Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
manmower

Societas x Tape

Recommended Posts

lol sick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, valleyinaire said:
1 hour ago, Gocab said:

Much much better isn't it?

never trust a joyrex :cisfor:

for real... joypapa, what do you know??

edit: @Joyrex

Edited by MIXL2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will remember this day forever :wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Now I can’t even connect to NTS 

Edited by jules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIXL2 said:

recognize the ticking from the last loop on here 

 

there was this ticking beat at some point which sounded very very similar to the last loop on here, just wanted to mention that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

This makes me think it will just be a mix of other people’s stuff, and nothing by them

if so, I’ll be pretty disappointed 

but I can always hold out that maybe, mixed in with their influences, they toss in an unreleased track or two 

I don't understand why they don't release more stuff, surely they know everybody would love it?  Do they want to curate their artistic image and avoid releasing old stuff or do they not care about sharing their fruits with the world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

the twoism thread w tracklists etc https://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14300

8 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:
8 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

This makes me think it will just be a mix of other people’s stuff, and nothing by them

if so, I’ll be pretty disappointed 

but I can always hold out that maybe, mixed in with their influences, they toss in an unreleased track or two 

I don't understand why they don't release more stuff, surely they know everybody would love it?  Do they want to curate their artistic image and avoid releasing old stuff or do they not care about sharing their fruits with the world?

mdg always hinted that the radio silence was due to personal stuff.. who knows if we'll ever know or hear more from them

Edited by MIXL2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well having heard it all, I’m equally disappointed at the bait-and-switch, and happy with the fun journey of their influences and likes 

but mostly I’m let down. It was great but given the hype of possible new BOC, it can never measure up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fizzkinz said:

Well having heard it all, I’m equally disappointed at the bait-and-switch, and happy with the fun journey of their influences and likes 

but mostly I’m let down. It was great but given the hype of possible new BOC, it can never measure up. 

i had my expectations set to "it's going to be a mix of Boards Of Canada's rarities by Tycho or something". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

should have just said dj set from the jump like every other artist and would have been all good

 

simple stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jules said:

should have just said dj set from the jump like every other artist and would have been all good

 

simple stuff 

uhh. noone would've listened then. heellloooooooooooooooooooooooo ???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one would have listened? Cmon pigster.

eh, maybe you’re right...

no

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being straightforward isn’t really their M.O. but I hear what you’re saying and the letdown will naturally turn some folks off.

i on the other hand found the set mesmerizing and appreciate hearing then pull some the cover off around their mystique. Some truly weird shit here and it was real fun watching people get tripped up trying to ID some of these tracks. I know I’m not alone here just wanted to share my appreciation. 

Now, bring on a new album this fall...???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seeing an unspecified 2 hour chunk on a Free internet radio stream doesn't automatically mean it's going to be a !!2 hour long!! stream of unannounced unreleased new music. not everyone is as cool as Autechre i'm afraid. 

autechre are truly the best band ever.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

seeing an unspecified 2 hour chunk on a Free internet radio stream doesn't automatically mean it's going to be a !!2 hour long!! stream of unannounced unreleased new music. not everyone is as cool as Autechre i'm afraid. 

autechre are truly the best band ever.

 

wont argue with that one bit. but almost everyone’s contribution was clear except for theirs. kinda beat. especially with that time slot.

 

mix was cool, don’t get me wrong. Just feels a little bit eh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

seeing an unspecified 2 hour chunk on a Free internet radio stream doesn't automatically mean it's going to be a !!2 hour long!! stream of unannounced unreleased new music. not everyone is as cool as Autechre i'm afraid. 

autechre are truly the best band ever.

Yea I mean, did I think it was going to be 2 hours straight of new BOC, of course not. 

But some fresh material. 

I guess you hit it though... after so much of Autechre delivering more than anyone could ever imagine over the years, everyone else is basically just a tease/troll 

Edited by fizzkinz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Autechre and RDJ have been setting a pretty unfair standard these past couple years. NOBODY is complaining but it does sort of feel like other warp artists should open the vaults even just a bit.

oh and add Paradinas to the list as well as he also opened the SoundCloud gates a couple years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fizzkinz said:

Yea I mean, did I think it was going to be 2 hours straight of new BOC, of course not. 

