IGNORED

AFX visions, interpretations and descriptions general

Dragon

Brisbot, you should make a thread about it. I'll help you with the title: "Simpsons visions, interpretations and descriptions general".

Also, I don't think I can remember my first Aphex record. I believe it started with the "In Order to Dance 4" compilation. It has Digerdidoo and Analogue Bubblebat on it. Good tracks. But there plenty more good tracks on that comp, so I didn't immediately considered them standout, or anything like that. But they did have their own personality, which I'd liked. The real love started with the Classics compilation shortly after. Loved those metallic sounds with some melodies sprinkled on top. Beats were great as well. And polynomial-c was basically on repeat for a while. Must've been 94 or 93, I guess.

/nostalgia

6 hours ago, goDel said:

Brisbot, you should make a thread about it. I'll help you with the title: "Simpsons visions, interpretations and descriptions general".

Lol I'll do it, but remember it was your idea that I stole.

I'm rewatching futurama currently, just the story episodes really. It's probably from seeing farnsworths face every time I log into watmm.

• 5 weeks later...

What exactly was so wrong with this thread that it got this reaction?

As for interpretations or whatever, I've got a pretty strong idea of what the story of vordhosbn is to me at least (I've only really been a fan for a year and a half though so this will probably change), but I see the drum pattern(s) as some sort of destructive force, like the hi hats build up to a higher point (in terms of pitch) and then drop into a kick, like a bomb dropped from a plane. At  0:51 that synth that comes in seems to be warning against that destructive behavior or whatever, and at 1:13 it all goes wrong / too far, you can hear the hihats go even higher than before and create more or an explosion in the bass than before. After that point the synths freak out over what's happened, and at 1:36 the drum pattern starts to backtrack, undoing the mess it created until the synths are calm again, but then starts down the same path again at 1:58. The destructive force builds up again (sort of under the radar, not being too destructive) until 3:28 when it starts to layer on and the kick properly kicks in again, and it takes until 3:50 for the synths to "realize" this and start telling it to stop (or something to that effect).

I realize some people really don't like individual interpretations like this, as of course it's never going to be exactly what RDJ had in mind while making these tracks, but I think it at least shows just how good he is at creating such a detailed emotional reaction in people with what is fairly abstract music

I always interpreted vordhosb as some ginga dude that just snorted a huge line of dpt or some other extreme fucked up drug shit.
It starts with uh oh, i fucked it up now. then bam! No way back, say farewell to your sanity and ego and enjoy the ride to eternal alien hellfuck you wanker.
I tought it was obvious

• 2 months later...

just woke up - had the weirdest dream. i accidently took a tape walkman to school, and remembered today was my last day there and i didn't have any plans. so i go through reception and try to arrange to do a college course in the new year - just anything - when my favourite teacher comes in.

Mt Saint Micheal is playing on a boombox in a small room. i'm trying to make a good impression... but that heavy flicker ending comes in, and i remember at once there is something embarrassing about this track, i try to turn it off... too late! the soft vocal clearly says the words "Red Rum" right at the end. everyone notices it.

just now i tried opening the track in audacity to see if this thing is real, tried isolating the stereo difference etc. i'll keep you posted.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:45 AM, Adamovich said:

there was an expression for this kind of people and threads

Hide contents

boc subforum is that way ---->

Aphex and BOC collab imminent.

(That would make them wet)

it's impossible to imagine the kinds of Come To Daddy/Donkey Rhubarb sillyness being adopted by BoC for any length of time, given their seriousness. even tracks like Roygbiv and Aquarius have a kind of hollow bleakness underneath, just not the same approach at all as cynical as that sounds from me.

maybe if they got together and did something like the trapped remix? midas touch, soylent night, the kinds of collabs they did on SKAM. it's the only kind of mood i could see working. could you imagine aphex sitting down to a multitrack demo of Jaquard Causeway and thinking "yeah, that's dead bleak, i wanna do something with this."

18 minutes ago, Dragon said:

it's impossible to imagine the kinds of Come To Daddy/Donkey Rhubarb sillyness being adopted by BoC for any length of time, given their seriousness. even tracks like Roygbiv and Aquarius have a kind of hollow bleakness underneath, just not the same approach at all as cynical as that sounds from me.

maybe if they got together and did something like the trapped remix? midas touch, soylent night, the kinds of collabs they did on SKAM. it's the only kind of mood i could see working. could you imagine aphex sitting down to a multitrack demo of Jaquard Causeway and thinking "yeah, that's dead bleak, i wanna do something with this."

Lol. He's probably add a gabber beat and totally ruin it as a joke. 

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with the boc subforum?

And what's wrong with these kinds of threads? I'm still waiting for an answer since you all clearly think it's stupid /cringey or whatever.

6 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

It is cringey because the narcissism required to actually believe that someone else would be genuinely interested in hearing about someone else's aphex induced  visual brainfarts almost rivals that of the great ginger himself 

I don't think it's narcissism? I only post my interpretation and read other in the hopes that other people may have a similar interpretation to mine, which in theory would help figure out what the music is really "about", because if you only have your own interpretation there's so much to be misinterpreted because of who you are.

At least if you find what's common between yours and other peoples you have a better chance of finding out what the real intention was because you can discard parts that are you just projecting yourself onto it.

I get that that's probably dumb because we'll never truly know what the intention of people like afx is, but I enjoy trying to figure it out, even if it's futile.

Or maybe I am a narcissist and I wrote that so that other people would be oh so impressed with my super intelligent opinion on another persons music

16 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

It is cringey because the narcissism required to actually believe that someone else would be genuinely interested in hearing about someone else's aphex induced  visual brainfarts almost rivals that of the great ginger himself 

this is a complete misunderstanding of this thread and most of the watmm forums. having a meaningful experience with a piece of music and then telling someone about it is not "narcissism". seriously i don't even know where to begin.

I'm OK with threads like these, but tbh I've never had the slightest urge to find some deeper meaning of music or interpret them. Nor do I understand why I should even try. Maybe I don't even have an iota of imagination to begin with. I just blast the shit out of stuff I like and if I'm cracy wild, maybe nod my head slightly. Not meaning to be a dick here so have your fun guys. Great if you can squeeze some extra juice from music in threads like these.

1 hour ago, Uros said:

I'm OK with threads like these, but tbh I've never had the slightest urge to find some deeper meaning of music or interpret them. Nor do I understand why I should even try. Maybe I don't even have an iota of imagination to begin with. I just blast the shit out of stuff I like and if I'm cracy wild, maybe nod my head slightly. Not meaning to be a dick here so have your fun guys. Great if you can squeeze some extra juice from music in threads like these.

In my experience, is not something you choose or try 

6 hours ago, Lachesi said:

In my experience, is not something you choose or try 

What do you mean by this?

7 hours ago, Uros said:

Yeah I'm like this with most music too. I just get a bit obsessive over this stuff sometimes, probably because the rest of my life is too boring ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: and another thing, rdj said that the tracks on drukqs are about real world events, so I figure it'd be fun to try and figure out what these real world events are just from the music. This probably applies to a lot of his other music too.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, vkxwz said:

What's wrong with the boc subforum?

And what's wrong with these kinds of threads? I'm still waiting for an answer since you all clearly think it's stupid /cringey or whatever.

That's watmm inside joke. Boc subforum used to be filled with threads where people were too much emotional/sensitive about Boc tracks and were posting idiotic stories about experiences while listening to them. I'm not telling that you are not allowed to experience/feel about music of whoever, but keep that in mind that your posts can be interpreted in many different ways, not only the way you want.

Archived