IGNORED

Societas x Tape

manmower

I’m guessing it would be next to impossible for them to release this in HQ due to copyrights? But if they uploaded it for free...

Please??????

14 minutes ago, sunshine recorder said:

could be old news,but someone made a playlist of tracks they think are boc,s,sounds pretty legit too,old tunes style era.interesting

had a wee quick listen.

i would suggest boc's contributions extends to more than just the 20 minutes here. you'd be better off just finding the time to listen to the 2 hour tape imo.

The very first track isolated in that Soundcloud upload is the one I was talking about earlier, 7:59 - 10:10 in the mix. Definitely fits the "very BOC-y even if not BOC" description. Love it either way.

soundcloud upload completely skips over the interlude track which is (probably) definitely totally BOC sandwhiched between THESE TRAILS - Garden Botanum and PAULINE OLIVEROS - Bye Bye Butterfly at 57 minutes. 

for example. 

so we could be looking at 20-30 mins of possible unheard boc,that would be pretty cool ,also the whole 2hours would make a killer glastonbury mixtape this weekend,if your lucky to be there

Edited by sunshine recorder
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, melancholera said:

Listened four times now. It's like stepping into a parallel dimension, or several, and I think that's one thing they try to do with their music. There's an interview somewhere where Mike or Marcus is talking about trying to imagine if the standard genres we know developed different ways, branching into things that don't really exist for us. Or like pop songs from a parallel 1970's.

I'm thankful that the vaults of modern culture (say 60's on) have such breadth that there can still be 2 hours of music like this, which would totally stupefy identification by any one individual without the aid of Shazam or the like, or even a community of many thousands with whatever technology at their disposal. They probably knew that they would be lifting many of these things out of obscurity, relatively speaking.  

It's not ALL that different from what some vaporwave artists and curators do. And that's not meant as a slight at all. There are some mixes on youtube I've listened to so many times and had such appreciation for -- that they are masterpieces in my mind, outside and above any particular artists or songs the mix features. This is how I think the Societas mix will age for me, and I quite love it already.

Well said. That first bit the brothers articulated hits on the core of music hauntology that's been ascribed to their work and others, especially within genres like vaporwave and hypnagogic pop. These ventures into styles and aesthetics that were flash-in-pan moments in pop culture and music history that were created and experienced then never took off and instead languished as distant, all but forgotten or destroyed artifacts and memories. That's why I have such a love-hate relationship with retro-oriented music. So much stuff, good, bad, and flat-out cheap is just retreading existing and often very well known media and art. It's a sea of postmodern mediocrity that accelerates to end products jam packed with existing references and devoid of any real originality or ethos, even if it's earnest and well-done. Defenders of the status quo will point to earlier movements like hip-hop sampling, plunderphonics, any revival genres of the 90s and 00s but what they don't appreciate is the context of those artists efforts in which crate-diggers, nerds, and general aficionados of the obscure and underrated sampled and were influenced by stuff they truly loved.  They had no fad or hype insight in these pre-internet, pre-social media and web 2.0 and 3.0 underground scene. Stuff that did become overused - the amen break or frequently used movie samples like Blade Runner - were done so out of sincere popularity and became more like established canon than easy tropes. 

We're in for a sea of really, really overwhelmingly redundant music and media in the decades to come but I have hope that bubbling underneath are mixes like this and artists like Boards of Canada who continue to forge unique music from the underappreciated and underutilized minutia of the past. Until the last few centuries only truly revered and protected art was remembered and heralded. Unremarkable or flat out bad art was discarded and forgotten but so was the art of those who did not have social clout and/or were oppressed. Music could only be passed down via oral tradition or notation. We're at a crossroads now where we can access a lot of still existing but obscure media still archived or literally hoarded away, digitize and preserve it, and then re-contextualize it with research and discussion. That's what made this mix so amazing. A watmmer who I don't think is active here anymore, Tauhid / Deion Sanders, once mentioned how the best DJ mixes aren't ones that are cohesive in the overt sense - genre-specific seamless flows - nor ones with a staggering mix of heavy hitting tracks or crowd favorites - but instead the ones with diverse arrays of styles, genres, and deep cuts that are meticulously put together in mix more akin to a collage. A mix that has an inherent sense of narrative to it or at least yearns for people to engage with the way they would a piece of original art.

• Like 9

Great mix. NTS was perfect for this sort of show. Fits right in with Elana Colombi: you guys might want to check out her regular Monday night shows.
It also reminds me quite a bit of this YouTuber called Suburbanbatherson, whom I followed for some time, up until YouTube pulled all his shit down. Quite a bummer, because all those mixes were solid, weird, and all-news to me. I wonder if he has a mixcloud account or something like that. Although I also really liked the lo-fi visuals he made for his YouTube mixes, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

given that I hadn't heard of this thing and had zero expectations, I'm pretty happy with it (haven't heard of a lot of these bands).  also there is DEFINITELY at least 10-15min of interstitial BoC music in here.  

with all that said I have to admit that I'm sort of annoyed that BoC has released one album in the past 13 years, and that it was their worst album.  a proper new release would have been nice.

Edited by playbynumbers
  • Sad 1

I think we should be over complaining about "people's" expectations of this mix by now

It is a hot summer night dream of a mix. I've discovered so much already through it, as have many

And yes, Im convinced there is a bit of them in this for sure. Joyrex is off the hook for his tattoo as much as I wanted to see that video thread...

1 minute ago, jules said:

And yes, Im convinced there is a bit of them in this for sure. 

if you listen to the mix then there's no question. this mix sounds like a modern Few Old Tunes style mixtape, with a heavier emphasis on other peoples music/edits/mixes over original music. 

but they still sneak some in ..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bitchroast said:

if you listen to the mix then there's no question. this mix sounds like a modern Few Old Tunes style mixtape, with a heavier emphasis on other peoples music/edits/mixes over original music. 

but they still sneak some in ..

for sure. subtle fucks... 

love it

21 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

this is a strange one, reminds of the fellow Canadian Langley School versions of "Major Tom" and "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - it's simple, borderline novelty but it's earnest and heartfelt

https://www.discogs.com/Jupiter-Prophet-35000-Feet-Challengers-Theme-Sayanata-Vondata/release/2387147

in boc mix as well, the second half of this track turns into a weird remix / edit, which unless i'm missing something i'm guessing is a BOC edit. 

although it might just be an uncredited other song entirely .. 

the NTS provided tracklist has a lot of gaps and missing tracks, come think of it .. 

57:10 is amazing :catghost: i am all in on this sound. it's got the emotional content of an old tunes track but similar to seven forty seven, it sounds like the brothers at the height of their powers rather than an early incarnation of their sound.