IGNORED

WATMM is dying

hello spiral

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, lickneonlights said:

In the screenshot the graph notably declines towards the end, which is what spi's talking about, I guess? ?

Funny to see a spike in August 2018 – could be due to the Collapse EP release and discussion? It was hot, as far as I can remember. Bring back dem dayz

Edit: nvm, just noticed it says "Users", not views, so not sure what to make of Ifit

If I recall correctly, WATMM was mentioned in the Guardian around that time. For that Blender file that "collapses" image files.

14 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Care to expand on that? The Content Streams feature should be able to give you a customized experience that should meet most people's needs...

Prior to the update "my content" automatically displayed any thread I'd posted in any time there was a new reply.  The content stream just shows me threads i started, of which there aren't many.  Or literally every thread that's been updated (which is vast and overwhelming, though perhaps not today if this thread is to be believed).  Before it was just so convenient to check in on the threads I'd been participating in.  I'm sure the activity streams work great for some, but I'm not really a "customizer".

14 minutes ago, Asmodeus88 said:

Also this default username reset. Jeez, I feel like someone publicly put my pants down...

Of course yes I know I will pay then I will change it back but cba tbh...

Just PM me and I can easily change your username. The forum upgrade doing that wasn't your fault and I don't expect anyone to pay for a mistake...

2 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Prior to the update "my content" automatically displayed any thread I'd posted in any time there was a new reply.  The content stream just shows me threads i started, of which there aren't many.  Or literally every thread that's been updated (which is vast and overwhelming, though perhaps not today if this thread is to be believed).  Before it was just so convenient to check in on the threads I'd been participating in.  I'm sure the activity streams work great for some, but I'm not really a "customizer".

There already is a default setting for that:

image.png

23 minutes ago, lickneonlights said:

In the screenshot the graph notably declines towards the end, which is what spi's talking about, I guess? ?

Funny to see a spike in August 2018 – could be due to the Collapse EP release and discussion? It was hot, as far as I can remember. Bring back dem dayz

Edit: nvm, just noticed it says "Users", not views, so not sure what to make of it

Here's pageviews vs users for that time period:

image.png

What was happening the week of 5 August?

I need a WATMMlytics™ manager/expert on the team! :lol:

5 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Here's pageviews vs users for that time period:

image.png

What was happening the week of 5 August?

I need a WATMMlytics™ manager/expert on the team! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Braintree said:

If I recall correctly, WATMM was mentioned in the Guardian around that time. For that Blender file that "collapses" image files.

14 minutes ago, Joyrex said:
18 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

There already is a default setting for that:

image.png

thx ?

Maybe folks enter the realm of watmm out of curiosity and think we have all sold our souls to the Devil

I do remember once a few newbies calling out a few of us (including me and you Hello Spiral) as a blood lusting tribe. Honestly I think that person may have a point. Sometimes I think of applying a little Radio Silence, but I have a few drinks and my toes and then fingers start tapping.

We need new Watmm Scouts!

Just now, beer badger said:

Maybe folks enter the realm of watmm out of curiosity and think we have all sold our souls to the Devil

I do remember once a few newbies calling out a few of us (including me and you Hello Spiral) as a blood lusting tribe. Honestly I think that person may have a point. Sometimes I think of applying a little Radio Silence, but I have a few drinks and my toes and then fingers start tapping.

We need new Watmm Scouts!

While I would love seeing an influx of new users, my only concern would be with that influx would come the trolls... and I don't feel WATMM is 'toxic' as some are perceiving it to be - granted, perception is reality when it comes to people's viewpoints...

So a spike corresponds to a mention in a big media because of a content that was associated with a new release from Aphex Twin. Hence Aphex Twin is a driving force of WATMM, solved. Richard just needs to release music more often to make WATMM great again.

Huh, didn't know WATMM was now paid subscription. 

Anyway, personally, not sure that opening up the floodgates to allow non-paid subscribers to post would really invite that many trolls - but I'm also not sure it really would boost the userbase either. The focal point of WATMM is kind of a niche thing - but isn't that kind of the charm/why we all ended up here? Not sure if there are a ton of Aphex/[]</braindance/etc. fans out there who are internally perseverating about whether or not to pay the fee to post here. ...

Dunno. Feel like this place definitely goes through cycles of engagement, but that's sorta natural for any online community. Though lickneonlights is also correct in that the best way to boost enrollment is to insist that Aphex release new music EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH :emotawesomepm9:

I've lurked here many years before signing up and I've always felt at home with the netheads around. It's not supposed to be something that is "great again", in my opinion it's a home for good music, mild gear talk and fun threads. Everyone goes a little overboard wearing their nimbus into internet street cred territory but honestly, who gives a shit. There's loads of kind strangers around, and plenty of time to goof off and be yourself.

A few weeks back I was chilling on my couch looking at the local Jungle thread, discovering loads of great tracks that I'll be listening to for years. In my head I was imagining a room with all our avatars in it, passing around tracks like a joint around a campfire. Made me smile, that, because it's such a surreal thing to experience. I think my point is that there's no other place like it, and that we might as well enjoy it, because the world is strange and fucked up enough as it is. 

Writing this I am well aware it's too big a thought for this thread but, like I said, I'm just being myself:sorcerer: sparkle sparkle

6 minutes ago, chronical said:

A few weeks back I was chilling on my couch looking at the local Jungle thread, discovering loads of great tracks that I'll be listening to for years. In my head I was imagining a room with all our avatars in it, passing around tracks like a joint around a campfire. Made me smile, that, because it's such a surreal thing to experience. I think my point is that there's no other place like it, and that we might as well enjoy it, because the world is strange and fucked up enough as it is. 

Writing this I am well aware it's too big a thought for this thread but, like I said, I'm just being myself:sorcerer: sparkle sparkle

:  )

in general ive been using watmm more than average on the past year or so, and getting a lot out of the discussions here. my posts in the new releases thread dont tend to get many responses, but hey ill keep posting anyway. maybe im the exception but i prefer this pace of watmm to a deluge of content.  and when ae put out nts the vibe was amazing and already too much to keep up with.  so keep it up is all. :beer:

I've been here seven years now and it's all a blur to me. All I know is that this place puts XLTronic to shame by a long shot (is it still alive?) and Ae updates & Dank Memes are the candies that keep me coming back.

Archived