IGNORED

Computer question

YEK

I bought a new computer

It has a 128 gig ssd and 1tb hdd

Not too many programs will be on it but they will be installed on the ssd along with os.

Mostly just ableton and photoshop

Itunes

The rest of the data: music, videos etc on hdd

I could check how much my current c drive is holding but it's broken. Totally fucked.

Should i buy a 250 gig ssd ?

This is more of a question for reddit but...

I've had nothing but bad luck with SSD's. Everything wants to install itself in the C drive, and even if you go through all the loopholes to stop that it still ends up getting filled up in less than a year anyway with a bunch of misc bs. And it always seems to go bad before the 1+TB D drive does. I've had 3 SSDs go bad in the past probably... 10ish years? Or since I started using them, and a 4th is beginning to show the signs.

So honestly I'd say screw em unless you're going to shell out the money for a 1 TB ssd.

I'd go for 250, personally. Os tends to be bigger than you think. And theres always going to be some extra apps youd want to put on your ssd.

plus, youd need the extra space for temp files. 

crucial has some good prices on their brand of SSD.  i've used one for a few years now w/o issues. [knocks wood]

the 1TB drive is $120  or something. 

4 hours ago, Brisbot said:

This is more of a question for reddit but...

I've had nothing but bad luck with SSD's. Everything wants to install itself in the C drive, and even if you go through all the loopholes to stop that it still ends up getting filled up in less than a year anyway with a bunch of misc bs. And it always seems to go bad before the 1+TB D drive does. I've had 3 SSDs go bad in the past probably... 10ish years? Or since I started using them, and a 4th is beginning to show the signs.

So honestly I'd say screw em unless you're going to shell out the money for a 1 TB ssd.

This is really weird — I've been using SSDs as my main drive since 2012, and never had any problems. Are you making sure you're using Disk Clean-Up to get rid of shit like previous Windows installs? (this needs to be done after every proper update to Windows 10, as well)

image.thumb.png.cee65767503b67bfd0ecb294dd1e2fc7.png

With regards to these loopholes you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean? It's as simple as choosing the installation directory during install — The vast majority of programs and applications will adhere to this. There are a few applications that require some further configuration once installed (like Origin, as it still wants to install games to the C drive after you've already installed the client to another).

The only other thing I can say which may explain your bad luck: 10 years ago, SSDs were not anywhere near as resilient as they are now. I did a fair amount of research into SSDs before I started using one as my main drive, and in order to get one that was anywhere near decent, you had to be spending serious money. Especially back then, you got what you paid for. If you were only able at the time to go for a cheaper option, it may account for your bad luck with drives dying.

I recently upgraded to a whole new workstation machine, and I pulled the 128GB Corsair SSD that had been in my previous workstation since 2012 (which had daily use) so I can use it as another drive for the new workstation, and it's still working just as well as the day I bought it.

With regards to these loopholes you're talking about, I'm not sure what you mean? It's as simple as choosing the installation directory during install — The vast majority of programs and applications will adhere to this. There are a few applications that require some further configuration once installed (like Origin, as it still wants to install games to the C drive after you've already installed the client to another).

Oh I do all of that... well I think I do. But say I'll have an installation such as Omnisphere for which I have to install numerous libraries. I'll end up seeing 15 install screens. I'll install everything to the D drive, great. Then when it's over I see I now have 5 GB less space in my C drive. So I go look at WTF happened and Omnisphere put some files in there in spite of the fact I told it to install everything on D. There was not even a prompt asking about the C drive. 

And I also install a lot of old software from the 90s, which always seem to want to install to C. I've even had old software that wouldn't install on D once or twice. Stuff like this keeps happening and in a year or two the HD is full. 

I'm probably doing something wrong to have so many issues with SSD's, or I'm just unlucky. I do clean my drives and everything, but might not be enough. Actually now that I think about it all 3 SSD's ended up with hardware failure.

he only other thing I can say which may explain your bad luck: 10 years ago, SSDs were not anywhere near as resilient as they are now. I did a fair amount of research into SSDs before I started using one as my main drive, and in order to get one that was anywhere near decent, you had to be spending serious money. Especially back then, you got what you paid for. If you were only able at the time to go for a cheaper option, it may account for your bad luck with drives dying.

2 of my 3 dead drives died 7-10 years ago, and my third died last year so that makes sense. I'm honestly probably just getting unlucky since drives can die on a whim, even if they were made just fine. I've had 2 phone drives die as well in the past 2 years, which like never seems to happen in phones.

Archived