IGNORED

Aphex collaboration imminent

____-_-____

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Just to be clear on The Badger:

I didn't make the photo, have no clue as to where it originated, etc. - I just ran with it as a joke since it could have possibly materialized into something real...

You also have to appreciate that plans can and do quite often change - sometimes due to silly things, sometimes due to more complicated issues we as fans are not privy to. All we can do is take things with a grain of salt, see where things go and what happens (if anything), and be happy when it turns out to be true.

I already know all that, I just like mentioning the Badger thing when I can. Because of how weird that whole thing was in hindsight.

Just now, Brisbot said:

I already know all that, I just like mentioning the Badger thing when I can. Because of how weird that whole thing was in hindsight.

Ah, okay - yeah, it was really weird - why someone would go through that much trouble to fake something (either by creating something like that or photoshopping it together)...

6 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Ah, okay - yeah, it was really weird - why someone would go through that much trouble to fake something (either by creating something like that or photoshopping it together)...

I never asked before but I remember you saying that "someone had already guessed what it was" really  far into the thread. I guess you were just kidding?

i always figured it was just someone who had been tagging and threw some random shit togeter on a table. maybe showing how to surreptitiously tag. pizza box for the stencil. you could even have the bottom of the pizza box be the stencil. ? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

the badger photo came out at the same time as the tagging around syro release was going on

Just now, Brisbot said:

I never asked before but I remember you saying that "someone had already guessed what it was" really  far into the thread. I guess you were just kidding?

No; that was real (and I guess enough time has passed I can mention it)...

Richard had reached out to me about giving away (via an online contest on the site) some of his extra gear - he had loads of extra equipment that was cluttering up his home, and needed to get rid of it, and couldn't go through the hassle of selling it off on eBay, etc. and thought it would be good to go to people that could use it - e.g., budding musicians like yourselves. He suggested perhaps some contest or essay on how you would use the equipment to best use, and then gift it to the ones he felt best articulated that.

Unfortunately, that fell through, and not much more was said about it - I think he ended up hiring someone to help him with it all in the end, but I'm not sure - haven't heard from him in ages.

So now you know!

RE: Badger - what really puzzles me is it looks like the back of shrink-wrapped vinyl LP, with bar code and WARP logo. It also is a professionally-printed image, from an offset printing press unless there is a Photoshop filter or technique to create morie patterns on images.

Just now, Joyrex said:

Richard had reached out to me about giving away (via an online contest on the site) some of his extra gear - he had loads of extra equipment that was cluttering up his home, and needed to get rid of it, and couldn't go through the hassle of selling it off on eBay, etc. and thought it would be good to go to people that could use it - e.g., budding musicians like yourselves. He suggested perhaps some contest or essay on how you would use the equipment to best use, and then gift it to the ones he felt best articulated that.

Unfortunately, that fell through, and not much more was said about it - I think he ended up hiring someone to help him with it all in the end, but I'm not sure - haven't heard from him in ages.

So now you know!

RE: Badger - what really puzzles me is it looks like the back of shrink-wrapped vinyl LP, with bar code and WARP logo. It also is a professionally-printed image, from an offset printing press unless there is a Photoshop filter or technique to create morie patterns on images.

Woah that's awesome he even suggested it.

5 minutes ago, very honest said:

i always figured it was just someone who had been tagging and threw some random shit togeter on a table. maybe showing how to surreptitiously tag. pizza box for the stencil. you could even have the bottom of the pizza box be the stencil. ?

spacer.png

spacer.png

the badger photo came out at the same time as the tagging around syro release was going on

Haha, I was just about to ask if anyone had the badger pic

Thanks very honest:)

M4BfkIJ.thumb.jpg.ea53a8e17e9dc138b19b3bbd2b00031e.jpg

I assumed the badger design was an older version of the syro artwork. An earlier version that didn't make the cut, or something. Because Richie rather wanted his shopping list printed on the cover, instead of a dead animal. ?

7 hours ago, goDel said:

I assumed the badger design was an older version of the syro artwork. An earlier version that didn't make the cut, or something. Because Richie rather wanted his shopping list printed on the cover, instead of a dead animal. ?

Well you know what they say about assuming.... it turns people into donkeys.

12 minutes ago, ignatius said:
eleventeen motnhs latr...
im·mi·nent
/ˈimənənt/
adjective

1. 1. 
    about to happen.
    "they were in imminent danger of being swept away"

As far as I'm concerned this thread has singlehandedly changed its definition. Now it means:

1. Far away. Intangible. Never going to be a thing, ever.

"My dad's return from the store he went to for milk over two years ago is imminent."

10 hours ago, Joyrex said:

It also is a professionally-printed image, from an offset printing press unless there is a Photoshop filter or technique to create moire patterns on images.

Filter › Pixelize › Color Halftone, then resize or slightly rotate with nearest neighbor as interpolation preference.

3 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Well you know what they say about assuming.... it turns people into donkeys.

I'd like to question the causal nature of that statement

* shoves hoof into the ground* 

17 hours ago, Joyrex said:

That shrink wrap is definitely just a layer slapped over the top in Photoshop as opposed to being a physical thing.

17 hours ago, Joyrex said:

So now you know!

Damn, that wouldve been a great competition..i wonder what kind of gear would be considered cluttering up his house..

I imagine he kept multiples of some of the smaller things in case he needed parts or one crapped out on him; he never detailed what he was planning on giving away, just that he had a lot to get rid of and thought this would be a fun way to do so.

That contest would have been surreal!
Would make for a killer Hoarders episode too. Richard, looking to change his uncontrollable GAS syndrome, is forced to part with his beloved devices and hand them over to the rabid fanbase who are constantly trying to cop his style. Watch as Rich comes to terms giving up his obsession of collecting and rinsing kit only to realize that his real mission in life is in the mines of Cornwall like his father before him. 

Its really funny.  I check this site periodically as the trolldacity (trollish audacity?) is kind of sort of fun.  But there is just perpetual imminence.  I get that it makes sense for Joyrex to play into it a bit, keep everyone refreshing their browser.  Its very cool that joyrex admitted he doesn't actually know whats going on with the imminent immenence though.  This site really has changed what imminence means.  

As far as I'm concerned this thread has singlehandedly changed its definition. Now it means:

1. Far away. Intangible. Never going to be a thing, ever.

"My dad's return from the store he went to for milk over two years ago is imminent."

Archived