to be compatible with a DAW really. It would just be a more complex version of the macro knob with the ability to add conditionals. I just want to be able to patch together parameters in different ways than just relying on mathematics which as I said can lack intuition.

I'll be checking people's suggestions out and for sure will post about it here if it's what I'm looking for. I imagine there will be lots of suggestions that kinda cover what I'm looking for but I think for what I'm asking it would have to be a plugin geared strictly toward being compatible with DAWs.

Logic does scripting

In the way I'm asking? Or is it ground up synthesis type scripting? 

Macro Knobs

Math Modules in Reaktor / VCV Rack

Macro Knobs are kinda what I'm going for, but I'd like conditionals on top instead of relying on equations to connect multiple parameters, if that makes sense.

Can you use the Math Modules outside of Reaktor to control other plugins?

yaha, most daws have some sort of scripting capabilities..otherwise

Protoplug https://www.osar.fr/protoplug/

Blue Cat's Plug'n Script

It seems most DAWs that do this are in a self contained plugin? Like a Max/MSP lite environment.

I can't look at them much until tomorrow but protoplug looks like a ground up type of deal, such as the ability to script your own distortion units. Can it also interact with an automatable parameter in your DAW? I'm looking to use something like this like a controller, and not really in an audio chain, however that does look interesting and fun. Same question is for Blue Cat's which does look sweet.

9 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Can you use the Math Modules outside of Reaktor to control other plugins?

Hmmm if those plugins can be controlled by CC data then the Reaktor VST can control them. And if they can spit out CC data Reaktor can receive it and do with it whatever it wants and feed the result into other plugins. You can make if then statements in Reaktor. But don't ask me about Reaktor, I suck at it

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking about this. It would be difficult to have third party scripting capabilities in the way I'm asking. It would likely have to be either built in first party or it would be a third party who was working closely with all the relevant first parties.

If the scripting plugin JUST has capabilities to bind to the cc's then that won't be enough I would think. Still going to look through all I can though.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, bitchroast said:

max4live is pretty close to a 'plugin' version of max (as name implies, for ableton live)

Exactly. You can create a M4L device that controls the parameters of a VST according to whatever logic you want.

I *think* you might be able to have some luck with the creative use of the MSEGs in MUX Modular VST/i - It's a bit more of a higher level than Reaktor or Max so certainly much more approachable. I bought it a couple of years ago but alas have not put much time into playing with it: https://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html

Check out the modules from the Event Generators bit onwards of the documentation (about half way down the page) to see what's available - https://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/mutools-modules.html

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Loomer Architect on early bird recently - https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.htm

I think that would cover all your requirements

Runs as plugin or standalone

Hosts and controls plugins

Build your own custom sequencers for note and controller data

Tons of logic modules

Write your own modules in Lua

Archived