IGNORED

WATMM's Favourite Releases Mid-2019

cear

1. Dedicated | Carly Rae Jepsen

2. AE_NA | Autechre (especially Portsmouth & Denver)

3. Fishing for Fishies | King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

4. Still on my Mind | Dido

5. We Dance Alone | Yaporigami

6. Let's Ride | Roza Terenzi

7. Circling Architecture | Rings Around Saturn

8. Smash Gate | Caramel Chameleon

9. In the End | The Cranberries

10. Worldwide EP | Roza Terenzi

Been a pretty great year for dancey pop, electronic & Aussies thus far. Dido & Cranberries the biggest surprises, never expected that quality from them in 2019.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Roo said:

Nice contrasts 

36 minutes ago, Roo said:

3. Fishing for Fishies | King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

6. Let's Ride | Roza Terenzi

7. Circling Architecture | Rings Around Saturn

8. Smash Gate | Caramel Chameleon

9. In the End | The Cranberries

10. Worldwide EP | Roza Terenzi

Been a pretty great year for dancey pop, electronic & Aussies thus far. Dido & Cranberries the biggest surprises, never expected that quality from them in 2019.

Shit I didn’t realize Rings Around Saturn had something new out. All over that.

ill post my list tomorrow 

12 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Shit I didn’t realize Rings Around Saturn had something new out. All over that.

ill post my list tomorrow 

He also released WaveTable EP a month or two ago, that was actually my close #11. I listen to that one a lot, just not quite as impressive as some of the others listed.

Incredible year for music already.  Out of many many great releases, these are back to front excellent:

Meat Beat Manifesto - Opaque Couche

Underworld - Drift series

Special Request - Vortex

Wee DJs - Crisps eps

Die Erzeugung/Dasdreick - Die/Das

Milieu - Shallow Earth

DJ Guy - Jungle Archives, etc, etc

36 - Fade to Grey

Magic Arrows - Sweet Heavenly Angel of Death (Reissue)

Lifted - 2

Burnt Friedman - Music Traditions of Central Europe

Isshu - Is

Yagya - Stormur

Squaring Circles - Motion

Plaid - Polymer

Darren Nye - Freedom of Thought

Lada Laika - Quiet Songs for Sad People on a Lonely Planet

Pyramids of Space - FROM AtoM

Cygnus - Voyager VII

FFT - In-side

Christoph De Babalon - Hectic Shakes

Bass Clef - 111 Angelic Midi Cascade

Not really listened to that much new shit this year but these all amazing

Cex - Cave Paintings

Robert Rich - Tactile Ground

Ae Live

Holly Herndon - Proto

The Caretaker - Stage 6 & Everywhere, an empty bliss

11 hours ago, Extralife said:

Damn Roo - that Rings Around Saturn is luuuush. Thanks for the tip.

I remember you got me on to him around the time of the S/T release last year (which I still adore), so thrilled to repay you!

These aren't quite as undeniable as that studio album was, but cool little releases nonetheless. Decompression & Harmonic Visions especially. All the tracks are good in isolation, but listening through both releases those two can't help but hog the limelight a little.

8 hours ago, Roo said:

I remember you got me on to him around the time of the S/T release last year (which I still adore), so thrilled to repay you!

These aren't quite as undeniable as that studio album was, but cool little releases nonetheless. Decompression & Harmonic Visions especially. All the tracks are good in isolation, but listening through both releases those two can't help but hog the limelight a little.

Yeah the S.T. album is one of my favorites from the past few years.

You heard his Pickleman alias yet? Jungle tunes a la Plug/early-Squarepusher.

https://detrimentalaudio.bandcamp.com/album/black-mountain-motel

28 minutes ago, Aural Unrest said:
On 6/13/2019 at 6:48 PM, StephenG said:

Concealed Sequence - A Form of Fusion 

Bless you Stephen! ☺

It really is a great album, congratulations (and thank you!). I'm listening to it again today, totally unpretentious release (what I mean here - it's just good tunes! So many releases off warp etc these days seem to be trying to make some type of statement or something. I dunno), nice melodies and interesting beats throughout. It takes me back to 2010ish when I was just discovering the PlanetMu back catalogue. There's bits throughout that remind me of some of my other favorite artists (Notsu could be a Plaid track, Future Chaos has a DJ Shadow vibe to me, Capitol K Vibes from The Caledonian March, etc) as well. 

I'm happy to see so many EKTers on my list this year so far, you all make some amazing music. 

14 minutes ago, StephenG said:

It really is a great album, congratulations (and thank you!). I'm listening to it again today, totally unpretentious release (what I mean here - it's just good tunes! So many releases off warp etc these days seem to be trying to make some type of statement or something. I dunno), nice melodies and interesting beats throughout. It takes me back to 2010ish when I was just discovering the PlanetMu back catalogue. There's bits throughout that remind me of some of my other favorite artists (Notsu could be a Plaid track, Future Chaos has a DJ Shadow vibe to me, Capitol K Vibes from The Caledonian March, etc) as well. 

