IGNORED

Barker - Utility

20 minutes ago, species8472 said:

AOTY

Potentially ex-aequo with Rrose’s upcoming LP. Rian Treanor’s Ataxia is also a strong contender.

But yeah, might totally end my AOTY as well. Can’t wait to get my vinyle and flacs.

to play devils advocate.. i think this is good but not amazing.. every song has a similar palette (wow check out my modular synth).  dont doubt that id love to hear it on a club soundsystem, but for home listening i dont think it could hold my attention

Edited by markedone

Loving the LP really, I'm delighted. It has a unique sense of combined restraint and euphoria, sheer lushness.

Potentially a future classic and certainly personal favorite. Just wish "Wireheading" was longer ?

On 9/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, xxx said:

Oh me brothers, I got in the cups tonight and while this album was cumlush sober, it just really started fuckin' hittin' after some cheap Cabernet. On "Paradise Engineering", I was so satisfied floating between B minor and A major--very Bochum Welt. Those other staccato counterpoint bits flying into those pads is like pretzel sticks in molten chocolate.

As if that wasn't enough, he hits that....fuck, I dunno, a diminished F sharp minor? It just sends opiate waves up my back for some reason. Here, I hope I don't regret this or get copyright struck:

Amazing, ty. This cements this album's position as a future classic, imho.

Really, really, really digging what I've heard so far (only about 1/3rd in). Was listening on my good headphones when I started and immediately thought, fuck why don't I always listen on these, things sound so much more detailed and lush. In bed now with a cheap pair and it definitely wasn't the headphones doing the work. 

I disagree with the boring sentiment, this is like a warm audio bath you just lie down in and watch the sea creatures float by while the undergrowth gently tickles your sides. At the same time you're also walking home through an industrial area late in a crisp spring morning after partying all night, feeling slightly euphoric at the promise of a new day and slightly weirded out by what's supposed to be daily life.    

Edited by user

It's a decent album, but some insolent part of me is still pining for Utility 2: The Basslines and Utility 3: The Kickdrums:tongue:

Btw., does anyone else get a distant "Alberto Balsa(l)m" vibe from the last track?

4 hours ago, IDEM said:

Btw., does anyone else get a distant "Alberto Balsa(l)m" vibe from the last track?

Yeah i hear it.  its a great album closer, once you get in the groove it doesnt feel like 9m long.  I do feel like some of the songs on this album just fade out or end like he didnt know how to end it.  But that one feels 'complete'.

Since no one has brought it up.. how horrible is that album cover.. i immediately think of those douchey ed hardy shirts whenever i see it

Edited by markedone

42 minutes ago, markedone said:

Yeah i hear it.  its a great album closer, once you get in the groove it doesnt feel like 9m long.  I do feel like some of the songs on this album just fade out or end like he didnt know how to end it.  But that one feels 'complete'.

Since no one has brought it up.. how horrible is that album cover.. i immediately think of those douchey ed hardy shirts whenever i see it

I guess this cover and the one from his previous ep are inspired by Japanese paintings ?

• Like 1