IGNORED

Supernormal Festival 2019 (2nd - 4th August)

Soloman Tump

The Oddball experiments arts and music festival is back in Oxfordshire for 2019, following a fallow year to recharge the batteries.

https://www.supernormalfestival.co.uk/

Plenty of exciting / unknown names in this list for me to discover.  Need to do some googling.  Did any else here get a ticket? It sold out in a couple of hours.

I sold my ticket to a friend and opted to Volunteer - had a blast doing it in 2017.  It was a feelgood thing being able to help out with this largely DIY venture.

Acid Cannibals

Ain Bailey

Air Loom

Akne

Alive with Cosmos - Sawdust Carpets

Alive with Cosmos - The Mighty Marsh - Mellow Cosmic Bodies

Ampersand

April Lin

April Lin: 'Reality Fragment 160921' (screening)

Baby Bolide Sonic Creche

BASIC DICKS

Beelzebub's Buggy

Blink

Blood Stereo

Bloody Head

BodyVice

BomiLito Korean Dokkaebi Mask making and Nanta workshop

Bug Prentice

Chloe Armatrading

Cocaine Piss

COPPER COIMS

Crumbling Ghost

Cucina Povera

Dälek

David Terry

Dead Neanderthals

Djinn

Down with the Patriarchy – Up with Orgasms

Drone Orchestra

Eothen Stearn and LADY NEPTUNE

Ewa Justka

FAKA

Gentle Stranger

GGAllan Partridge

Godspeed You Peter Andre

Golden Oriole

GOLDEN RATIO SOUND YOGA with AHRKH + Guests

Greta Pistaceci presents Stillness

Grrrl Zine workshop

GWENIFER RAYMOND

Handle

Handy Voices Signing Choir

Haq 123

Hen Ogledd

Henge

Horsebastard

In Transit

Jacken Elswyth

Jamie Bolland Plays Erik Satie

Jenny Moore’s Mystic Business

Jessica Ashman

Jessica Higgins

John Butcher

Jon Collin

Joy! Enthusiasm! Friendship! – Rose Dagul, Benji Jeffrey and Penny Klein

Kai Whiston

Kampire

Kei Patrick

Kinlaw & Franco Franco

Lia Mice

Lifeless Past

Loraine James

Louise Ashcroft

manonmars

Mark Vernon

Matthew Grigg, Joseph Kelly & Rebecca Sneddon

Mercuro-Chrome: Athlete of Joy / Athlete of Despair

Mésange

MoE

Morgan Quaintance: Anne, Richard and Paul (screening)

Morning Life Drawing

Ms Mohammed

Nick Harris

No Home

Nonhlanhla Makuyana – How To Be A Better Ally

Olivia Furey

Otim Alpha

Patricia Pisanelli

Pauline and the Matches

Petbrick (Big Lad)

Psychological Strategy Board

Qujaku

Rashad Becker

Remote Viewing

Renata Minoldo

Robert Shuttleworth

Roman Nose

Samiir Saunders

samOne samTwo

Sarah Kenchington

Saskia Horton

Screaming Toenail

Sealionwoman

Sexton Ming's Porridge Van

Shawandra Corbett

Simon Whetham

Snapped Ankles Log Synth Woodland Workshop

Social Instruments; Ocarina Making Workshop

Soft issues

Solar Chirpers

Speak Your Brains

Stanfield

Steve Davis & Kavus Torabi

Storyteller

Stucky

studiolalalanola: The Tale Of A Pretty Black Ass (screening)

Supernormal Super Sensory Summer School Species Screen

Sustainable Knits

Talking Nonsense With Kei Patrick

The Hat Lady

The Myco-Lounge

The Shadowlight Artists

The Slice Is Right

The Utopia Strong

The View From Behind The Futuristic Rose Trellis – Jive Bunny Remix

Three Sided Football

Tomoko Sauvage

Viridian

Wakeful: If I Sleep, I May Be Caught

Walker & Bromwich

Wheel of Fortune

WIDT

Winnie Herbstein

Yerba Mansa

YOU&TH

ZAD KOKAR

ZU

I saw this pop up on Twitter a little while ago, it’s hard to know what it’s all about really but nearby so tempted to volunteer myself. What were you doing? 