I'm happy to see so many EKTers on my list this year so far, you all make some amazing music. 

Yeah, I'll add that to my list as well.  Been really enjoying Concealed Sequence.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:26 PM, chronical said:

https://anothernonagon.bandcamp.com/album/anothernonagon

bandcamp embed isn't working @Joyrex

fantastic album though ?

Bandcamp embeds require you to use the Bandcamp button on the toolbar, and paste in the Album ID found in the Wordpress embed code on their site - you can't just paste in the URL like other embeds (it's because Bandcamp doesn't support (yet) the oEmbed format like others do.

It's been nice revisiting the AE_LIVE Cascadia sets again. And Polymer feels stronger than Plaid's LP from 2016. (I forgot the name)

And new Datach'i and Oberman Knocks are around the corner, so I'm stoked about that.

Some LPs!

Aleksi Perälä - Sunshine 3 (Djak-Up-Bitch (DUB)) Another great set of colundi techno/electro and a lush drony outro.
Amon Tobin - Fear in a Handful of Dust (Nomark Records) Beautiful ambient record full of shimmering synths, clickity bits and grainy textures.
Anderson .Paak - Ventura (Aftermath Entertainment) Perfect blend of soul/hip hop/pop.
Audiosport 8 - De Diepe Wereld (Nightwind Records) Raw electro/techno/ambient tracks from Legowelt and Animistic Beliefs.
Basic Rhythm - On The Threshold (Planet Mu) Grimey, bass, rigid beats. Underrated Planet Mu release, released under East Man last year (no MC’s on this latest).
Bjarki - Happy Earthday (!K7) Killer braindance/idm/ambient. Less fun than his 2016 releases, but undeniably pleasing/lush either way.
The Black Dog - Conspiracy Tapes RMX Destruction Day (Dust Science Recordings) Beautiful drony ambient tracks with conspiracy theorists talking over them.
Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation (Editions Mego) Most blissful arpeggios in the game.
Central - Om Dans (Help Recordings) Chill af house tracks.
Chris Moss Acid - Channel 303 Cable 909 (Not On Label / Self-Released) ROUGH acid techno.
Cosey Fanni Tutti - TUTTI (Conspiracy International) Throbbing dark industrial ambient.
Cygnus - Voyager VII (Biosoft Records) Hands down the best melodic electro/techno out.
DMX Krew - Glad to Be Sad (Hypercolour) Third one in the saga for Hypercolour, funky colourful melodic EDMX with crunchy drum machine electro beats. Classic.
Efdemin - New Atlantis (Ostgut Ton) Incredibly mesmerizing techno record.
Ekoplekz - Kirlian Visionz (Seagrave) Hazy industrial mechanoid dub tracks. Can never get bored of him.
Helm - Chemical Flowers (PAN) Beautiful and eerie ambient/soundscapes.
ilkae - formal format (Eerik Inpuj Sound) Classic IDMs.
Jayda G - Significant Changes (Ninja Tune) Smooth and hot disco house.
Lena Raine - Oneknowing (Local Action) Dreamy melodies, downtempo beats and distant vocaloid chants.
The Caretaker - Everywhere, an empty bliss (History Always Favours The Winners) Mangled ballroom. Outtakes from the Everywhere At The End Of Time series.
Meat Beat Manifesto - Opaque Couché (Flexidisc) Impeccable braindance record, back once again.
nachtzug - aux4416 (mindcolormusic) Ideal squiggly braindance/electro.
Placid Angles - First Blue Sky (Magicwire) Classic jungle/drum and bass/techno by John Beltran.
Pyramids of Space - FROM AtoM (Mordant Music) Jazzy freeform space beats from Cornwall.
Ras_G & The Afrikan Space Program - Dance of the Cosmos (Akashik Records) Ras G does four on the floor; lofi beats, thick basslines and housy stabs.
Samuel Kerridge & Taylor Burch - The Other (Downwards) Grim sound design and ruthlessly hard beats along with some spoken word.
Silk Road Assassins - State Of Ruin (Planet Mu) Tough grimy trap beats. Reminds me a lot of Kuedo’s Severant but colder and more spaced out.
Sote - Parallel Persia (Diagonal) Brilliant merging of synthetic and traditional. Lightweight floating to being crushed by loads of granularly crunched up instruments.
VC-118A - Inside (Delsin) Dark dubby electro/techno. Textured and well-crafted blirps and beats.
Yagya - Stormur (A Strangely Isolated Place) Radiating melodical dubby techno.
Yves De Mey - Exit Strategies Part 1 (Entr'acte) Mechanical soundscapes all carved out with one DSP synth, the Modor NF-1. Think Grischa, Oberman, Vainio,...
Yves De Mey - Sueda (Line) Equally as fine as the other release, more layered.

Will give a June 30 deadline update after the new Thom Yorke, but this Hatchie album Keepsake is incredible, a formidable late contender for Australian AOTD.

Archived