IGNORED

We Are The Music Makers | Volume Two (PLANNING & DISCUSSION)

Joyrex

48 minutes ago, Hautlle said:

Format should be a cookie tin full of reel to reel tape (not on a spool, but all tangled up)

royal-dansk-danish-butter-cookies-16-oz-

LOL - Those are Mrs. Joyrex's favourite cookies! Reminds me I have to go get a tin from the store...

or wax cylinder

Holy shit lol but that poor bastard. 

Back OT - also like the interludes idea. Artwork could include user created stuffs. E.g., I know there are quite a few artists around here from the "post your most recent artwork" and "photo" threads that are pretty amazeballs, might be nice to showcase their work (as that's as part of the fabric of WATMM as poop and fart jokes). 

Also: some sort of wang activation device as a "stretch" goal

Edited by T3551ER
reason for lol was unclear d/t lame page break

9 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

I reckon:

- > 120 min release - so two discs? That means a potential vinyl release could end up as 3xLP...

- max run length per track of 6 mins ✔️

- max two tracks submitted, one track accepted per artist ✔️

- songs chosen by poll and number of tracks on release is based on when the run length is achieved ✔️

- you must vote to have your track accepted ✔️

- you can't vote for yourself ✔️

- blind poll so you can't be affected by what others are voting for - not sure about this; while I see the point about not wanting to influence voting, part of the fun would be to see what tracks are rising to the top... will have to weigh this one

- no restrictions on style ✔️

- run sequence for the release is randomised - I think part of the mastering/arranging effort should be to make sure the whole release has a good flow to it, especially if we include interludes between tracks, etc.

- track can't be from something that is already released ✔️

My comments/agreements above... these are all mostly great ideas!

19 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Back OT - also like the interludes idea. Artwork could include user created stuffs. E.g., I know there are quite a few artists around here from the "post your most recent artwork" and "photo" threads that are pretty amazeballs, might be nice to showcase their work (as that's as part of the fabric of WATMM as poop and fart jokes).

Yeah - if we did a format like a Digipak rather than just a slipcover like the original, I'd like to feature other WATMM talents in the design - maybe even have a sub-contest to design the cover art?

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Yeah - if we did a format like a Digipak rather than just a slipcover like the original, I'd like to feature other WATMM talents in the design - maybe even have a sub-contest to design the cover art?

Totally! Could do a vote and choose tops for cover art and then maybe a collage of other stuffs for inset? 

Also (this probs obvious): Voting (blind or not) is good but would recommend allowing people to rank their, say, top 10 or whatever. Otherwise you run the risk of like 4-5 tracks getting all the votes and then it's just an EP or what have you.  

1 hour ago, T3551ER said:

Totally! Could do a vote and choose tops for cover art and then maybe a collage of other stuffs for inset? 

Also (this probs obvious): Voting (blind or not) is good but would recommend allowing people to rank their, say, top 10 or whatever. Otherwise you run the risk of like 4-5 tracks getting all the votes and then it's just an EP or what have you.  

That's a good point - I'll see if we can set up the voting with a limited number of votes (say 5 or 10) and you assign them to all the entries you deem worthy of inclusion.

• Like 1

I like the theme idea. Maybe start with a cover first? Some emotions/creativity inducing imagery?

Look, I'm thinking about Duntisbourne Abbotts Soulmate Devastation Technique. Super strong image. Awesome. Something strong would help the creativity of our music creators... 

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, Wurstwasser said:

I like the theme idea. Maybe start with a cover first? Some emotions/creativity inducing imagery?

Look, I'm thinking about Duntisbourne Abbotts Soulmate Devastation Technique. Super strong image. Awesome. Something strong would help the creativity of our music creators... 

This is a great idea - while I'm not beholden to the idea, maybe something incorporating the WATMM logo into the visuals like the first did... might be too obvious and we need something different to shake things up.

20 minutes ago, mosca said:

I liek to create.

And hopefully we'll see something from you maet!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

How about a most IDM 2019 poll in order to determine the theme :cisfor:

We'd end up with a robot vac that makes pancakes or some shit like that on the cover then :dadjoke:

Just now, OneToThirtySix said:

How did that opportunity get past you?

Just stream of consciousness, etc.

Oh, and it's borger - get it right, eh? :dadjoke:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Claudius t Ansuulim said:

Aren’t cassettes pretty cheap to have done professionally?  A 120 min collection of tracks plus digitals on bandcamp sounds like a fairly inexpensive thing to pull off

I guess from a novelty perspective offering a cassette version would be an option... I myself really would like to see a vinyl version - just love the format. Not so much for listening though.

55 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

I guess from a novelty perspective offering a cassette version would be an option... I myself really would like to see a vinyl version - just love the format. Not so much for listening though.

So crowdsourced tiers once rough pricing has been hashed out?  Something like

Tier 1: Digitals

Tier 2: CD + Digitals

Tier 3: LP + CD + Digitals

Tier 4: LP + CD + Cassette + Digitals

Tier 5: 2LP + CD + Cassette + Digitals

Tier 6: 3LP + 2CD + Cassette + Digitals

On the LP pressing front Archer Record Pressing did a good job when I used them years ago and their pricing seemed to be the best I could find stateside at the time http://www.archerrecordpressing.com/

Edited by Claudius t Ansuulim
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, xox said:

so what are we waiting exactly?

As always, me - I've got some server-related issues I need help sorting out (and @very honest has generously offered his assistance - I just need to get him access), and I also need to move our storage to Wasabi so we have the space for all the wonderful tracks that will be submitted (hopefully).

Another aspect of this is getting the Pages module going so we have a page dedicated for the compilation, and a place users can submit their tracks, and a way for users to vote on them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

EEEEEEEEE this all looks so interesting! 

I can also submit, to both cover art and music! 

Neither my graphic nor audio skills are very good, but I would love to submit anyways!

And no matter what I would buy it. Especially if we were able to help finance a record. 

What are the plans for mastering? There are loads of affordable services that include reel tape transfers and other cool stuff. I even saw a service on fiverr that cuts the master tape into pieces so you could include a snippet in the first CD package batch.