IGNORED

Folk Horror films and novels

Atop

Wake In Fright, the Australian psych-weird foray into booze, dust, screaming heat & fucked up locals, might fit in this category by corollary. It’s a bit like Straw Dogs in that humans are the real threat, no ghosts or goblins, but it has a sense of unease that’s very rare & Donald Pleasence rrrrrrocks.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, cwmbrancity said:

Wake In Fright, the Australian psych-weird foray into booze, dust, screaming heat & fucked up locals, might fit in this category by corollary. It’s a bit like Straw Dogs in that humans are the real threat, no ghosts or goblins, but it has a sense of unease that’s very rare & Donald Pleasence rrrrrrocks.

spacer.png

Worth pointing out that there’s a scene in this where they go out shooting kangaroos at night and it is fucking brutal. Wish I had been warned.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tec said:

Worth pointing out that there’s a scene in this where they go out shooting kangaroos at night and it is fucking brutal. Wish I had been warned.

Yeah, it's a brilliant film, but *that scene* is surely sth i never want to see again. worth pointing out though that it's actually documentary footage the film crew shot when hanging out with the locals, not something that was staged for the film. seems to be the australian way of spending your evening.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, tec said:

Kinda forgot, oops

spacer.png

Not in the same class as Wake in Fright but Oz-related w/similar tropes, Razorback came to mind. Haven't watched since the early 90's, but memories of dust, wild animals, Aussie twangs & w/zero kangaroo slaughter (but the hogs are off the scale):

spacer.png

• Like 1

I watched it a few years ago so not blaming you, if I’d watched it on your recommendation you’d have a red hot inbox. It’s actually a good film but those scenes really do tarnish everything that comes before and after, fucking hell.

Anyway. Has anyone seen Children of the Stones?

Edited by tec

On 7/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, beer badger said:

I watched The Ritual the other week, it was a tedious ritual watching it tbh

Avoid

ah come on, it's not all bad. first half is quite decent; the ending admittedly sucks though. still i kinda liked the god-creature.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:32 AM, tec said:

Blood on Satan’s Claw and Robin Redbreast are both essential.

thx for the Robin Redbreast recommendation, that's a good one.

check out PENDA'S FEN while you're at it (not exactly horror, but one of the best things the BBC ever produced imho)

also skolimowski's THE SHOUT - surely the only one on the list that also has an electronic music composer protagonist :sorcerer::aphexsign:

MESSIAH OF EVIL is also great if you're willing to include the american backwood cultist horror subsubgenre

Apprentice to murder is a movie I saw when I was a kid and it was my introduction to this genre. Kid me would say it was great, although adult me watching the trailer would say that it looks really bad.

For elitist, purist leanings & commitment to that single, most honourable of causes, Hour of the Wolf.

Family out, work done so dog walk & joint, then filem, might even have 2fingers of rye. 

Found this book recently and I think it looks interesting enough to warrant a mention on this thread.

Also, for my own personal music projects, I have been inspired by the River Thames which flows nearby.  Field recordings, place names and curiosities along its path.

Have been dipping into local Oxfordshire folklore a tad, and when my upcoming album eventually surfaces, it will be themed around such things as The Blowing Stone, Waylands Smithy and Wychwood Forest.  Fun times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Waylands Smithy is the tits. Every fkr goes to Avebury, West Kennet & Silbury, but over the county border is a quiet behemoth.

intriguing piece on local but not the local-shop kind of local legend Arthur Machen, available via the website:

spacer.png

https://www.threeimpostors.co.uk/

Weren't the L.o.G. on the folk horror wavelength?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

51zvxLur6NL.jpg

When I was a kid, these books were fucking incredible to me. Stephen Gammell, the illustrator is a fuckin boss. For a few summers, I'd stay in a cabin in Maine for a couple weeks and the setting made the books way scarier. 

I know there's a movie coming out based on these, but I don't have the highest hopes or anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those Stephen Gammell illustrations were a mainline to the uncanny. Way scarier than the stories themselves as I recall, the source of many a childhood shiver.

Agreed with LoG as being in the folk-horror ballpark.

Also check out The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley, it's a cracking recent folk-horror novel, would strongly recommend it.

Edited by Leon Sumbitches
  • Like 1