IGNORED

Thom Yorke - ANIMA

misc

Dawn Chorus does have that prestige sense of purpose about it, like it is meant to be a standout track, but the talking delivery used on that & Last I Heard just bugs me, doesn't suit Thom well for mine. Play to your strengths!

But you never know. TMB by and large took on an added dimension after Thom's breakup and her cancer passing.

Definitely better production quality than any of his other solo stuff. Not The News sounds very inspired by modern electronic trends. Only listened to it once so far but I like it more than Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes. The best song on TMB is Rhubarb by Aphex Twin (Nose Grows Some)

Wonder if he’ll do a remix album. Squarepusher would take Impossible Knots to the next level. And a Boards of Canada remix of Dawn Chorus would be quite cheeky 

there is some stuff to explore on further listens, but it snaps into the default thom yorke mode of reverbed whinery backed by fruity loops' primitive plinky plonk still too often.

24 minutes ago, eugene said:

but it snaps into the default thom yorke mode of reverbed whinery backed by fruity loops' primitive plinky plonk still too often.

:watmm:

It's a bit dull but then again, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes really grew on me a few years later, and is now like a hazy lazy saturday morning staple for me.

The animated loops for each song in Spotify when in player mode are really great. Each song has its own little animated gifs triggered throughout the duration of the song.

I can tell that this will be a grower, like most of his stuff is to me. Really enjoying the journey that this is taking me on at the moment. Twist, Knots, Not The News are immediate standouts, but sure this’ll change.

Really lush production also- I’m sure Godrich’s Influence really helped.

5 hours ago, Roo said:

Dawn Chorus does have that prestige sense of purpose about it, like it is meant to be a standout track, but the talking delivery used on that & Last I Heard just bugs me, doesn't suit Thom well for mine. Play to your strengths!

But you never know. TMB by and large took on an added dimension after Thom's breakup and her cancer passing.

agreed on this but especially for the last track. that last track had me thinking ??? REALLY ??? as it was looping around and going no where during the second half.

overall i enjoy this but man. also i can't believe "twist" is a song on this album .... another case of ???REALLY??? 

1 minute ago, bitchroast said:

agreed on this but especially for the last track. that last track had me thinking ??? REALLY ??? as it was looping around and going no where during the second half.

overall i enjoy this but man. also i can't believe "twist" is a song on this album .... another case of ???REALLY??? 

Really? I love Twist. One of his better rhythmic solo tracks. 

5 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Really? I love Twist. One of his better rhythmic solo tracks. 

this is such a dumb nit pick but i think it's the specifically "twist twist twist" vocals and the kid choir sample. it's hard for me to hear it and not more explicitly picture someone (Thom Yorke) playing around with samples in a DAW/sampler, as opposed to hearing the song as a song and the sounds as part of the song. 

Just now, Extralife said:

Runawayaway is a damn good techno track. Sounds like something Underword has been putting out recently.

good to hear. i've only given album ~1.5 listens so nitpick criticisms obviously with a grain of salt. still gonna rinse this.

Watched it on Netflix, though it was going to be more than a 15 minute video? (I know there's more music, I'm listening to it now). I thought the "film" was a bit boring at first, but I was blubbering like a fool by the end of it. Curse you recent break up. Anyway, fml

can’t wait

hears a few of these songs live during his last tour. really looking forward to how they turned out.

Edited by jules

The PTA thing was, uh, interesting...

The Dawn Chorus segment was nice though. That song is amazing after just 1 listen. He’s been quite prolific lately. 

A Thom album with a Tool title and a BoC track name - worlds are colliding!

• Like 1

I'm 2 thumbs up on the Anima short--this coming from a guy with very low tolerance for anything involving choreography/interpretive dancing/musicals/etc. There's something about PTA that makes everything gorgeous even if it's hamfisted or artsy. What I appreciated most is that it did have a sense of humor amidst the r/iam14andthisisdeep in the form of that lunchbox. When Thom peeks over the wall and sees the box, he has a nearly cartoonish look of glee. It was quite psychedelic come to think of it. 

• Like 1

yea, it was like purposely bad or something. it was off but not in a welcome way. That Dawn Chorus bit though. 

have a few folks over now and the fire is ripping. def gonna play the album after a few leave and settle in...