IGNORED

WATMM is dying

hello spiral

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

I've been here seven years now and it's all a blur to me. All I know is that this place puts XLTronic to shame by a long shot (is it still alive?) and Ae updates & Dank Memes are the candies that keep me coming back.

xltronic is like reddit but worse

5 minutes ago, chronical said:

xltronic is like reddit but worse

And honestly, that's what opening it to all I fear would shift it towards to - I don't want it to be like Reddit, and certainly not like our evil stepsister site :dadjoke:

I still think the website on mobile is a lot worse than Tapatalk ever was (somehow), and I did a lot of posting on my phone during commute or lunch breaks and whatnot. Now I pretty much only go on it on my computer at home. Still more active than any other electronic music community I've ever joined, so whatever.

5 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

I still think the website on mobile is a lot worse than Tapatalk ever was (somehow), and I did a lot of posting on my phone during commute or lunch breaks and whatnot. Now I pretty much only go on it on my computer at home. Still more active than any other electronic music community I've ever joined, so whatever.

You do know we restored access to Tapatalk, right? I'm personally not a fan, but for those who like the Tapatalk experience, it's there.

Also, what skin are you using? I've made improvements to WATMM Classic on mobile, so you might try that (or one of the other skins).

Not to derail this lovely thread about the site dying, but what about the mobile experience do you find "a lot worse" than before or versus Tapatalk?

Just now, Joyrex said:

You do know we restored access to Tapatalk, right? I'm personally not a fan, but for those who like the Tapatalk experience, it's there.

Also, what skin are you using? I've made improvements to WATMM Classic on mobile, so you might try that (or one of the other skins).

Not to derail this lovely thread about the site dying, but what about the mobile experience do you find "a lot worse" than before or versus Tapatalk?

Oh really? I'll check that out then!

I've been using the dark mode because anything brighter than that blows my corneas to smithereens, but I'll give the others a try.

My biggest issue is that it entails a lot of extra button-pressing and page loading compared to Tapatalk. Also that my big fat IDM thumbs will try to hit the little "first unread" dots next to topics and half the time I'll end up just hitting the title by accident. But Tapatalk is still cancer so I'll give the other skins a shot first. 

@hello spiral you want a direct answer?

if yourself & various other cocknoscientis weren't such a punnet of clenched assholes, capable of taking on an actual debate w/out recourse to chatroom (as Sir Ben Kingsley so eloquently put it in Sexy Beast) innsinuendos & the kind of bs you might expect in an episode of The Real Housewives or a sorority house club, canoodling like gimps doing god knows what to each other cos every cult within a cult needs extra discipline & punishments encoded into it to survive, then the world might open up to your self-imposed cultural imperialism.

maaan i had some time for you, The Deep End is the shit and i'll link it up here so cunts can get an earful, but you're the epitome of an office bitch. Grow up, old man, or fuck off & sip Champagne, makes no difference.

https://salaamhelicoid.bandcamp.com/track/the-deep-end

13 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

@hello spiral you want a direct answer?

if yourself & various other cocknoscientis weren't such a punnet of clenched assholes, capable of taking on an actual debate w/out recourse to chatroom (as Sir Ben Kingsley so eloquently put it in Sexy Beast) innsinuendos & the kind of bs you might expect in an episode of The Real Housewives or a sorority house club, canoodling like gimps doing god knows what to each other cos every cult within a cult needs extra discipline & punishments encoded into it to survive, then the world might open up to your self-imposed cultural imperialism.

maaan i had some time for you, The Deep End is the shit and i'll link it up here so cunts can get an earful, but you're the epitome of an office bitch. Grow up, old man, or fuck off & sip Champagne, makes no difference.

https://salaamhelicoid.bandcamp.com/track/the-deep-end

this guy

I like this guy. where were you when I was being a little bitch?

4 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

This. I've only been around for a year, but it's evident that WATMM is an awfully toxic place full of inside jokes which only people who came here 50 years ago get. And if you didn't come here 50 years ago you're an alien. But I have no one IRL to talk about IDMz so I'm here to put up with it.  :catbleed:

rules the read

There were maybe a couple of people that were shitty, but they left a long time ago. 

The Ask Autechre Anything era was increbible 

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I was the most popular watmmer on July 4. Fireworks were going off across the water and everything.  You should've been there.

My dog spontaneously combusted for you that day. Real special sight. Big show!

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

LOL - your "little bird" wouldn't happen to be my Google Analytics, would it? 'cause you don't have access to that, do you?

The requirement for all new and renewing members to purchase a subscription has been in place since August 2013 - six years now. I implemented it because it was the same small group of people supporting the site, and in the interest of fairness I wanted everyone to contribute. The plan was to grandfather in the Members with a cutoff date TBD where posting would require a subscription, but I've held off on that, mostly due to the delayed forum upgrade, which is now done.

Again, been like that since 2013.

Care to expand on that? The Content Streams feature should be able to give you a customized experience that should meet most people's needs...

Now, with all that said - I am open to the idea of allowing optional subscriptions, Patreon, etc. as long as it doesn't result in resentment towards people who aren't paying, or who have never paid, etc. I am not really keen on the idea of Google AdSense or ads in general (plus people just AdBlock them).

We do make enough each month to cover our hosting and software costs on a regular basis now, and if things did get dire I could always do public outreach as I did in the past (although as I mentioned, I didn't think it was fair for the same bunch of people always paying while the majority got a 'free ride'.

One of my fears is if we open the floodgates so to speak, would the overall quality go down? You could argue the pay-to-play model keeps the trolls out (I can't recall the last time we banned anybody for instance).

I certainly want WATMM to grow, and we go through periods of slowness - but I assure you, we are very heavily trafficked, even if users aren't directly participating:

image.png

As you can see, that's 1 year's worth of analytics, and almost 90% are new people - I haven't wired in the subscribing users into GA yet so I can see how that tracks, so I can't really give hard numbers on that just yet.

Do the users spike after some announcement like a new Richard James release?

6 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

This. I've only been around for a year, but it's evident that WATMM is an awfully toxic place full of inside jokes which only people who came here 50 years ago get. And if you didn't come here 50 years ago you're an alien. But I have no one IRL to talk about IDMz so I'm here to put up with it.  :catbleed:

ive been here like 10 years and lurked before that and theres a bunch of inside jokes i dont get, but I've seen people who were here less than me using them.  I think some people repeat them without knowing what they mean

2 hours ago, B1000 said:

rules the read

if you want to drum up more site traffic, then judging by the autism spectrum scores thread, it might be good to start buying advertisements on websites with high rates of terminal autism like 4chan and reddit, they would be naturals

7 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

« The problem is everyone else, not me»

7 hours ago, zkom said:

Summer, innit?

Indeed.

23 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

« The problem is everyone else, not me»

Ahahahahaha, yes he's the problem with this forum. Not the toxicity that is obviously everywhere here.

Sounds like you're being defensive because you know you're part of it

Archived