IGNORED

We Are The Music Makers | Volume Two (PLANNING & DISCUSSION)

Joyrex

1 hour ago, Polytrix said:

Yeah if it's like standard Idm I'd say I doubt i make that! 

I think as it's good, electronic-based music (music that would be considered in the electronic music genre) that would be fine, but hey - surprise us (once we provide the place to upload tracks for submission).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

Is it too late for me to submit something ?  I just noticed that this is happening.

1 hour ago, donquixote said:

If my musics not too shit id like in. i like this place. 

As the title of the thread indicates, this is only planning and discussion - we haven't officially started anything yet. When it is time, there will be plenty of announcements, etc. so you won't miss it!

• Like 4

What's the status of this ?  I'm already in the latter stages of a track that I'd like to submit.

Personally, I think a vinyl release is a bad idea.  It's prohibitively expensive, takes up too much space, and is a really big waste.  Also, the Flashbulb video that was posted recently points out the toxicity of the medium.  So we would just be delaying the project for something that needlessly pollutes the world and our own bodies.

Also, as far as the voting goes, I think the status of the poll should be invisible to people who haven't voted yet.  But also, we would need to wait until every track has been submitted until we start the poll, or else the submissions that come in later won't really have a chance.  So the rule about voting in order to submit would need to be either removed or altered in accordance with that.

Also, I'd be happy to help with the artwork as far as I can.

Edited by drillkicker

3 hours ago, drillkicker said:

What's the status of this ?  I'm already in the latter stages of a track that I'd like to submit.

Personally, I think a vinyl release is a bad idea.  It's prohibitively expensive, takes up too much space, and is a really big waste.  Also, the Flashbulb video that was posted recently points out the toxicity of the medium.  So we would just be delaying the project for something that needlessly pollutes the world and our own bodies.

Also, as far as the voting goes, I think the status of the poll should be invisible to people who haven't voted yet.  But also, we would need to wait until every track has been submitted until we start the poll, or else the submissions that come in later won't really have a chance.  So the rule about voting in order to submit would need to be either removed or altered in accordance with that.

Also, I'd be happy to help with the artwork as far as I can.

In short, the status is it has not started yet (hence this thread to collect all the ideas and suggestions beforehand) - trying to carve out the time to work on the logistics of setting this up. But, to address your comments and concerns:

• RE: Vinyl Version - this would be independent of the actual release, likely on CD - think of it as like a Kickstarter where if x people pledge support for a vinyl version, we'll do one - if not, then no worries. Other than the artwork being formatted for the vinyl sleeve and labels, I don't think much on the mastering side would need to be done (do releases need to get mastered differently for vinyl vs CD?)
  • RE: Voting - the first compilation's voting didn't happen until all tracks were submitted (we had a formal call for entries and no tracks were available for listening until voting commenced), and most likely the voting module here on the forum will be what we use where users won't be able to see the votes until they cast their own vote(s). I'm thinking whether we should allow a "top 3 tracks" voting option, or just one vote per person.

Artwork - thanks! I think we will either contract with an artist to do something, or perhaps even have a mini contest for the artwork/design as well so those of us who are not musically inclined can participate as well. 

Sounds good.  Audio does need to be mastered differently for vinyl, which would bring the cost up, as well as the time that it takes.  It would probably be at least $1500 for a small vinyl release, probably more like $2000 for a double LP.  I guess there would be the question of whether the digital release should be delayed to wait for the vinyl to be done or could the vinyl release happen after the digital.

19 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Sounds good.  Audio does need to be mastered differently for vinyl, which would bring the cost up, as well as the time that it takes.  It would probably be at least $1500 for a small vinyl release, probably more like $2000 for a double LP.  I guess there would be the question of whether the digital release should be delayed to wait for the vinyl to be done or could the vinyl release happen after the digital.

No; digital release would be simultaneous with physical CD release.

19 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I smell a kickstarter campaign.

Yes, most likely, although if we can do it through WATMM, we could save $$$ and not give Kickstarter a cut

19 hours ago, xox said:

Im glad it’s been delayed bc i expect my mixes improve until 2027! ? 

Well, I would hope it will happen before then! (and presumably your mixes will have improved before then as well)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Yes, most likely, although if we can do it through WATMM, we could save $$$ and not give Kickstarter a cut.

If I remember correctly, indiegogo doesn’t keep a cut of the funds that are raised using their platform. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

If I remember correctly, indiegogo doesn’t keep a cut of the funds that are raised using their platform. 

Good to know, thanks!

I don't mind using Kickstarter per se (it worked well with the Caustic Window LP) as it may give our little compilation a bit more exposure and credibility than if it was strictly an internal affair...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We're all old now, right? Like RDJ and Squarpusher are now old, and they're still doing crazy mad intense music, which really seems like it should be the job of young people who are off the faces but they are showing that you can be an old person, possibly wearing sensible comfortable shoes, and maybe you've got a mortgage, but you can still slice up breakbeats. And WATMM is like over 20 years old now, we must all be pushing 50 soon? So surely there's a theme there. Old people doing electronic music that they could never conceivably dance to without doing an injury to their backs. Or some sort of mid-life crisis theme?

I'm serious.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zazen said:

We're all old now, right? Like RDJ and Squarpusher are now old, and they're still doing crazy mad intense music, which really seems like it should be the job of young people who are off the faces but they are showing that you can be an old person, possibly wearing sensible comfortable shoes, and maybe you've got a mortgage, but you can still slice up breakbeats. And WATMM is like over 20 years old now, we must all be pushing 50 soon? So surely there's a theme there. Old people doing electronic music that they could never conceivably dance to without doing an injury to their backs. Or some sort of mid-life crisis theme?

I'm serious.

People on the aphex subforum have benn calling his new material "dad funk"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zazen said:

I'm serious.

We Are The Music Makers | AARP Special Edition

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...