But some fresh material. 

I guess you hit it though... after so much of Autechre delivering more than anyone could ever imagine over the years, everyone else is basically just a tease/troll 

Squarepusher an his massif (including those whomst've written TJ off several releases ago, like meself) would contend that his was the MVP set of this xperxienxe and I cannot disagree. The Ae was fantastic of course, like 2+ hrs new cumworthy Lego Feet basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You could say it's greedy expecting artists to release stuff from the vaults, but at the same time they could charge good money for it and many of us would pay it.  It's not like anyone wants free 300 hour BOC soundcloud dumps.  I'd honestly pay $100, to be frank even more than that, for even a digital-only a box set of high quality "official" recordings of Boc Maxima, Old tunes, and any other random stuff they have lying around.  It might remove some mystique and it's clear they try to foster that mystique, but it's been years now and that aspect has kind of passed, everyone knows those are legitimate and they're considered "official" now

Not like they have to but they so easily could, it would take minor effort on their part, I'm sure WARP would send people over to their house to even physically pick the tapes up out of their storage location if they agreed to it, and they'd get tons of money which, if they are opposed to money, they can donate to a charity of their cause, and everyone would be happy.  To me it defies explanation, but it's obviously their choice entirely, I just don't understand it though, I may be entirely wrong about all of this

Edited by Zeffolia
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zeffolia said:

You could say it's greedy expecting artists to release stuff from the vaults, but at the same time they could charge good money for it and many of us would pay it.  It's not like anyone wants free 300 hour BOC soundcloud dumps.  I'd honestly pay $100, to be frank even more than that, for even a digital-only a box set of high quality "official" recordings of Boc Maxima, Old tunes, and any other random stuff they have lying around.  It might remove some mystique and it's clear they try to foster that mystique, but it's been years now and that aspect has kind of passed, everyone knows those are legitimate and they're considered "official" now

Not like they have to but they so easily could, it would take minor effort on their part, I'm sure WARP would send people over to their house to even physically pick the tapes up out of their storage location if they agreed to it, and they'd get tons of money which, if they are opposed to money, they can donate to a charity of their cause, and everyone would be happy.  To me it defies explanation, but it's obviously their choice entirely, I just don't understand it though, I may be entirely wrong about all of this

2007:

Quote

MDG: ...

The band has been working through these archives for the past two years or so - whenever they've been free, in an effort to place the work into 'chapters'. But it's a huge time-consuming job in itself just to archive it properly and clean it up. (The analogue cassette archive alone took a year or so to work through). It seems there's a good chance that some of the older work (and the side-project work) will now get a release in some form, maybe in installments. The plans for this are still being thrashed out, although it's always a low-priority issue as obviously the upcoming album is the main thing everyone is concentrating on right now.

I hope this clears it up a bit for you

2008:

Quote

MDG: At this point, the box set of early material is looking 99% likely to happen. I say that because it hasn't been finally compiled yet. There's a big archive to get through, the obvious tracks that were on various demos and mixtapes given out to friends in the late eighties and early nineties, but also a huge amount of unreleased material that hasn't surfaced so far. There are hundreds of tracks for every year from say 1986 through to 1995, and then for every record BOC have released there are a mountain of tracks that didn't make it onto the record. So the time involved is the only issue from what I understand. There's been regular debate across here about what goes on them and in what order etc. But if you can be patient, these tracks will come out, and a whole lot you won't have heard yet too. Asides from that, let me just say once again for the record, there's a new album coming out first, and maybe more. No dates yet, but they are definitely coming."

