IGNORED

Anyone got an Ipad Pro and if so how do you rate its performance for apps etc?

TheBro

I have the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5” and it handles every app I’ve tried really well. I can send midi to multiple apps using Fugue Machine while doing multi-track recording in AUM with no performance issues. Still runs Samplr on iOS 13 too even though it hasn’t been updated in years 

FWIW a friend of mine tried to go the iPad Pro route and ended up switching back. Apps run fine and can be very good but *finishing* tracks is not something that comes easy with an iPad only workflow. The amount of plugins that are available is very limited so you can’t easily bring in extra functionality and passing around files from one app to another can be a pain.

It’s definitely possible to use it as your only workstation, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I use it more for travel or for apps that don’t really have PC counterparts, because they utilize the touchscreen. Also limiting yourself can increase creativity sometimes 

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

FWIW a friend of mine tried to go the iPad Pro route and ended up switching back. Apps run fine and can be very good but *finishing* tracks is not something that comes easy with an iPad only workflow. The amount of plugins that are available is very limited so you can’t easily bring in extra functionality and passing around files from one app to another can be a pain.

iPad OS 13 should alleviate some of these woes, and the fact you can finally use external storage, plus a mouse for input...

I've been thinking about getting one with the Apple Pencil and get back into doing artwork at long last... I was an illustrator before I made graphic design and then web development a career...

That price tho - ouch.

14 hours ago, Joyrex said:

iPad OS 13 should alleviate some of these woes, and the fact you can finally use external storage, plus a mouse for input...

I've been thinking about getting one with the Apple Pencil and get back into doing artwork at long last... I was an illustrator before I made graphic design and then web development a career...

That price tho - ouch.

Interesting so you can use external storage on the Ipad Pro with IOS 13. What exactly does that mean mate? Like using it for samples etc and apps too? I have an Ipad 9.7 (2017 model) and I've hit a wall with its performance for apps so hence my thread. Cheers.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:25 AM, TheBro said:

Interesting so you can use external storage on the Ipad Pro with IOS 13. What exactly does that mean mate? Like using it for samples etc and apps too?

You can use an external HDD/flash memory with it as long as you have either a lightning to USB female adaptor for your drive or if you have an iPad Pro with a USB-C port, a USB-C HDD/flash memory or appropriate adaptor. Might be a way to avoid the Apple Tax™ on their overpriced internal storage (FWIW 64 GB should be fine for general use).

Of course, you could also just save everything into iCloud or cloud storage of your choice if you have the space for your working files.

Also, I don't know if the external storage option is exclusive to the iPad Pro - regular iPads may be able to use it with iOS 13 as well.

Ebay has 20% off select electronics, and the 10.5" iPad Pro 256GB is only 391.20 with the discount applied:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-Pro-10-5-256GB-Space-Gray-Wi-Fi-MPDY2LL-A/122673366696

One (possibly) important thing to note - this has an A10x processor, not the current A12x Bionic, and is only compatible with the 1st Gen Apple Pencil. It also uses a Lighting port instead of the newer models' USB C.

Archived