IGNORED

The Guardian says Breakbeats are back...

hello spiral

1 minute ago, hello spiral said:

House etc came from disco and is gay af. Pounding 4/4s and some amyl nitrate, amirite m8? ;^)

Interesting interview with Frankie Knuckles from 1995 that got into the whole gay and drug scene back then.

Q. What were the other differences between the clubs?

A. The Music Box was a heavy drug crowd. And they were more into like the angel dust, those dark scary drugs. I’m not saying they didn’t do drugs at the Power Plant, because they did, but the kind of drugs the kids did at the Power Plant were more like MDA and ecstasy.

Q. How important was ecstasy to the scene?

A. Ecstasy wasn’t around. I mean, it was, but it was MDA. But I don’t want you to say that it was revolving around the drugs, whatever they were, because the main focus was the music and the dancefloor, not the drugs that people took recreationally. I mean, I know why: They took them because it was a part of the evening. But I didn’t have people walking out of there and years later ending up in rehab. It wasn’t like that at all. The audience that I had was a working-class crowd and on the weekend this is what they did, to hang out. It was part of their evening.

Q. But were there enough people taking ecstasy or MDA, with their empathetic qualities, for it to make a difference to the atmosphere?

A. Yeah, there was enough that it made a difference. Yeah, sure. But then you had that other half of people on the outskirts of the crowd, that was doing stuff like cocaine. When they can’t... Those people that wanted to smoke Sherman sticks, or happy sticks [joints dipped in PCP], as dust, as angel dust. Sherman sticks were those Sherman cigarettes dipped in something like formaldehyde. I mean, I wouldn’t allow those type of things to happen in my club. But the crowd that went to the Music Box, they got into that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine

Full thing's worth a read:

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2018/02/frankie-knuckles-1995-interview

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heavy heavy drug scenes & a lot of casualties, you could say the same for a white ethnic mdma scene like Dallas in the 80's, wrecked British 80's synth diaspora, how Detroit fed on Essex, allusions can be funny & weird but that the grauniad let a public school intern write so much cock-faced bollix is standard

one of the aspects that intrigued me with your hipster house world is that at least part of it seems to stem from people immersed in breakbeat drum programming finding another form of fluency (listening & producing) in mid-tempo 4/4, not everyone, but it's in there somewhere & that's not a generalisation either

never really been a massive d&b freak, even on the half-step, so dunno maybe it's genetic

7 hours ago, ignatius said:

^^^ i think that all the hippie dippy stuff that comes along with the "epic festival experience" is just packaging. it's marketing either on purpose or through genuine belief by the person putting it out there. it's a conformist thing.. it's a scene.. it's a set of bullshit a person adopts to fit in.  

I've a friend who plays a lot of festivals.. knows a lot of people. he seems to exist in this place where he can simultaneously make connections with people but also step back and look at the big picture of that world and laugh at it. so much so that he makes azine making fun of it. a few years ago he told me about this pyramid scheme within the festival world that was basically just 'gift culture'. it was pretty insane. essentially deeply entitled people wanting to carry on living as leeches and just going to festivals as if they were important.. as if they were 'doing work' by being popular, hip, attractive etc. it was all wrapped up in this festival culture and weird worship rituals and all kinds of bullshit essentially.  like a lazy cult with no real beliefs. 

these are the people who at some point make a shit load of money with little effort or inherit or marry into wealth.. who then later in life get into audiophile home listen environments and pay $350 for a standard IEC cable for power connections.. and get the crystals they put on the speakers, and $200 USB cables and little bridges that support the $100 per ft speaker cables so the cables don't touch the floor. 

i'm you think i'm being judgmental it's because i am. all this shit is what morphs into something like gwenyth paltrow's steam the vagina coffee enema crowd. 

i know i'm painting the scene w/one brush and i'm fine w/that. 

There's another flavor that's in to the same stuff but also Alex Jones conspiracy stuff, I've encountered some of them through the record world.

EDIT: not going to lie, I did pick up the Amen My Brother 45 about a month before this article dropped.  No regrets.

EDIT EDIT: I'm reading the Guardian article now and it's like it was written by the modern day counterpart of whoever wrote the "Do You Know Anything About Techno?" monologue from Cyberstorm. You know the one.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, cwmbrancity said:

never really been a massive d&b freak, even on the half-step, so dunno maybe it's genetic

For many people anything more complex than basic EDM sounds like noise. It's funny whenever I show even a tame track to someone who doesn't listen to electronic stuff, I'll get the question "Why don't they have lyrics?" or the statement "This really needs lyrics" lul

Archived