2013:

Quote

Mike Sandison: "We did some travelling for a while and have been working on some personal projects, after that we made our EP 'Trans Canada Highway'. Right after that - it was already the end of 2006 - we started writing the songs for 'Tomorrow's Harvest', but we didn't get much further than just make sketches: we suddenly realized our studio was way too small, and that we should optimize it. Once you start with rebuilding you never know where it's gonna end, so it took us a lot of time. At the same time we indeed started raising kids, it took a long while before we actually started to write songs. I'm shocked every time someone tells us our previous record is eight years old, it feels like a lot less than that, cause we've been very busy with things that's not of any business of the outside world.""

this is what we know, apparently work on doing a proper release of the vaults has been going since atleast 2008 and it's v time consuming, we got th in 2013 and they have been busy w personal stuff then proper silence since 2015 (until now I guess.. kinda?)

so who knows!

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^ yeah that I can also only speculate the brothers have far more stuff on tape, DAT, and other iterations of demos, mixtapes, etc. that would take a while to properly archive and organize, and that's just their own material.  This mix really shined some light on their personal collection and knowledge of other underground and obscure music. I can only imagine they're sitting on some very rare private press and home demos from friends, peers, and tape traders. RDJ and Autechre have had some mixes of similar obscure record density, albeit more electro / techno stuff, that were pandoras boxes for crate diggers and trainspotters and this BoC set is very much the same level, even more so arguably. 

about halfway through this

that song at 57:05 holy fuck, lot of great and intriguing stuff before that but this one is stupid lush

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guess @oscillik was kinda right after all.. xD

track at 33 mins is rlly sweet would love to know what that is

also the track at around 42 mins is the one I meant sounds exactly like the webloop at 13:20 here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have a tracklist? That twoism link looks dead to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, parameter said:

Anyone have a tracklist? That twoism link looks dead to me. 

it works for me?

nwae

Spoiler

Boards of Canada - Societas X Tape

1 (short wave radio scan)
2 Jasper Van't Hof - Associations
5 ? (70s american sounding one)
7 Heldon - Une Drole de Journee
9 ? (sounds like old shoegaze boc?)
11 ? (boc?)
13 Victrola - Maritime Tatami
18 George Duke - Vulcan Mind Probe
21 Flayer - Wanna Get Back Your Love
24 ? (shoegazy early mbv/boc sounding one)
26 Doxa Sinistra - The Other Stranger
28 ? (short jingle. "your choice....")
29 ? 
31 ? (indian raga sounding one) 
33 ? 
35 ? (short vignette "get a shot of protection...")
36 Esplendor Geometrico - ID?
38 ? (boc? Aquarius mix with Imagination - Just an Illusion vocals)
40 ? (boc synths with vocals "climbs to the end of time...")
42 ?
44 ? (Caretaker? with orange juice ad)
46 Devo - Shrivel-Up
48 ? ("next door neighbours child" sounds like Amon Duul 2?) 
54 ? (short vignette)
55 These Trails - Garden Botanum
57 ? (boc old tune?)
59 ? (Pauline Oliveros - Bye Bye Butterfly?)
59 (radio scan)
60 Alan Parker - The Free Life
62 Egberto Gismonti - Jardim de Prazeres
64 Les Maledictus Sound - L'etrange monsieurs Whinster 
66 Severed Heads - We Have Come to Bless the House
70 ? (Morgan Page - Heartbeat ?)
70 ? (casiotone 202 ad)
71 Filmmaker - Crow Mask
73 ? (vignette, indian?)
76 Yellow Magic Orchestra - Light In Darkness
77 ?
78 Lena Platonos - Αιμάτινες Σκιές Από Απόσταση (Bloody Shadows From Afar)
82 ? ("soon the queen will come our way" / hippie vignette)
83 ? (80s post punk "seems a long time ago")
85 ? (laughing)
86 D.A.F. - Osten Währt Am Längsten 
89 ? (sounds like Angelo Badalamenti?)
91 ?
93 ? (piano)
97 ? (spacey)
100 Colourbox - Tarantula (12" Version 1)
103 33.10.3402 - Kanap
108 ? (reversed singing)
110 ? (70s LQ source "dance... music of our love" )
111 ? (boc sounds. tape hiss.)
115 ?
115 Bruce Haack - Angel Child
116 ? (waves, organ)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

track at 33 mins is

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...