IGNORED

Songs by Tramic

37 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Thanks!  I'm really happy with the bass on this one.  I kind of feel like I've cracked a code for that.  I’ve hit a pretty good stride lately where I’m recording 3-4 tracks a week. I’m finding that I like some stuff I’ve made after the fact more than in the moment, so I decided to just record whatever I have for the day. My main issue lately is getting caught up in technical experiments that don’t result in anything. I try to look at it as learning experience, but I’d rather learn while making something. I’m being to hard on myself, though. This is the most productive I’ve been…ever, maybe?  Thanks for listening.

Awesome that's great that you're feeling enthusiastic about your tunes man. Nice one!

• Like 1

most recent one: this sounds like it'd be fun to dance to, the way you've got that very mobile kick/bass combo, and the fast breaks that just come in for little bursts like patches of flowers. just enough time to do something expressive to...i've always been big on that family of synth sounds - the one that's doing the main riff in this track. and tasteful use of bitcrusher at the end! i feel like ppl often go way to ham on the bitcrush, but here it's subtle & nice

feb24th track: ooh another really lush lead synth. similar vibes to the previous track, but in a good way. i could listen to an entire liveset of stuff like this. the little blippy synth with the echo midway through! nice surprise.. good production all round.

1997: i hope that wasn't the year you were born or something. you would have joined watmm when you were 10....anyways, this track! i kinda want to hear what this one sounds like slowed down. i have a lot of tracks on my computer i pretty much exclusively listen to at 5/6th speed, 2/3rds speed, etc. I feel like this one would be pretty lush that way

clockworks: okay now this one has a different energy! i dunno, i think it might be my favourite out of these four. Hard to say. on the one hand the production is so much more straightforward here, but that synth is really interesting to my ears. i'm kinda into techno primitivism....ooh again at the midway point there's a real nice blippy/glidey synth that comes in

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cryptowen said:

most recent one: this sounds like it'd be fun to dance to, the way you've got that very mobile kick/bass combo, and the fast breaks that just come in for little bursts like patches of flowers. just enough time to do something expressive to...i've always been big on that family of synth sounds - the one that's doing the main riff in this track. and tasteful use of bitcrusher at the end! i feel like ppl often go way to ham on the bitcrush, but here it's subtle & nice

feb24th track: ooh another really lush lead synth. similar vibes to the previous track, but in a good way. i could listen to an entire liveset of stuff like this. the little blippy synth with the echo midway through! nice surprise.. good production all round.

1997: i hope that wasn't the year you were born or something. you would have joined watmm when you were 10....anyways, this track! i kinda want to hear what this one sounds like slowed down. i have a lot of tracks on my computer i pretty much exclusively listen to at 5/6th speed, 2/3rds speed, etc. I feel like this one would be pretty lush that way

clockworks: okay now this one has a different energy! i dunno, i think it might be my favourite out of these four. Hard to say. on the one hand the production is so much more straightforward here, but that synth is really interesting to my ears. i'm kinda into techno primitivism....ooh again at the midway point there's a real nice blippy/glidey synth that comes in

Thanks for listening!  Nah, I was in high school in 1997.  That was when Hard Normal Daddy came out, and I decided to lean into that direction once the track started going in that direction.  Clockworks started from an accidental patch in my eurorack sequencer.  Sometimes I spend forever on stuff, but that one started working right away.

1 hour ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Another WIP.  I'm really happy with the FM sound I was able to get from my Rubicon, but I'm just not sure what else to add to the track.  

Love those pads and that FM bassline lovely!!! Really really nice man!!! 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Another WIP.  I'm really happy with the FM sound I was able to get from my Rubicon, but I'm just not sure what else to add to the track.  

The FM sound is indeed lovey, this is the kind of thing I'd like to get out of FM, whereas I always seem to get stuck in cheesy 80's mode. If you're wondering how to take this forward, I'd suggest writing more melodies with the popcorn synth (the high pitched sort stabs) and at some point, muting the pads. Like, at 1:19, the pads could drop out and the little synth line could take the center stage, and then the pads come back in a little later, with the melody still repeating.

But if you want to keep it short and sweet, that's a perfectly valid route, and in that case I wouldn't change anything.

The delays and reverbs are well done and the fact that the claps get so much reverb is a nice touch.

• Like 2

I'm a fan of your sound design in general - it's deceptively simple. You've got all of these clean, unimposing tones which stand out distinctly from one another; and that works perfectly to highlight all the subtle movements you're doing with the effects & rhythmic variations. That part in the latest one where the beat drops out & it's just the echoy squarewave is lovely - something like that wouldn't really work in a "busier" song, demonstrating once again imo that capturing a vibe is more a matter of knowing what to leave out than what to put in.

good stuff

• Like 1

I spent a really long time on a track this week, and I still don't like it, haha.  Taking a break from that, I also did a separate quickie jam with the Rubicon and Spring reverb, which I thought was fun, so here's that instead:

Edited by BaggerMcGuirk
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:47 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

is the bass line the fm sound you're talking about? i think a sampled break here and there would fit in quite nice...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

This is that track I was spending a really long time on last week.  It basically ate up this week as well, lol:

Ha ha lots going on. Lovely baseline!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Getting the bassline to fit within all that(as well as it did, anyway) is what took most of my time.  Glad you liked it!

Yeah I can imagine you did an excellent job!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

This one is pretty basic, but I was happy with the overall sound of it.  

Nice little number. Not my favourite of yours but pretty deep. Good sound design throughout. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Finished up one of those WIP posted a while back: 

Love it man. Those pads are very 90s jungle as is the sub which is nice and deep and then you got that quirky acid line half way through!!! As my friend Yaw Noir would say 'Rollin'!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Fuck yeah! LTJ Bukem vibes until it goes straight Squarepusher at 1:30.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Great work! Nice chords, great beats. The mix is pretty much perfect as far as I can hear. That synth sound near the end is just delicious. Congrats on a great track!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

love the vibe and the energy you've got here. 

imo it needs development. ideally you'd build upon the existing material and come up with a bunch of contrasting sections with corresponding chord progressions. think synthacon 9 or last rushup 10. i'm not saying your tune needs to be as ambitious as those ones, i'm just using them as an example of how expanding an idea makes the whole difference. 

i'm not telling you anything you dont already know but that's the hardest part of composition anyway. anyone can come up with a catchy beat or melody, a nice chord progression etc. but expanding that material into something interesting and diverse is a different story.

• Thanks 1

I feel like there is some magic in being able to make a single melodic line work for an entire song, Maybe im just simple minded though. I really like the mix and sounds you used what do you use to make music ?

On an unrelated note how good are you guys at following a melody? Like follow if a note goes up or down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

but expanding that material into something interesting and diverse is a different story.

Couldn't agree more.  With some very rare exceptions, the "painting myself into a corner" feeling multiplies exponentially the further I get into a track.  Thx for the notes.

1 hour ago, Wunderbar said:

On an unrelated note how good are you guys at following a melody? Like follow if a note goes up or down.

I can tell when a note is going up or down, but identifying scales or chords is still beyond me for now.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:30 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Another draft.  I like parts of it, but I think I might just move on to something else.

This is a great track. Yes it's repetitive to an extent but I really enjoyed it! Great mix too.