Jump to content
Joyrex

We Are The Music Makers | Volume Two (PLANNING & DISCUSSION)

Recommended Posts

What are the plans for mastering? There are loads of affordable services that include reel tape transfers and other cool stuff. I even saw a service on fiverr that cuts the master tape into pieces so you could include a snippet in the first CD package batch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to submit a track, too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 12:26 AM, chim said:

What are the plans for mastering? There are loads of affordable services that include reel tape transfers and other cool stuff. I even saw a service on fiverr that cuts the master tape into pieces so you could include a snippet in the first CD package batch. 

Not sure what you mean by 'including a snippet in the first CD package batch'?

As for mastering plans, I do want this one to be professionally mastered (or at least done by someone who knows what they're doing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Not sure what you mean by 'including a snippet in the first CD package batch'?

As for mastering plans, I do want this one to be professionally mastered (or at least done by someone who knows what they're doing).

They send you the actual master TAPE.

You cut it into "X" pieces and each CD is bundled with a piece of the tape.  Cool nostalgic gift.

I tied up a few of my zines with tape from a cassette of mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

They send you the actual master TAPE.

You cut it into "X" pieces and each CD is bundled with a piece of the tape.  Cool nostalgic gift.

I tied up a few of my zines with tape from a cassette of mine.

They still use analogue tapes in the mastering process? I would think they would have phased that out for an all-digital workflow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

They still use analogue tapes in the mastering process? I would think they would have phased that out for an all-digital workflow...

Outboard gear is a priority for studios in their quest for the elusive Mojo™, usually through the subtle sweetening of tubes and transformers. Digital processes are mostly preferred for surgical fixes or loudness efforts. This doesn't necessarily involve any tape, that's just some icing on the cake in case it flatters the music. High tape speeds are cleaner than you'd expect - some super audiophile labels only release on reel tapes and even Lady Gaga opted for it on the Joanne album. I suspect there are more than a few here who like the sound... maybe not all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I'd want my master tape being chopped into pieces - goodbye future posterity.  But it does seem suitably IDM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we could just supply everyone with a random 2 second snippet.wav of the album as a bonus given our all digital workflow 

  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s gather tracks fist, then talk. Where to send?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still trying to get the storage issues for the forum in general sorted out - plus I've got a potentially big thing in the works if it comes to fruition that might delay this... but trust me, this is like Autechre AAA or Caustic Window Kickstarter levels. If it doesn't pan out then WATMM Volume 2 will be the priority.

Stay tuned!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Exai-ting

Think more Aphexual

  • Farnsworth 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Women are from Venus, Aphex is from ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds great, I am an animator and a designer and can make some T-shirt designs as well as video loops for insta or youtube or whatever you like to have as video promo material(think Weirdcore, or whatever). Pm me for details. And I do have a couple of tracks that suite this idea I hope you like em, will post them later.

Edited by Andon Hristov Seldt
give the druma soem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If my track get released will i be important like afx? Joyrex, make us important for once! Do the vinyl, tshirts and logo stamps all over London! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Women are from Venus, Aphex is from ....

Cornwall! Did I guess it? Did I? DID I? :yeah:

1 hour ago, xox said:

If my track get released will i be important like afx? Joyrex, make us important for once! Do the vinyl, tshirts and logo stamps all over London! 

We're gonna fly a WATMM blimp over London that will drop little strips of reel to reel tape... for the fans.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Cornwall! Did I guess it? Did I? DID I? :yeah:

Nope ... the answer was: Ireland 

Thanks for playing !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mcbpete said:

Nope ... the answer was: Ireland 

Thanks for playing !

womp womp

Pedant: he was born in Ireland, but was raised in Cornwall. Now lives in Scotland!

I wonder if he goes around for sugar at Hexagon Sun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll happily submit something too. Love watmm comps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i always liked the idea of having regular, official watmm compilations. i know it's a pain to organise, perhaps we could get a few people putting their hand up to help with the admin side of things. i know i'd be happy to master the whole thing if it helps!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a theme / genre in mind? Do we have to make IDM(TM)

 

 

Edited by Soloman Tump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Is there a theme / genre in mind? Do we have to make IDM(TM)

 

 

Bramble Core or Rake Bin only plz.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...