IGNORED

Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild

Listened to this a few times now and enjoying it. Feels like it needs to be played loud.

Kinda gives me a similar feeling to OpN's "Mutant Standard" from Garden of Delete... Like it takes all these cheesy tropes from 90s rave/techno/trance/videogame music and throws it all together in his own unique way. It's nostalgic. 

Been thinking about the way he presents himself and the music... Ie the "pretentiousness" of it... I don't think the music lacks depth... I just don't think it expresses or evokes what he thinks it does in the slightest. It's like he thinks it's angry protest music... but to me the distortion just makes it sound warm and fuzzy, and hence nostalgic in sort of shoegazey way. The melodies are too cute and cheesy to be angry, and too earnest to be "ironic"... But that's kinda why I like it too... I get bored of irony really quickly. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally listened to this in its entirety (the vinyl arrived over my vacation) and I think @joshuatxuk really hits the nail on the head with "euphoric rave." This pushes all my emotional buttons to glorious extremes, just as World Eater and Dumb Flesh did before it. I get that it's not for everybody, and won't change anybody's mind about the guy ("Death Drop" is basically "Rhesus Negative 2: Electric Boogaloo") but I live for this shit. This record makes me absolutely elated.

Also kind of interesting to note that my two favorite records of the past month-ish are this and Datach'i's Bones, which are very thematically similar. 

I was expecting this in 2017, but instead we got World Eater which wasn’t bad by any means, however it was somewhat subdued compared to Dumb Flesh.  

This is on the other hand is a more consistent follow up imho.  

Most in this thread have already said it better, but I’ll add that House vs House is absolutely banging.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, dr lopez said:

skipping back and forth between rhesus negative and death drop is really funny. they're the even in the same key!? or rather... note.

Yeah BM is one of those "You hear one of his albums, you've heard them all" artists

• 6 months later...

I'm having a blanck mass binge today, and I must admit I do rather love this album. Its fun and well produced and uplifting. I need those elements right now. 

I think its the most Fuck Buttons-esque of the BM albums.

Archived