Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
manmower

Societas x Tape

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Joyrex said:

Makes me wonder where Mike and Marcus find this stuff...

Probably abandoned audio libraries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eh Speedy said:

I about lost it when they dropped my fave Colourbox track ever! Wish it had been the whole 7 mins cause that droney guitar breakdown at the end is mind melting. 

 

Couldn’t for the life of me figure out the origin of this melody during the broadcast - it’s Tarantula by This Mortal Coil! No idea who ripped off who first but thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2nd listen through (minus expectations)....loving the creepy/funky vibe (as someone mentioned previously).

Going back to the Old Tunes tapes, I’m finding a lot in common.  Many of the looped samples on these tapes clearly come from the same lineage as Societas. Pitched down Trapped being the most obvious example, but most of the others also pull from similar weird pop tunes. The influence is clear on the Warp releases as well obviously — but Societas +Old Tunes makes so much sense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Extralife said:

2nd listen through (minus expectations)....loving the creepy/funky vibe (as someone mentioned previously).

Going back to the Old Tunes tapes, I’m finding a lot in common.  Many of the looped samples on these tapes clearly come from the same lineage as Societas. Pitched down Trapped being the most obvious example, but most of the others also pull from similar weird pop tunes. The influence is clear on the Warp releases as well obviously — but Societas +Old Tunes makes so much sense.

couldn’t agree more

 

awesome mix. unrealistic expectations aside. 

 

Unfortunately their penchant for mystique and searching is exactly what leads to these things. Had it just been advertised as a DJ set like every other DJ set, it would have been way better. As it was, I enjoyed it a little yesterday but waaaay more today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milky said:

Couldn’t for the life of me figure out the origin of this melody during the broadcast - it’s Tarantula by This Mortal Coil! No idea who ripped off who first but thanks

 

I'd never heard this track before this mix (of course), it's really, really great. 

I'm absolutely swimming in this mix right now. I have no sense of time when I'm listening to it. Most of it sounds like it's from the 70s but outside of the ID'd tracks who even knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is this the most recent track they played - it's from 2007

Dolphins From The Future is a hell of a project FYI - kind of got overshadowed by 0PN and Emeralds but its from the same mid-00s underground cassette label synth scene

also props to the person on reddit who found this...(I'm sure the same stuff is popping up on twoism)

https://www.davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/terrace.html

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many of these tracks have been used in film?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

man this tape has been on a loop. sick stuff. too bad we can’t get a HQ version

Edited by jules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jules said:

man this tape has been on a loop. sick stuff.

same here... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uninterrupted YT rip

Most up to date tracklist

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIXL2 said:

same here... 

The first track I looked up was Filmmaker’s. Dude makes some sick ass stuff!

 

 

obsessed

Edited by jules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also someone was asking what the most recent track on there was, I believe that esplendor geometrico is from 2013?

edit: @joshuatxuk

Edited by MIXL2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This tape makes me want to cry happy tears. It's like a phone conversation with a pen pal i've wrote for decades. Every moment in the mix draws a line to a different sound in their discography. Besides, this is an invaluable collection of their broad inspirations, peppered with undoubtedly their own work that's never seen the light of day til now

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

is this the most recent track they played - it's from 2007

Dolphins From The Future is a hell of a project FYI - kind of got overshadowed by 0PN and Emeralds but its from the same mid-00s underground cassette label synth scene

also props to the person on reddit who found this...(I'm sure the same stuff is popping up on twoism)

https://www.davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/terrace.html

 

thought the architecture of that pavillion looked familiar! I had Tomorrowland posters on my walls as a child (I have never been to Disney Land/World though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, all someone needs to do is identify the band in the photo - surely they're not called Cement, Gravel, and Rock"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Now, all someone needs to do is identify the band in the photo - surely they're not called Cement, Gravel, and Rock"?

I wouldnt be surprised. Disney acts exist solely in their own little theme park universe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoomTssPhace said:

I wouldnt be surprised. Disney acts exist solely in their own little theme park universe

Well, if you read that page where the Tomorrowland Pavillion pics were found, they have had Elvis impersonators, etc. - I think it is a sponsor, because you can see in the photos that Coca Cola was the main sponsor of the Pavillion, and they would put other sponsor names underneath... the... coke... sign... OMG! :dadjoke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Cement, Gravel & Rock Co."

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tracklist was added to on the NTS site.

 

UNKNOWN - (Shortwave Radio Scan)

JASPER VAN'T HOF - Associations

COL - This Flat Earth

HELDON - Une Drôle De Journée

KILLING JOKE - Unspeakable (What’s This For Outtakes Cassette Version)

DOLPHINS INTO THE FUTURE - [Untitled] (A3)

VICTROLA - Maritime Tatami

GEORGE DUKE - Vulcan Mind Probe

FLAYER - Wanna Get Back Your Love (Mix 1)

DOXA SINISTRA - The Other Stranger

PAUL HART - Prospect

ESPLENDOR GEOMÉTRICO - Regeneración

BOARDS OF CANADA - Aquarius X Slave To The Rhythm & Vocals From Imagination

JUPITER PROPHET - 35,000 Ft

ALTERED INSTRUMENTAL COVER OF FRANCIS LAI - Un Homme Et Une Femme (With Minute Maid Orange Juice Ad Playing Alongside)

DEVO - Shrivel-Up

STEFAN ZAUNER - Billy Miller

THESE TRAILS - Garden Botanum

PAULINE OLIVEROS - Bye Bye Butterfly

ALAN PARKER - The Free Life

EGBERTO GISMONTI - Jardim De Prazeres

LES MALEDICTUS SOUND - L’etrange Monsieurs Whinster

SEVERED HEADS - We Have Come To Bless The House

MORGAN PAGE - Heartbeat (From Drifting Into View Album)

UNKNOWN - Casiotone 202 Ad

FILMMAKER - Crow Mask

YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA - Light In The Darkness

立花ハジメ [HAJIME TACHIBANA] - XP41

LENA PLATONOS - Bloody Shadows From A Distance

DAF - Osten Währt Am Längsten

COLOURBOX - Tarantula (12" First Version)

33.10.3402 - Kanap

BRUCE HAACK - Angel Child

CHRISTIAN CHEVALLIER - Sea Cathedral

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So. No new BoC. As expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems u gotta get that tattoo @Joyrex...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the secret to a mix like this is finding individual tracks that on their own might not mean much and may seem a little forgettable, (especially if buried on a whole album of similar stuff!), but when weaved either side of similar obscure tunes they start to tell a totally different story. I think there's a little bit of magic to that.

It takes time and money for such endeavours, which most of us don't have, but I enjoyed the mix. I fell asleep with 25 minutes to go so having another run through.

 

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...