IGNORED

WATMM is dying

hello spiral

7 minutes ago, vkxwz said:

Ahahahahaha, yes he's the problem with this forum. Not the toxicity that is obviously everywhere here.

Sounds like you're being defensive because you know you're part of it

why do you care what some people on a vietnamese washer machine recording addiction support group say

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, lickneonlights said:

This. I've only been around for a year, but it's evident that WATMM is an awfully toxic place full of inside jokes which only people who came here 50 years ago get. And if you didn't come here 50 years ago you're an alien. But I have no one IRL to talk about IDMz so I'm here to put up with it.  :catbleed:

It doesn't necessarily matter how long you've been a member, so long as your Dank Memes game is on point

There was one inside joke where people would put another person’s quote between two burger buns and I still never got what it meant.

6 minutes ago, Candiru said:

There was one inside joke where people would put another person’s quote between two burger buns and I still never got what it meant.

Someone tell me goddamnit

5 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Lol me neither but I got burgered at least once. I only remember feeling mildly annoyed about it.

4 minutes ago, andrd said:

just going on how many times youve asked in the span of one page, maybe assburgers?

Explain the burger thing.

i mean, watmm has had incredible longevity all things considered.  with how rapidly things are changing now, if this board is dying, i'd say it's because of larger things in play than anything to do with the board itself.  it kinda feels like the IDM community struggles to maintain itself nowadays anyway, and we're a small subsection of that already small subsection.

that said, this board did feel a bit difficult to approach at first, but that probably had more to do with me than the board itself.

58 minutes ago, Candiru said:

you've pretty much explained everything there is to explain. 

3 minutes ago, Candiru said:
8 minutes ago, andrd said:

just going on how many times youve asked in the span of one page, maybe assburgers?

7 minutes ago, Candiru said:
12 minutes ago, andrd said:

3 hours ago, xox said:
4 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

btw where's phling? ?

...and why usagi left?!

and why is chatmm empty allthetime?!

jordan peterson killed watmm

it's fucking simple: engage with and promote diversity of music discussion, or die.

people keep getting hung up on who's here and who's not and what people are like etc etc when that's not even the problem. regardless of what personalities come and go and what the mood or atmosphere on this board is like at any given time, what ties the place together as a "community" worth being a part of - what ensures the community's longevity - is the love of music. music is inexorably changing, evolving, moving forward, especially electronic music which moves at lightspeed compared to most other stuff. for a bunch of apparently super forward-thinking dudes (and it's only dudes, the women have left already) who like to claim intellectual avantgarde status, most people here ignore this fact and stay facing backwards. yes, let's have more AFX soundalike shit, doesn't matter that there's so much other shit, both old and new, to explore.

all new musical fires have faded in time or morphed/been subsumed into something else, and in historical context idm has had a pretty long time in the sun, like fucking decades compared to other movements which have lasted just a few years. we're all lucky to have been a part of it but can you really picture a board dedicated to AFX and Ae existing in a vacuum indefinitely, until you're 50 or something? people leave because their passions move forward and WATMM doesn't move with them, the environment isn't conducive to a broadening of minds anymore. to be clear, this is not about not enjoying AFX or Ae anymore, it's about preventing an ever shrinking 'gene' pool of discussion and ideas which increasingly characterises this board. I will love Ae til I die, but I listen to metal more than anything else these days. just a couple of years ago you could browse the new releases subforum and find something to accommodate for that and which might even send you off on a journey you hadn't expected - that's no longer the case (though special shoutout to the metal thread, a haven in the wasteland).

this responsibility is on the community itself, it's not like the mods or dad are suppressing you.

To be on topic, I think IDM has been fully absorbed into the cultural hivemind at this point. There's a bit of IDM sprinkled into pop music here and there and these sounds aren't only for a select few anymore, they belong to us all, yo. 

So we talk about Aphex, Paradinas, BoC, tha 'chre, and we love them so, but I handed in my IDM card years ago because fuckin'? METAL ?is the new ?IDM now. I check out a few new IDMs here and there, but METAL

Archived