1 hour ago, tec said:

I saw this pop up on Twitter a little while ago, it’s hard to know what it’s all about really but nearby so tempted to volunteer myself. What were you doing? 

Hello!

I am down as stage support again, so will be helping load / unload between performances and whatever else the stage manager needs. Jobs / experiences last time involved:

Listening to each band once they are set up

Redeeming beer tokens for stage manager! And having my own beer tokens ?

Moving an entire drum kit from the forest back to the main stage (took 6 trips and killed a good hour of volunteer time!)

Eating free volunteer meals

Litter picking the stage area after performances

Tidying up cables

Setting up for the Saturday night DJs

Helping to carry Marcia Bassett's modular synths back to her room in the manor house (she seemed really friendly)

Hanging out will great people all weekend!

Being a general runner for whatever is needed and trying not getting in the way

Relaxing when nobody needs you - its not a "job" - I found this hard actually!

100% recommended ?

That does sound pretty sweet, had you previous experience of stage work? I might get on one of the merch stalls.

2 hours ago, tec said:

That does sound pretty sweet, had you previous experience of stage work? I might get on one of the merch stalls.

No not really, the sound guy was really relaxed (he said it was the easiest festival he works all year). We basically stood around chatting about DJing quite a bit, eating and drinking and occasionally having to move stuff around.  I learned a bit about proper cable rolling and tidying.  It is such a small capacity festival (around 2500 max I would say) with 5 maybe 6 stages so never feels massively crowded.

Merch tent was on my list as backup in case. I left some zines there last year, plan to do the same this year.  If you get on board, see you there!

Thanks for the heads up. I get paid on Monday so if they’re still available then I’ll be very tempted to get involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Immense weekend.  Always a great festival for discovering new things.  Got really pissed. Met loads of very talented (and funny) people.  Top lels.

Volunteering for it was very rewarding once again.  The site was a full set of cymbals down so had to keep running them between stages for quick soundchecks. In the spirit of DIY, it was fun.

Highlights included:-

Rashad Becker (!!!! Incredible. Felt like early autechre blended with field recordings and drones.  He was using a Continuum Fingerboard to create sliding metallic textures.  Unreal)

Mun Sing  (loud crunchy beats, vocal distortion, manic dancing, strobes and carnage.  Loved it.  Video from previous performance here -

Dead Neanderthals played a 30 minute continuous drumming / clarinet drone track before dropping the mic and walking off stage.  Power.

Qujaku were a 4 piece touring Japanese rock band that slayed it.

Otim Alpha were surprise fun act of the weekend - 2 African wedding singers

Pet Brick had the drummer from Sepultura and Wayne (Shitwife) bringing carnage. 

Also saw an Iron Maiden tribute band last night which were actually quite good.

Will update when I remember more....

Excellent, Ive been struggling for free time of late so wasn’t able to volunteer but will definitely do this next year, it looked great. Did Steve Davis do a set?!

5 hours ago, tec said:

Excellent, Ive been struggling for free time of late so wasn’t able to volunteer but will definitely do this next year, it looked great. Did Steve Davis do a set?!

He did his live modular thing as part of the utopia strong, as well as 2 DJ sets ?

Kavus did the same and was also in the Iron maiden tribute! Busy chaps all weekend and very nice to boot

8 hours ago, danshoebridge said:

Dropped down on the Sunday for this - good festival all round, will definitely try to sign up for the full weekend if it's on next year. Smaller festivals are the way forward I reckon.

This has been my thinking of late. Might sack off the stress of trying to get Glastonbury tickets and just go to two smaller festivals next year.

Supernormal is proper chilled.  At most 5 minutes walk across the entire site (including camping and car park), it feels like half the people there are either working at it or performing.

Shitmat was there as a volunteer as well ?

Met a couple of great people who I have lined up for future Snare/Rush interviews.

Definitely in the calendar for next year.  I believe Supersonic in Birmingham is a similar melting pot of weird music but being city centre you need a hotel so ££$$ goes up....

Archived