IGNORED

Societas x Tape

manmower

3 minutes ago, oscillik said:

So. No new BoC. As expected.

Boohoo dude lol. Instead we got something they have literally never done before, a completely original mix of music that means something to them. Isnt that inherently more valuable than some little snippet of new material they've pissed out? Its not surprising they keep their distance. They offer a two hour scrapbook of audio and everyone's still NEW ALBUM WHEN?!?!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

seems u gotta get that tattoo @Joyrex...

That tracklist is obviously partial, and in JR's defense, skips the track he bet that tattoo on.

I'd love to see the remaining unknown tracks identified regardless of who made them. There's another one in the first 10 minutes that's really badass.

1 hour ago, manmower said:

Amazing how people find this stuff!

58 minutes ago, manmower said:

"Cement, Gravel & Rock Co."

spacer.png

Oh, well done - really obscure and yet here we are!

27 minutes ago, oscillik said:

So. No new BoC. As expected.

:orly:

18 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

seems u gotta get that tattoo @Joyrex...

:orly:

4 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

Actually fuck!! the track at 57 minutes is not listed!!! 

black think about it GIF by Identity

I want a Joyrex hexagon tattoo thread!

But personally I can’t believe some of it isnt BoC anyway. Even some of the layering and effects surely count. It certainly wasn’t a ‘press play’ situation. So maybe it all counts as BoC ?

Edited by jules
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jules said:

I want a Joyrex hexagon tattoo thread!

But personally I can’t believe some of it isnt BoC anyway. Even some of the layering and effects surely count. It certainly wasn’t a ‘press play’ situation. So maybe it all counts as BoC ?

Exactly - the very fact that the track at 57:05 is not listed is rather suspicious... are any of the other interludes now known tracks? I bet not ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BoomTssPhace said:

Boohoo dude lol. Instead we got something they have literally never done before, a completely original mix of music that means something to them. Isnt that inherently more valuable than some little snippet of new material they've pissed out? Its not surprising they keep their distance. They offer a two hour scrapbook of audio and everyone's still NEW ALBUM WHEN?!?!

Honestly? I don't care if they never release any new music again.

What does irritate me is this continued trolling, and that is exactly what it is now. The moment that Boards of Canada were going to be involved in this, both the band and the label would have known that there would be rampant speculation if they didn't stipulate exactly what their contribution would be — so they played coy. In fact, I would argue that they played up on it entirely by being cryptic and not specifying that it would be a mix (don't start splitting hairs with the whole "selections" thing either). Also having their contribution towards the very end builds speculation that it's going to be "something special", and whilst arguably it was something special, it arguably wasn't what the vast majority of fans were hoping for.

So what happened happened — yelps from Believers of The Brothers every time a warbly synth came on.
it's just, like, what's the point in perpetually doing a gotcha? 

image.png.b1bb55317dd5e7ae38db532ea4d91ebe.png

So you're going along with the trolling too eh @Joyrex? It's disappointing, but not unexpected.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, oscillik said:

Honestly? I don't care if they never release any new music again.

What does irritate me is this continued trolling, and that is exactly what it is now. The moment that Boards of Canada were going to be involved in this, both the band and the label would have known that there would be rampant speculation if they didn't stipulate exactly what their contribution would be — so they played coy. In fact, I would argue that they played up on it entirely by being cryptic and not specifying that it would be a mix (don't start splitting hairs with the whole "selections" thing either). Also having their contribution towards the very end builds speculation that it's going to be "something special", and whilst arguably it was something special, it arguably wasn't what the vast majority of fans were hoping for.

So what happened happened — yelps from Believers of The Brothers every time a warbly synth came on.
it's just, like, what's the point in perpetually doing a gotcha? 

image.png.b1bb55317dd5e7ae38db532ea4d91ebe.png

So you're going along with the trolling too eh @Joyrex? It's disappointing, but not unexpected.

Oh, man - you really think I'm "trolling" by refusing to acknowledge that there has to be some of Boards of Canada's own music in this mix?

Here's my opinion (whatever it's worth, and based on nearly two decades of dealing with record labels and artists):

I don't think BOC intentionally misled anyone, least of all their fans - as we've seen time and again, the fans are more than capable of doing that to themselves.

I asked WARP if there was any info they could share about what BOC are doing, and the response was "BoC is a mix and we don't know what a lot of it is or where it comes from" - I think WARP trust Mike and Marcus enough that they don't need to vet or pre-approve anything BOC would put out, since it would obviously reflect on them and WARP.

I don't think putting BOC near the end of the programming schedule had anything to do with "building hype" - again, the fans do that to themselves.

