Jump to content
Syashdown

VEILS - Solopsist

Recommended Posts

Guest

I'm sure you've got enough love already, you did sound design for Arrival, Black Mirror and Ex Machina, as far as I can see. Good job on the track, it's got the momentum and suspense and stuff, not surprisingly since you seem to be an established composer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how the eerie reverb seem to retreat and vanish into the distance when there is a gap in the woodwind/choral mix. The manic insectoid bashing half way through is a welcome change to things, you ramp the intensity up so gradually here - there’s no way I would have guessed this outcome from the start. The gradual buzz-saw distortion was a nice climax – I imagined a hint of occult chanting at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, lickneonlights said:

I'm sure you've got enough love already, you did sound design for Arrival, Black Mirror and Ex Machina, as far as I can see. Good job on the track, it's got the momentum and suspense and stuff, not surprisingly since you seem to be an established composer.

Hey man! For some reason I didn't get the notifications for the replies, so sorry to take so long to respond and thanks for the kind words :) Yes, I do all that stuff, just finally putting a bit of focussed time into my personal project. 

Even though I do commissioned work its a different beast putting your own stuff out there so its good to get some feedback, I appreciate it :)

On 5/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, webby said:

I like how the eerie reverb seem to retreat and vanish into the distance when there is a gap in the woodwind/choral mix. The manic insectoid bashing half way through is a welcome change to things, you ramp the intensity up so gradually here - there’s no way I would have guessed this outcome from the start. The gradual buzz-saw distortion was a nice climax – I imagined a hint of occult chanting at this point.

 

Occult chanting would be great. There was a weird vocal element that kind of achieved this, but I removed it as it wasn't quite right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice atmosphere. very cinematic (naturally in this case). i also didn't expect the turn it took halfway, but it's not as if it was out of the realm of possibility either. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed this.  The first half reminded me a lot of "The Pearl", and while I agree that I wasn't expecting the distortion on the second half, it was also very well done and menacing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good mood and sounds for sure, lovely darkness to it, dramatic and catchy and unique. seems like the sorta thing that'd be on Opal Tapes or something. that said, even with the drums and synth drama in the second half, it doesn't really go anywhere. i don't feel like i ended up somewhere different than where i started, as a listener...which is generally what i'm looking for in any song or piece of any genre. maybe it just didn't catch me personally or on the first listen? just my initial take. post more tho! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, auxien said:

good mood and sounds for sure, lovely darkness to it, dramatic and catchy and unique. seems like the sorta thing that'd be on Opal Tapes or something. that said, even with the drums and synth drama in the second half, it doesn't really go anywhere. i don't feel like i ended up somewhere different than where i started, as a listener...which is generally what i'm looking for in any song or piece of any genre. maybe it just didn't catch me personally or on the first listen? just my initial take. post more tho! ?

Hey! Thanks for your thoughts and I totally get where you’re coming from - I do tend to think of my pieces as sort of sonic sculptures existing in a space rather than a narrative journey. Maybe because a lot of my ‘day job’ has revolves around the music being mainly for narrative purposes. But it could be cool to explore bringing more of that to my personal work. 

Regarding posting more here’s another piece if you’re interested...

 

 

 

Edited by Syashdown
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unexpected neuro bass at the end of solipsist

 

How did you do the video for chaos flutter ?  I've been getting more into abstract visuals and this kind of stuff is exactly what I'm interested in.  The higher pitched sounds in the second half of the song remind me of Ableton's  "grain delay" effect.  Your tracks have a great dynamic range to them that adds a lot of character to the ambient genre, which can be excessively boring at times.

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 10:09 PM, drillkicker said:

Unexpected neuro bass at the end of solipsist

 

How did you do the video for chaos flutter ?  I've been getting more into abstract visuals and this kind of stuff is exactly what I'm interested in.  The higher pitched sounds in the second half of the song remind me of Ableton's  "grain delay" effect.  Your tracks have a great dynamic range to them that adds a lot of character to the ambient genre, which can be excessively boring at times.

The video was done using VDMX, which is a lot of fun and has audio reactive automation. You can use it for free to try it out, you just can’t save a project. But you can save visual fx ‘channel strip’ type presets so you don’t have to lose everything when you close a project. 

The tracks are made with mostly hardware (a lot of the main ‘riff’ on chaos flutter was a Novation Peak running through my eurorack system) and acoustic recordings. Then quite a few layers of processing and resampling etc in Logic and Kontakt (and back out into the eurorack sometimes). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know about VDMX.  Thanks for the hint, I already know I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.

 

Edit:

I just noticed that it's Mac only.  Back to Jitter then.

Edited by drillkicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaos Flutter (Cello Stretch 6-2) - Really beautiful how during the intense passage the audio sounds like it's breaking apart, it gives it a very organic quality. Then when things get quiet again it the howlings sounds so gentle by comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some new bits 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...