IGNORED

WATMM is dying

hello spiral

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, usagi said:

it's fucking simple: engage with and promote diversity of music discussion, or die.

people keep getting hung up on who's here and who's not and what people are like etc etc when that's not even the problem. regardless of what personalities come and go and what the mood or atmosphere on this board is like at any given time, what ties the place together as a "community" worth being a part of - what ensures the community's longevity - is the love of music. music is inexorably changing, evolving, moving forward, especially electronic music which moves at lightspeed compared to most other stuff. for a bunch of apparently super forward-thinking dudes (and it's only dudes, the women have left already) who like to claim intellectual avantgarde status, most people here ignore this fact and stay facing backwards. yes, let's have more AFX soundalike shit, doesn't matter that there's so much other shit, both old and new, to explore.

all new musical fires have faded in time or morphed/been subsumed into something else, and in historical context idm has had a pretty long time in the sun, like fucking decades compared to other movements which have lasted just a few years. we're all lucky to have been a part of it but can you really picture a board dedicated to AFX and Ae existing in a vacuum indefinitely, until you're 50 or something? people leave because their passions move forward and WATMM doesn't move with them, the environment isn't conducive to a broadening of minds anymore. to be clear, this is not about not enjoying AFX or Ae anymore, it's about preventing an ever shrinking 'gene' pool of discussion and ideas which increasingly characterises this board. I will love Ae til I die, but I listen to metal more than anything else these days. just a couple of years ago you could browse the new releases subforum and find something to accommodate for that and which might even send you off on a journey you hadn't expected - that's no longer the case (though special shoutout to the metal thread, a haven in the wasteland).

this responsibility is on the community itself, it's not like the mods or dad are suppressing you.

You returned at the exact moment where I posted something kind of similar and talks about how metal eventually conquers IDM as the king of the musical mountain. 

6 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

@hello spiral you want a direct answer?

if yourself & various other cocknoscientis weren't such a punnet of clenched assholes, capable of taking on an actual debate w/out recourse to chatroom (as Sir Ben Kingsley so eloquently put it in Sexy Beast) innsinuendos & the kind of bs you might expect in an episode of The Real Housewives or a sorority house club, canoodling like gimps doing god knows what to each other cos every cult within a cult needs extra discipline & punishments encoded into it to survive, then the world might open up to your self-imposed cultural imperialism.

maaan i had some time for you, The Deep End is the shit and i'll link it up here so cunts can get an earful, but you're the epitome of an office bitch. Grow up, old man, or fuck off & sip Champagne, makes no difference.

https://salaamhelicoid.bandcamp.com/track/the-deep-end

Wow. I can’t tell if this post is serious or a laugh (I think it’s serious). 

12 minutes ago, beer badger said:

Wow. I can’t tell if this post is serious or a laugh (I think it’s serious). 

I just assume everything is for a laugh, because 99% of the time it doesn't matter if it's serious

Yes quite so. One way I know it's 2019 and I'm different is that even invoking the bits of that old WATMM meme made me feel somewhat bad. It makes me feel sheepish to say "faggy synth wash" because I wouldn't want it to upset gay people I know in real life. Maybe the internet really is a young man's game

Metal may have been where all the interesting things were going on in 2015 but right now it’s back to what it always was: cheesy cliché-ridden party music with corny vocals.

As opposed to IDM which is now, and has always been, cheesy, corny and completely and utterly unsuitable for parties.

6 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I didn't realize metal and IDM were in direct musical conflict.

North Face jacket vs crawling inside an elk carcass.

But honestly when it comes to "extreme" metal I think it's just another genre that most normies don't consider venturing into. It's off-putting for many. But both have a certain orthodoxy about them. I know IDM can be extreme.

2019 is a weird time for music in general. IT's rare when I listen to music and go "Wow never heard this before". There are still original artists, but I feel like 99% of new releases are rehashing old sounds. Often the most innovative stuff isn't new but old ideas done better (well sometimes). Even the most innovative stuff these days I feel I've heard before to some extent, even if the take on it is different. Doesn't mean I think what I'm hearing isn't great though.

In 20+ years they may just... run out of new sounds. lol. Acid will probably become popular again before then, then we can start all over again.

trust WATMM to turn this into pitting genre x against genre y, the most pointless circlejerk of an argument you can ever have in music.

18 minutes ago, xxx said:

Yes quite so. One way I know it's 2019 and I'm different is that even invoking the bits of that old WATMM meme made me feel somewhat bad. It makes me feel sheepish to say "faggy synth wash" because I wouldn't want it to upset gay people I know in real life. Maybe the internet really is a young man's game

I know why you said it. people who don't simply need to RTR.

4 minutes ago, StephenG said:

get off my lawn

* throws newspaper straight to stephens head while popping a wheel and finishing it off with a tripple axel *

1 minute ago, usagi said:

trust WATMM to turn this into pitting genre x against genre y, the most pointless circlejerk of an argument you can ever have in music.

stressful day?

12 hours ago, hello spiral said:

I come back after 8hrs and like 5 threads are bumped. I know it has slow periods/phases, but this seems not that.

Thoughts?

Might this have something to do with the fact that the front page now only shows 5 threads when it used to show 10?

Archived