IGNORED

What Did You Think of WARP 30 (So Far)?

Joyrex

What Did You Think of WARP30 (So Far)?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Did You Like the NTS Live Broadcast?

• Yep, amazing stuff
    • Eh, could have been better
  2. 2. Who Was the Best Presenter at WARP 30 on NTS Live?

• Adrian Sherwood
    • Aphex Twin
    • Autechre
    • Battles
    • Bibio
    • Boards of Canada
    • Bone Head
    • Brian Eno
    • Broadcast
    • Chris Taylor (Grizzly Bear)
    • Clark
    • Danny Brown
    • Darkstar
    • Death Grips
    • DJ Nigga Fox
    • Evian Christ
    • Extinction Rebellion
    • Ezra Miller
    • Flying Lotus
    • Gaika
    • Gonjasufi
    • Hassan Rahim
    • Hudson Mohawke
    • Kelela
    • Kelly Moran
    • KWES.
    • Leila
    • LFO (A Tribute to Mark Bell)
    • Lonelady
    • Lorenzo Senni
    • Mark Pritchard
    • Mira Calix
    • Mount Kimbie
    • Nightmares on Wax
    • Oneohtrix Point Never
    • Paul White
    • Plaid
    • Primitive Art
    • Rian Treanor
    • Ryuichi Sakamoto
    • Shayne Oliver (HBA)
    • Special Request
    • Squarepusher
    • Tim Saccenti
    • Weirdcore
    • Winston Hazel (Forgemasters)
    • Yves Tumor
    • !!!

WARP says there are other things planned for their 30th anniversary celebrations so that remains to be seen, but what did you think of the NTS Live broadcast overall?

some phone ins, some nice mixes, some lame and embarrassing mixes. overall cute, but nothing like WARP20 or even WARP10 (wasn't paying attention then hehe)

I think overall the marketing and design was poor. unclear what this actually was. They were realllllly stretching to "create hype" with the WXAXRXP shit and in the future you will have heard this or w/e.

Press should have been this: Hi guys, WARP here. We're turning 30! Over the weekend we've asked our artists, new and old, to play some music on NTS radio over 3 days. Some of them will play their music, others just music they love, even some surprises~ have fun! We know we will!

I have only heard the Autechre bits and some of the LFO stuff - it's great. I didn't really know what was going on, I just downloaded these today. 

A lot of these artists/people I have never heard of. It would be nice to have something from Andrew Weatherall/Sabres of Paradise/2LS - they were a big entry point for me at least.

27 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

some phone ins, some nice mixes, some extremely lame and embarrassing mixes. overall cute, but nothing like WARP20 or even WARP10 (wasn't paying attention then hehe)

I think overall the marketing and design was poor. unclear what this actually was. They were realllllly stretching to "create hype" with the WXAXRXP shit and in the future you will have heard this or w/e.

Press should have been this: Hi guys, WARP here. We're turning 30! Over the weekend we've asked our artists, new and old, to play some music on NTS radio over 3 days. Some of them will play their music, others just music they love, even some surprises~ have fun! We know we will!

Quoted for real talk

31 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

some phone ins, some nice mixes, some lame and embarrassing mixes. overall cute, but nothing like WARP20 or even WARP10 (wasn't paying attention then hehe)

Yeah for real. If that had been the press release I would’ve actually been hyped.

Loved it. Sterling work imo.

I’m not on Twitter or Facebook so I don’t know about how things happened in those spheres. I just tuned in and enjoyed.

I'm torn.

The marketing was a bit OTT and overhyped (albeit visually tasty) and Warp kept misleading the guts out of us all weekend, rehashing old content, etc.

However... I did enjoy a lot of what I heard. The Autechre tapes, BoC mixtape, OPN gig, Mount Kimbie set and Bibio unreleased jams were all lush. There's still a load of stuff i missed! 

I know it sounds silly but I think I'd have enjoyed the whole thing a lot more if the promo was low key and less cryptic, OR, if there was actually more meat to chew on. Seemed like a bunch of missed opportunities. For example, why couldn't we have that making of Windowlicker video instead of the AFX Field Day set?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what else comes from this WXAXRXP thing. Maybe they've kept the big guns back for later in the year. 

i thought it was great. warp20 was fine but mostly just for the unheard archive tracks imo. giving artists 60-120 minute slots to contribute something instead of just 1 track in a compilation was a much much much better way of sinking into all the different artists grooves and even found myself enjoying listening to the sets from artists i was less familiar with. have it all on my phone atm and plan on listening thru it all (maybe some of it as background music around the house...) so it's definitely too early to be voting on favourites. 

Ive heard very little of it so far, but I imagine I will download and listen to a fair chunk of it.

Would have been cool of them to play unheard Warp Works tracks other than the stuff off the CD. 

42 minutes ago, o00o said:

So that’s all? No store? No event? No vinyl? Did someone even go to that theater?

Supposedly this was the kickoff of a season of celebrations, and there will be events, products, and other stuff later this year. 

immediately voted for autechre in the poll out of instinctive fanboyism, then remembered I didn't actually listen to anything else.

SO MUCH AMAZING MUSIC YET TO DIGEST. Like ae's NTS Sessions on roids this is gonna take some time to process.

Mark P kicked it off with an incredible set.

Early Autechre is always appreciated. Hearing alt version of Crystel was amazing. Cheers mates.

Bibio's unreleased works are excellent and the Phantom Brickworks film was beautiful, haunting and trippy as.

Plaid's sets were fire. 

Tim Saccenti's mix was chillush.

Lorenzo Senni's unreleased works were superbly fun! Dude can use a JP8000.

BoC put together such a wonderful mixtape, full of surprises and a lot of new music to explore and unpack. Not at all disappointed that it wasn't a release of new/unheard music. Knowing a lot more about their influences makes me appreciate them even more. Such range and diversity of influence!

The supplementary material on the second stream also yielded fruitful surprises! 

What a treat! 

Squarepusher thing was the best bit I've heard so far, ae stuff was fine, Mark Pritchard's set was good too. boc tape had some good tunes and some lol moments. Still got a lot more of it to listen to, going to skip the Eno thing, that sounded awful. 

Old news but: Squarepusher was ace, BOC mix stood for everything they are, Special Request pulled an amazing tribute to LFO, Barbican version of Aisatsana was sweet and Field Day set I've seen 10 times in the past two years so it fell short. And apart from cool lasers, couldn't really get anything out of other half of Barbican set. Judging from the outside, AE won all the expectations with their sets and by eventually handing out the tapes for free. I tip my hat.

Like that other old fart beer badger, the only hype I could see was through watmm, so the hype machine didn't really have a chance to disturb me. Dunno how bad it was in the FB etc. Basically was positively surprised how warp panned the weekend although only listened to the sets from the artists I like so my chunk from the overall haul is undeniably weak.

I think the wheel must be turning but the hamster not there if you thought this was shite. What did you exactly envision? 

Could one of you 18% pipe up and explain exactly why this didn't meet your high and mighty expectations?

Archived