IGNORED

The Guardian says Breakbeats are back...

hello spiral

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, hello spiral said:

...and they're now 'Queer' and 'heralding a new 'post-cynicism' age'.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/14/the-return-of-breakbeats-electronic-music-eris-drew-violet

This is the funniest thing I've read in months

Probably since this article from the same publication:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/04/clubs-dance-music-new-generation-sanitised-events-politically-inclusive

“When young people nowadays go clubbing they like clean, unthreatening places,”

A clean, unthreatening place was the *last* thing I was looking for back when I was young.

Pussies.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:41 AM, ignatius said:

i just can't. i mean.. no.  whatever people need to get through the day and all that but i gotta keep the hokey hippie dippy healing crystals away from my daily life. yoga.. meditation.. great.. but so much of the other shit is just a different version of well intended snake oil that rots a brain

Totally - and I say this as someone who is open-minded into that stuff in terms of reading about it and all - the history, context, etc. The reality is it's been normalized and commercialized to comical levels in may parts of the U.S. I'm glad it's not polarizing but it's also become this faux movement of ersatz beliefs and practices. I wonder how many older hippies and nonconformists think about it. Like how actual unique small town cafes, honky tonks, and diners are now replaced with Cracker Barrels and mega gas station fast food joints playing CMT and hanging the same lame-ass "country" decor up. Skim any SoCal based reality show on Bravo and the degree in which new age spiritualism and even occult stuff is openly embraced by upper middle class folks and the 1% is kind of baffling. 

Machinedrum got into these in the last few years after leaving Berlin and going to LA and hilariously his music is slicker, safer, and more mainstream than ever. I'll stick with OG and underground new age stuff.

^^^ i think that all the hippie dippy stuff that comes along with the "epic festival experience" is just packaging. it's marketing either on purpose or through genuine belief by the person putting it out there. it's a conformist thing.. it's a scene.. it's a set of bullshit a person adopts to fit in.  

I've a friend who plays a lot of festivals.. knows a lot of people. he seems to exist in this place where he can simultaneously make connections with people but also step back and look at the big picture of that world and laugh at it. so much so that he makes azine making fun of it. a few years ago he told me about this pyramid scheme within the festival world that was basically just 'gift culture'. it was pretty insane. essentially deeply entitled people wanting to carry on living as leeches and just going to festivals as if they were important.. as if they were 'doing work' by being popular, hip, attractive etc. it was all wrapped up in this festival culture and weird worship rituals and all kinds of bullshit essentially.  like a lazy cult with no real beliefs. 

these are the people who at some point make a shit load of money with little effort or inherit or marry into wealth.. who then later in life get into audiophile home listen environments and pay $350 for a standard IEC cable for power connections.. and get the crystals they put on the speakers, and $200 USB cables and little bridges that support the $100 per ft speaker cables so the cables don't touch the floor. 

i'm you think i'm being judgmental it's because i am. all this shit is what morphs into something like gwenyth paltrow's steam the vagina coffee enema crowd. 

i know i'm painting the scene w/one brush and i'm fine w/that. 

40 minutes ago, ignatius said:

^^^ i think that all the hippie dippy stuff that comes along with the "epic festival experience" is just packaging. it's marketing either on purpose or through genuine belief by the person putting it out there. it's a conformist thing.. it's a scene.. it's a set of bullshit a person adopts to fit in.  

I've a friend who plays a lot of festivals.. knows a lot of people. he seems to exist in this place where he can simultaneously make connections with people but also step back and look at the big picture of that world and laugh at it. so much so that he makes azine making fun of it. a few years ago he told me about this pyramid scheme within the festival world that was basically just 'gift culture'. it was pretty insane. essentially deeply entitled people wanting to carry on living as leeches and just going to festivals as if they were important.. as if they were 'doing work' by being popular, hip, attractive etc. it was all wrapped up in this festival culture and weird worship rituals and all kinds of bullshit essentially.  like a lazy cult with no real beliefs. 

these are the people who at some point make a shit load of money with little effort or inherit or marry into wealth.. who then later in life get into audiophile home listen environments and pay $350 for a standard IEC cable for power connections.. and get the crystals they put on the speakers, and $200 USB cables and little bridges that support the $100 per ft speaker cables so the cables don't touch the floor. 

i'm you think i'm being judgmental it's because i am. all this shit is what morphs into something like gwenyth paltrow's steam the vagina coffee enema crowd. 

lol great post

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

Mhm, I dated an extremely wealthy woman last year and she was into all that shit. Legit believed a girl on youtube lived on only water for a year. I woulda been a made man if I'd stayed with her and she was *into me* into me. But that stuff was fucking infuriating and she had the rich person's attitude where she chose to discard or gloss over any form of sense I'd try to talk into her about it. Would get downright bratty about it if put on the spot.

7 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Mhm, I dated an extremely wealthy woman last year and she was into all that shit. Legit believed a girl on youtube lived on only water for a year. I woulda been a made man if I'd stayed with her and she was *into me* into me. But that stuff was fucking infuriating and she had the rich person's attitude where she chose to discard or gloss over any form of sense I'd try to talk into her about it. Would get downright bratty about it if put on the spot.

can i have her number? ?

edit:  i've date a few people into astrology and stuff like that and even that was too much some times.  also, wtf w/tarot cards that aren't tarot cards but have fairies on them and stuff. "gonna do a fairy card reading for my friend".  ugh. 

edit edit:  mermaid costumes and underwater weddings. 

edit edit edit:  but breakbeats are back so that's cool. 

Articles like these are kind of strange in the way that they don't recognize that underground electronic music has always had a gay element to it.

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

edit:  i've date a few people into astrology and stuff like that and even that was too much some times.  also, wtf w/tarot cards that aren't tarot cards but have fairies on them and stuff. "gonna do a fairy card reading for my friend".  ugh. 

Back when I lived in the city I'd take a bus to university every morning at the same time. There was this guy who seemed to be kind of a creeper who'd sit next to women (and men if no women were available) and start talking astrology with them, trying to dazzle or impress them or whatever. He was also really into mansplaining body language to people, and he'd constantly BS about it. He'd point out something specific and say it means two entirely different things depending on who he was trying to impress or what point he was trying to make. He'd talk loud enough to where everyone could hear him, so he was a regular source of entertainment in the morning.

It got to the point where people who regularly took the bus in the morning would warn others to not sit next to him. Lol. People wouldn't, then he'd make an excuse to get up and sit next to them. It was always the 'new' people on the bus, the people who weren't regulars. I knew he was picking certain people out because I saw him dozens of time on the bus and he never once sat next to me. ?

I think he sold astrology stuff. I know he sold homeopathic medicine. I could never tell if he was creeping on people or if he was just trying to push his stuff. It seemed to be both. One thing was for certain, he was a grade A bullshitter.

13 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Articles like these are kind of strange in the way that they don't recognize that underground electronic music has always had a gay element to it.

It's true. Even the 'chre made a track about pegging. 

^lol

Yeah re: braintree's post, it's weird young person 'reinventing the wheel' ignorance/arrogance thing. House etc came from disco and is gay af. Pounding 4/4s and some amyl nitrate, amirite m8? ;^)

Archived