IGNORED

Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be interesting, Blanck Mass has always had this far more engaging and less pretentious aura to his work compared to his peers.

really?? i found the last album v pretentious. a big ol nothingburger packaged in classic "indie" album art (oooh a close up of a dog mouth) and fancy colored vinyls etc. i'll listen to this one, but slightly apprehensively. listen to the last one about 5 times and got 0 out of it.

Worth noting the limited edition is only available through Sacred Bones' site: https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr220-blanck-mass-animated-violence-mild

Blanck Mass is one of my favorite artists working today and if the new single is any indication he's leveled up yet again. Instabuy, cannot wait.

29 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

Worth noting the limited edition is only available through Sacred Bones' site: https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/sbr220-blanck-mass-animated-violence-mild

Blanck Mass is one of my favorite artists working today and if the new single is any indication he's leveled up yet again. Instabuy, cannot wait.

Boomkat already have a green vinyl edition listed on pre-order

1 hour ago, dr lopez said:

really?? i found the last album v pretentious. a big ol nothingburger packaged in classic "indie" album art (oooh a close up of a dog mouth) and fancy colored vinyls etc. i'll listen to this one, but slightly apprehensively. listen to the last one about 5 times and got 0 out of it.

I don't want to be negative, but I agree with this. I was guilty for reasons unknown of convincing myself his last album was a masterpiece but then sat back one day with a fairly clear mind, opened the light and suddenly thought the exact opposite. I think I was finally getting my head together after five years of heavy drug abuse lol. Thankfully those days are long gone but I'll still give this a listen, as his first album, the ambient one is still pretty excellent. Though looking at the cover the new album is gonna be more like the last one....

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Boomkat already have a green vinyl edition listed on pre-order

So does Norman, they had the bundle with the tote bag and red vinyl as well, but it sold out.

I reckon the music by itself is not pretentious, it's the way it's packaged and presented that is... calling an album simple, fun dance music "World Eater" and then including a message to donate to your local LGBT and animal rights groups is super pretentious (not to mention politically insipid).

To make a serious, objective appraisal of any work of art, one should consider the full package (titles, artist statements etc. don't happen by accident) BUT... that doesn't stop the listener from listening to a piece of music on their own terms and enjoying it for their own subjective reasons.

I loved the last two albums and this sounds like it'll be fun too, but I personally can't take it seriously. It's a little like he doesn't understand why his own music is good.

1 minute ago, springymajig said:

including a message to donate to your local LGBT and animal rights groups is super pretentious

The absolute gall. How dare you force me to read such a wretched ass chunder of a post. 

23 minutes ago, springymajig said:

I reckon the music by itself is not pretentious, it's the way it's packaged and presented that is... calling an album simple, fun dance music "World Eater" and then including a message to donate to your local LGBT and animal rights groups is super pretentious (not to mention politically insipid).

To make a serious, objective appraisal of any work of art, one should consider the full package (titles, artist statements etc. don't happen by accident) BUT... that doesn't stop the listener from listening to a piece of music on their own terms and enjoying it for their own subjective reasons.

I loved the last two albums and this sounds like it'll be fun too, but I personally can't take it seriously. It's a little like he doesn't understand why his own music is good.

agree completely. apart from loving the albums. the name itself is extremely pretentious. it's electronic music for indie people.

facepalm react all you want m8. just look at the roster of that record label he's on. embarrassing stuff for brooklyn no-nothings. just realized this guy was in fuck buttons. case closed lmao.

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

facepalm react all you want m8. just look at the roster of that record label he's on. embarrassing stuff for brooklyn no-nothings. just realized this guy was in fuck buttons. case closed lmao.

Wait, what? Sacred Bones is one of the better labels out there and Fuck Buttons’ debut and Tarot Sport are classics. And I forgive Slow Focus for existing because it made Andrew and Ben go off and make a bunch of great solo albums. Your damage lately seems to be specifically focused on vague perceptions of a “scene” that doesn’t exist and/or vitriol based on press releases that have been written hyperbolically since the beginning of time. And laughing at an artist encouraging his fans to donate to various charitable causes? What the fuck kind of Neanderthal nonsense is that? Whatever you’re smoking, you might need to take a break, dude.

6 minutes ago, QQQ said:

u wot, Slow Focus is killer

I should probably listen to it again, as it’s been years, but after Street Horrrsing and Tarot Sport it felt like a pretty substantial step backwards to me. Maybe it’s aged well.

Doctor: Last question. Could you give me an example of simple, fun dance music?

Springymajig: Hmmm...I think the Blanck Mass album "World Eater" would fit that description pretty good.

Doctor: OK. Good news is that you have a bitchin taste in music. Bad news is that you are definitely on the spectrum. 

• 1 month later...

Archived