IGNORED

Digital VST version/alterantive to the Lyra8?

Polytrix

I don't have the money to afford this beast of a thing but it looks EXACTLY up my street.

Anyone know of a similar digital like thing..basic functions but full of potential?

Yeah it looks and sounds amazing to me. I'd buy a vst version in an instant. If it had built in rever it would be perfect in my book. I think it's only mono output though right? 

Cheers guys. Just looked at both of those ideas and they both sound amazing but look a bit too complex for me.

I really like the idea of keeping stuff minimal. Perhaps I'm just a bit wimpy though.

You'll have some trouble finding a pre-built alternative, especially since the Lyra-8 is so specific in its interface and method of interaction. My advice would be to study the manual and try and replicate the functions in VCV Rack – you could even fake some of the touch elements using the built-in gamepad interface in VCV.

15 hours ago, Polytrix said:

Far too complex for me sadly, id never pull it off. 

You're disadvantaging yourself with this mindset! Sure, it may take a little while to get used to how things interact etc, but you should definitely give it a try.

I'm going by memory here, but here's what I think it should be like:

Start with a single voice (looks like it's pretty much just a simple oscillator and a VCA with an ASR envelope), then turn that into a pair that can modulate each other, mixed into a basic filter ("sharp"). That pair then can turn into another pair, perhaps with a bit more cross modulation to make things a bit unpredictable, and then a control for the release of all four voices (I think that's the "hold" control?); you can add a switch for each pair to multiply/divide the signal going into the release to simulate the "fast" switch (again, I've only barely played one so this is going from vague memory). If you then duplicate this group of 4, adding some more cross modulation (all of this modulation should be switchable) you're nearly there.. after that it's just a matter of adding a couple of delays, a distortion, and an LFO routable to delay time/oscillator pitch.

It likely won't be an exact copy, but you could probably get something with a similar feel. I'm actually tempted to try replicating it myself, perhaps on my Nord modular..

42 minutes ago, modey said:

You're disadvantaging yourself with this mindset! Sure, it may take a little while to get used to how things interact etc, but you should definitely give it a try.

I'm going by memory here, but here's what I think it should be like:

Start with a single voice (looks like it's pretty much just a simple oscillator and a VCA with an ASR envelope), then turn that into a pair that can modulate each other, mixed into a basic filter ("sharp"). That pair then can turn into another pair, perhaps with a bit more cross modulation to make things a bit unpredictable, and then a control for the release of all four voices (I think that's the "hold" control?); you can add a switch for each pair to multiply/divide the signal going into the release to simulate the "fast" switch (again, I've only barely played one so this is going from vague memory). If you then duplicate this group of 4, adding some more cross modulation (all of this modulation should be switchable) you're nearly there.. after that it's just a matter of adding a couple of delays, a distortion, and an LFO routable to delay time/oscillator pitch.

It likely won't be an exact copy, but you could probably get something with a similar feel. I'm actually tempted to try replicating it myself, perhaps on my Nord modular..

Absolutely. It seems daunting, but synth designers are usually pretty generous in providing flow diagrams that show how the basic components (VCO, VCF, LFO, etc) of their designs interact with each other. If you're using something like VCV (which is completely free btw!) or the Nord it then just becomes a matter of replicating that flow of components. Even if you don't come close to an exact emulation, you'll usually hit on something interesting and will have learned a lot in the process.

The Nord in particular is great for this kind of thing because the interface is dead simple, there are thousands of patches online that you can reverse engineer, and the actual machine won't crash if you hook something up the wrong way. I even made a passable emulation of my Minibrute on it because I got sick of having to clear space on my desk to set it up.

The trickiest part to pull off here seems to be the actual touchy bits on the synth. It's something like a capacitative touch thing it seems, maybe you could emulate it with a touchpad on a laptop somehow or hook up an ipad.

Roli lightpad block might work nicely for that, not quite the same feel, but would be nice to set up with say, a Max patch.. hmmm

Archived