IGNORED

AFX 237 V.7 How much is Richards voice?

vkxwz

I know there probably isn't any real way to know for sure, but how much of this track do you think is solely RDJ's voice from that sample at the beginning? the breaks at around 1:40 sound like breaks sampled from elsewhere, but theoretically he could have created these samples from the original, right? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I can't find much at all (on this forum or anywhere else for that matter) about the production of this album, and so much of it makes me go "how did he even do that?"

Maybe it's none. I know I read somewhere that he likes to create human-like voices with pure synthesis - as far as I know he did it this way on Fenix Funk 5.

who knows? Though, based on no actual experience whatsoever with the device/software, sound like the initial vocal sample is his voice mangled using Kyma

Pretty well known that most of Drukqs was composed on laptop using PlayerPro, which (in part) explains how he achieved the highly microedited sounds. 

Oh, also, obligatory "read the rules" comment. Welcome!

13 hours ago, Dpek said:

Maybe it's none. I know I read somewhere that he likes to create human-like voices with pure synthesis - as far as I know he did it this way on Fenix Funk 5.

I that's the case for afx 237, although the speech synthesis on 54 cymru beats is really impressive (if that's what it is),

6 hours ago, T3551ER said:

who knows? Though, based on no actual experience whatsoever with the device/software, sound like the initial vocal sample is his voice mangled using Kyma

Pretty well known that most of Drukqs was composed on laptop using PlayerPro, which (in part) explains how he achieved the highly microedited sounds. 

Oh, also, obligatory "read the rules" comment. Welcome!

Sounds to me like all of the mangling to the sample was done in PP, you can get that sort of effect pretty easily with retrigger effects, although I find getting it to sound as good as that is near impossible...

15 hours ago, vkxwz said:

Sounds to me like all of the mangling to the sample was done in PP, you can get that sort of effect pretty easily with retrigger effects, although I find getting it to sound as good as that is near impossible...

*shrugs* could be - could also get that pitch down effect at the tail end of the intro using commands in a tracker too, just sounds to my ears like the sort of manipulation that has the kyma fingerprint (you might check out the video here for some examples, some of which are also reminiscent of the some of the sound manipulations on drukqs). Also, just found an interesting video here that actually kinda reminds me of Cunningham's Flex. 

That Kyma stuff looks really interesting, I see what you mean now.

I got bored and tried to see if I could make realistic sounding drum samples starting only with a voice, here's the result... https://clyp.it/

I know it's shit but if I can do that then I reckon aphex could make anything out of anything really.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it was a pointless question anyway, so I'm gonna ask another pointless question, anyone know how RDJ made the acid line on Mt Saint Michel? looks to me like he's filtering the retriggered percussion in a really cool way to get those sounds but it's really hard to tell what is really going on.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:24 AM, vkxwz said:

I guess it was a pointless question anyway, so I'm gonna ask another pointless question, anyone know how RDJ made the acid line on Mt Saint Michel? looks to me like he's filtering the retriggered percussion in a really cool way to get those sounds but it's really hard to tell what is really going on.

Just the acid line thru the first third/half of the track? If I was going to try to recreate something like it it I'd find a microtonal scale I really like, then make a bunch of acid sounds in the scale, then throw it together until something good comes out in the track.

Usually in Aphex's stuff there is a fairly simple background melody that acts as a kind of anchor which all the other parts play off of and follow, like with Vordhosbn or T69 Collapse, with the almost sine-wavey melody. Though a few of the tracks on Drug Use really sound like he was throwing a ton of stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Like the first half of Michel's, Cock/Ver10, or 54 Cymru Beats. Not the whole time in each song, but mostly when there's no background melody to 'anchor' and sounds are flying every which way.

There are some glitches he could have used percussion to trigger a volume envelope for said glitches, like that 'aii-aii' bit at 1:22. It can definitely be faster to use percussion to control volume verses controlling it manually. You also get more unique envelopes. It's also a really good way to layer different sounds since they all use the same volume envelope to kinda glue them together.

I think the acid line on mt st michel is just some acid riff he made and saved into his samples folder and then chopped it up. gated and filtered and resampled it with a tracker and added breaks and other vocal samples and pads. Could make it in 5 minute probably.

76%, it's fairly obvious if you know what to listen for.

5 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

I think the acid line on mt st michel is just some acid riff he made and saved into his samples folder and then chopped it up. gated and filtered and resampled it with a tracker and added breaks and other vocal samples and pads. Could make it in 5 minute probably.

I used to think this but I doubt it now, doesn't sound like real acid that's been sampled and then chopped up. another thing is how he made the opening few bars of the track, I actually used to think that acidy thing writhing around were bird noises haha. It's really subtle but dense

On 6/9/2019 at 8:07 AM, Brisbot said:

Usually in Aphex's stuff there is a fairly simple background melody that acts as a kind of anchor which all the other parts play off of and follow, like with Vordhosbn

Yeah I love how he works around it in vordhosbn, especially when he warps that anchoring melody, which becomes really obvious in the drumless version

On 6/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, Gocab said:

76%, it's fairly obvious if you know what to listen for.

Dude which analysis algorithm are you using? I'm running it through my analysis analyzer and it's CLEARLY 8.2345%. Pfft... 76%... someone just finished watching Bethesda's E3 conference thing.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, Bubba69 said:

You could make the sounds in 5 minutes, but you could (probably) never then take it and make something as good as St. Michels with the sounds.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, pidgin said:

I read somewhere online that it was 8.2345% his voice.

good to know my blogs got a readership

Archived