IGNORED

Bands with at least 2 vocalists

Rubin Farr

This trend seems to have peaked in the 70s, and became more rare as the music video era began.  I'm referring to band members that did lead vocals on at least one track, they can be an instrumentalist as well.  Gimme your favs, any genre.

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

The Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

The Cars

Tears For Fears

NWA (and numerous old school hip hop bands)

Outkast 

Sonic Youth

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Revolting Cocks

Secret Chiefs 3

Do Beastie Boys count?  It seems they were either all on a track, or Ad Rock did the lead on the more rock sounding stuff.  Did Mike D or MCA have their own lead tracks?

1 hour ago, valleyinaire said:

My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ween, Pixies, Depeche Mode, Smashing Pumpkins, The Clash, Oasis.

Did Kim Deal sing lead on a Pixies song?  I thought she always did back up.

Dave and Martin from Depeche Mode have remarkably similar voices.

Sloan is one of the few bands I can think of from the 90's onward where all 4 members share lead vocal duty.  Yet they rarely have more than two part harmony.  There's 3 parts briefly on the second verse of this song... I'm just posting it because it's a good song and I don't think many people outside of Canada are aware they exist (and have been cranking out albums since the early 90's). 

Sadly their later albums have been a lot of gloss with less creativity.  No shortage of pop hooks though.  Never Hear the End of It was their last great album.  30 songs, and not even a double album!

40 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Did Kim Deal sing lead on a Pixies song?  I thought she always did back up.

She sang lead on Gigantic.  probably more than that, that's just the one that immediately comes to mind.  She wrote a lot less in the Pixies than I expected, considering how solid her songwriting is with the Breeders.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Genesis (Gabriel era; Collins would occasionally sing lead)

Scar Symmetry (clean vocalist and harsh vocalist)

Australian Crawl (fuck you I love Australian Crawl)

57 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Dave and Martin from Depeche Mode have remarkably similar voices.

Sloan is one of the few bands I can think of from the 90's onward where all 4 members share lead vocal duty.  Yet they rarely have more than two part harmony.  There's 3 parts briefly on the second verse of this song... I'm just posting it because it's a good song and I don't think many people outside of Canada are aware they exist (and have been cranking out albums since the early 90's). 

Sadly their later albums have been a lot of gloss with less creativity.  No shortage of pop hooks though.  Never Hear the End of It was their last great album.  30 songs, and not even a double album!

She sang lead on Gigantic.  probably more than that, that's just the one that immediately comes to mind.  She wrote a lot less in the Pixies than I expected, considering how solid her songwriting is with the Breeders.

Ah thanks!  Luckily, I got to see her live with them for the Doolittle 20th anniversary tour.

These are the best I can think of since the 70s where vocals were fairly democratic, and the band wouldn't be the same without such partnerships:

UK - Massive Attack (3D & Daddy G)

US - ATCQ, Mastodon, Warpaint

Australia - Clouds, The Go-Betweens, Regurgitator

A lot of other worthy ones, but these have meant the most to me.

Edited by Roo