Now, do I think there are BOC tracks in that mix? Yes I do - until the interludes and that notable drone synth two at 57:05 is acknowledged or identified, the track listing provided to NTS only references music the band played, presumably so fans interested can seek out those artists/music.

• Like 3

Oooh yeah, here we go again!!

Don't loose sleep over it oscillik, it's just not worth it. It is what it is. 

Compared to Autechre and the way they treat their fans, BOC are light years behind. But nevermind, such is life.

Edited by beer badger

When i was listening someone said they heard incredible string band at the end. I haven't relistened to it it but that gap on playlist at end could be them. I should check out that now but no wifi.

If (and that's an 'if' in italics at 112pt, possibly sans-serif) the 57min track is BoC it certainly sounds in keeping to a homemade mid 80s sound and fitting of a 'Drone #' title

Trying to pin the 'string machine' model, a Roland VP-330 maybe ?

1 hour ago, beer badger said:

Oooh yeah, here we go again!!

Don't loose sleep over it oscillik, it's just not worth it. It is what it is. 

Compared to Autechre and the way they treat their fans, BOC are light years behind. But nevermind, such is life.

to be fair, I know of no band that is as generous as Sal and Ralph. 

Im a huge fan of Osc and I agree somewhat with the way it was promoted or not. They did add ‘bootleg’ to the live set after we figured soundboard. But all of that aside, their contribution is absolutely fantastic. It is. They just operate the way they do and it should be respected. Some of the way they are presented is also out of their hands. All good. Tons of new music from this weekend. Good times. :beer:

Edited by jules
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Milky said:

Couldn’t for the life of me figure out the origin of this melody during the broadcast - it’s Tarantula by This Mortal Coil! No idea who ripped off who first but thanks

This Mortal Coil covered Colourbox, cause they were all 4AD.

there was >>> literally zero indication or suggestion <<< in the WARP30 marketing, or in the description of the boards of canada slot, to suggest or indicate that there was going to be new music. 

https://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=281608#p281608

"Societas x Tape most likely means either a new album, considering the definition of the title and its possible thematic relation to TH and maybe even IABPOITC, and an unreleased tape of some kind."

???

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oscillik said:

In fact, I would argue that they played up on it entirely by being cryptic and not specifying that it would be a mix (don't start splitting hairs with the whole "selections" thing either).

what do you mean "don't start splitting hairs with the selections thing either" ??? 

you mean to say, don't bring up the fact they literally spelt out what the stream was going to be, and that they made zero indication that there was going to be new boards of canada music ???

how is that splitting hairs ??? 

64845238_10161807495805521_6590922861001

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yekker said:

When i was listening someone said they heard incredible string band at the end. I haven't relistened to it it but that gap on playlist at end could be them. I should check out that now but no wifi.

my bad, i thought that  Bruce Haack  was incredible string band

this mix rules. very BOC-y even in the not BOC tracks. like when you listen to an aphex twin mix and every second track is ??? is this AFX ??? but it turns out to be someone else. half these tracks sound like BOC anyway, through their curation. it's a rad listen.

• Like 3

this is a strange one, reminds of the fellow Canadian Langley School versions of "Major Tom" and "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - it's simple, borderline novelty but it's earnest and heartfelt

https://www.discogs.com/Jupiter-Prophet-35000-Feet-Challengers-Theme-Sayanata-Vondata/release/2387147

Listened four times now. It's like stepping into a parallel dimension, or several, and I think that's one thing they try to do with their music. There's an interview somewhere where Mike or Marcus is talking about trying to imagine if the standard genres we know developed different ways, branching into things that don't really exist for us. Or like pop songs from a parallel 1970's.

I'm thankful that the vaults of modern culture (say 60's on) have such breadth that there can still be 2 hours of music like this, which would totally stupefy identification by any one individual without the aid of Shazam or the like, or even a community of many thousands with whatever technology at their disposal. They probably knew that they would be lifting many of these things out of obscurity, relatively speaking.  

It's not ALL that different from what some vaporwave artists and curators do. And that's not meant as a slight at all. There are some mixes on youtube I've listened to so many times and had such appreciation for -- that they are masterpieces in my mind, outside and above any particular artists or songs the mix features. This is how I think the Societas mix will age for me, and I quite love it already. 

One correction I noticed for the tracklist Joyrex posted is the Flayer song is linked to the wrong mix. Should be this one. Just noticed because this was the first song I wanted an ID on. Such a groove.

• Like 4

Much more interested in this than I'd have been in a new album playback or something. Also people need to check their privilege demanding stuff and saying this is a disappointment BoC don't owe you anything yo.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

the laughing track is quite eerie to me

that track was clearly misidentified. it was too unlikely a pick in the first place (random obscure french ep by famous actor and actress, even the french don't know the guy had a music career prior to acting).